Move and copy files add-on for Windows Explorer?

ceed

Hi,

I have been playing around with a lot of stand-alone file managers on
Windows XP. I end up coming back to Explorer. It's actually quite good
except for one thing: It's not easy to copy and move a lot of files
between directories. Two pane file managers are much better for this kind
things. Are there freeware add-ons for Windows Explorer that addresses the
copy and move file issues? I have tried some in the past, and have been
looking around today, but I am not able to find anything that seems to be
very good.

Suggestions would be appreciated. Please, do not recommend any stand alone
solutions. I have been through them all, and as I said, I always come back
to Explorer after a while.

badgolferman

Hi,

I have been playing around with a lot of stand-alone file managers on
Windows XP. I end up coming back to Explorer. It's actually quite
good except for one thing: It's not easy to copy and move a lot of
files between directories. Two pane file managers are much better
for this kind things. Are there freeware add-ons for Windows
Explorer that addresses the copy and move file issues? I have tried
some in the past, and have been looking around today, but I am not
able to find anything that seems to be very good.

Suggestions would be appreciated. Please, do not recommend any stand
alone solutions. I have been through them all, and as I said, I
always come back to Explorer after a while.

If you set up Windows Explorer to open separate windows you can have as
many folders open on your Desktop as you wish. I have six commonly
used folder shortcuts on my Desktop for exactly such use on times when
I don't use my favorite dual pane file manager.

Tom McDonald

ceed
<ceed@abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyzabcdefghijk.com
wrote in news:blush:p.st57vmsz21xk10@bobdello:
Hi,

I have been playing around with a lot of stand-alone file managers on
Windows XP. I end up coming back to Explorer. It's actually quite good
except for one thing: It's not easy to copy and move a lot of files
between directories. Two pane file managers are much better for this
kind things. Are there freeware add-ons for Windows Explorer that
addresses the copy and move file issues? I have tried some in the
past, and have been looking around today, but I am not able to find
anything that seems to be very good.

Suggestions would be appreciated. Please, do not recommend any stand
alone solutions. I have been through them all, and as I said, I
always come back to Explorer after a while.

You may already have tried it, but I find FolderBox a very convenient
addition to Windows Exlporer, the free version puts up to 5 additional
Window panes at your disposal. Move and copy to your heart's content.
Turn it on or off as you please from within Explorer.
http://www.baxbex.com/products.html

A similar program, although I haven't tried it, is MagicBasket. You'll
have to search for the last freeware version, this link is to the current
$W, and I offer it only so that you can read the description.
http://www.daolnwod.com/magic_basket_9288.htm

Mel

Hi,

I have been playing around with a lot of stand-alone file managers on
Windows XP. I end up coming back to Explorer. It's actually quite good
except for one thing: It's not easy to copy and move a lot of files
between directories. Two pane file managers are much better for this kind
things. Are there freeware add-ons for Windows Explorer that addresses the
copy and move file issues? I have tried some in the past, and have been
looking around today, but I am not able to find anything that seems to be
very good.

Suggestions would be appreciated. Please, do not recommend any stand alone
solutions. I have been through them all, and as I said, I always come back
to Explorer after a while.
Have you tried opening multiple "explorer windows" (gives you two panes
for copy/move of files)?

or

The send-to "any folder" power toy?

ceed

Have you tried opening multiple "explorer windows" (gives you two panes
for copy/move of files)?

Yes I have. Even that is a bit much for me to have to deal with :)

I have continued to Google around and finally found an old piece of
freeware called FileTargets (http://www.moonsoftware.com/download.asp).
Pretty slick after you spend a few minutes configureing it. Since I mostly
move to and from the same few folders FileTargets seems to do the job. I
will keep this one for a while and see if it lasts.. :)

Thank you all for advice!

Michael Salem

ceed said:
I have been playing around with a lot of stand-alone file managers on
Windows XP. I end up coming back to Explorer. It's actually quite good
except for one thing: It's not easy to copy and move a lot of files
between directories. Two pane file managers are much better for this kind
things. Are there freeware add-ons for Windows Explorer that addresses the
copy and move file issues? I have tried some in the past, and have been
looking around today, but I am not able to find anything that seems to be
very good.

I have been flamed for mentioning impure trial-ware, but will stick my
head briefly over the parapet as you seem to have tried everything else.
Total Commander, http://www.ghisler.com/ Free unlimited trial with a
splash screen. Use it immediately, learn more and more useful things it
can do as you get into it. Note: right-click and hold for 3 seconds to
get context menus.

HTH,

Mel

I have continued to Google around and finally found an old piece of
freeware called FileTargets (http://www.moonsoftware.com/download.asp).
Pretty slick after you spend a few minutes configureing it. Since I mostly
move to and from the same few folders FileTargets seems to do the job. I
will keep this one for a while and see if it lasts.. :)

Maybe this will be worth looking at:

Drag and Drop Shell Robot - is a utility to help power users easily
peform operations on large numbers of files and folders.

You can create any number of configuration files by specifying a target
application and various commandline parameters or options. To use the
program, you simply select a configuration file and drag & drop files
and folders onto the queue window, and click Start. Then sit back while
the operation proceeds through your files. You can also export commands
to a batch file instead of immediate operation.

http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Mouser/dragdrop/index.html

Susan Bugher

Tom said:
A similar program, although I haven't tried it, is MagicBasket. You'll
have to search for the last freeware version, this link is to the current
$W, and I offer it only so that you can read the description.
http://www.daolnwod.com/magic_basket_9288.htm

Burnr hosts v 1.1 on his site - is that the *last* freeware version?

Program: Magic Basket
Author: Eugene Mihailov
Ware: (Freeware)
http://freeware4u.com/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=167