Motherboard/RAM compatibility

Reaction score
Does anyone know how to check out which available motherboards are compatible with PC100 RAM? It is easy to do it the other way round, ie what memory should be used with a particular motherboard but I need a new motherboard which can use PC100 RAM. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

:confused: :) Thanks

Reaction score

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
If I had the majority of components that used PC100 memory then I would be tempted to make it a Linux box ... but to try and build a "PC" around just memory, and old stuff at that, is really, a waste of money.

Sorry for the bluntness of my previous post ... I just write them as I see 'em. :D

Reaction score
Muckshifter is correct.
If the mother is the only thing ya need I think its ok to use the PC100.

Its not a good idea if ya need a lot of parts and building your future power machine.

If your building a Intell P4 machine you will need 2 sticks of DDR memory, wont work with just 1 stick.

Intell P3 only needs 1, and AMD only needs 1 stick.

In the AMD mother specs if it says 3GB total and it has three stick slots dont start with 512MB. After time that will be a waste of money cause what will ya do will that stick if ya want to fill it 3GB. 3/1 Get a 1GB stick to start if ya dont have the bucks for all 3.

Dont get memorys that will go over the total board specs thats a waste also.

The same with Intell P4 boards if the specs say 4GB and it has four slots get 2 sticks of 1GB to start.
Board specs say 6GB has four stick slots get 1.5GB sticks.

I hope this helps you.

Thats the best way to budget build.

Last edited:

Ask a Question