Monitor - repair or disposal?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I've just purchased a replacement monitor because my old one failed; but before taking it to the local Civic Amenity site (or electrical retailer for recycling) I thought it might be wise to check on whether it might be repairable.

To clarify... there is a local cancer charity store, they are one of very few places around here, that will accept donations of electrical goods and re-sell them. They have access to an electrician who checks/repairs items first. The store is staffed by volunteers who just pass things on to him, so it's not possible to have a word with him directly - and I wouldn't want to waste his time with something which might be completely cream-crackered. That's why I'm wondering if someone here might recognise the symptoms and be able to offer me some guidance please.

The monitor is a 19 in BenQ FP91G+ (square, not widescreen.) It's now 5 yrs old, but the screen had no dead pixels, or scratches. It can still display a picture, but only at a very bright level (to the point of bleaching paler colours completely.) This happened very suddenly - working fine one moment, but then the colours brightened and no amount of tweaking with the brightness/contrast buttons could alter it. So does this sound like a do-able soldering job, or really not worth the bother?

Thanks guys :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It could be a damaged inverter, if this 'electrician' has any experience with monitors, he'll see it straight away. (pun intended, just in case you missed it :) )

He may be able to either fix it, or salvage it. Pass it on. :nod:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
It could be a damaged inverter, if this 'electrician' has any experience with monitors, he'll see it straight away. (pun intended, just in case you missed it :) )

He may be able to either fix it, or salvage it. Pass it on. :nod:
Thanks Mucks - I appreciate the reply (wouldn't want to end-up insulting anyone by passing on total doo-doo :D)

Do you mean the Dump? :D
I do indeed :cool: though heaven forefend that our Council should hear it referred to that way. They have it all neatly set out with large skips, and designated areas for different kinds of throw-outs. :lol:

Ask a Question