A Confession....

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I have a Confession to make......... Its happened again. Upgradeitus. :blush:

I've went and ordered this yesterday.... http://www.amazon.co.uk/BenQ-XL2420...BMTU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354226306&sr=8-1

Just set it up, Its amazing! Much better than my old Samsung, I do miss the slightly bigger screen, the Sammy was 1920 x 1200 this is 1920 x 1080, but its not really an issue.

I've had my eye on a 120Hz monitor for a while and this one kept coming up as being particularly good especially with its ultra low response time. I also wanted a monitor with HDMI, display port etc. Which this has.

I shall try and get some pics up sooner or later, but for now heres a review of it. - http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_xl2420t.htm

I've just finished calibrating it to the settings on that website, and have installed the relevant icc profile. Which made an immediate difference. Think its still a little bright though at the mo, but i'll continue to fine tune it as and when.

But suffice to say, i'm very happy with it, I honestly didn't expect it to be 'that' much better.

Right now, i am off to play some games... :cool:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ha, trust me, it would be actually amazing! :D

On topic, this monitor is fantastic! BF3 looks superb! I run it all maxed out and it runs fine (its actually a slightly lower resolution now from 1200 down to 1080 high) but its so smooth and it genuinely looks better...

Have not tried the 'Black EQ' yet, will give that a go later.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Lovely monitor V_R, I hope you'll get lots of enjoyment from it.

Of course, I'm a bit biased, (I purchased a BenQ RL2450HT a few months ago.) Mine has the Black EQ feature also, in fact it was a contributary reason for making the purchase. I find it to be a really useful feature.... no more groping around blindly, in impossibly dark caverns/dungeons or whatever. The resolution is set at 1920x1080 also, which I find pretty good.

TBH I'm rather envious of the S-Switch your monitor has; altering the pre-sets looks as if it would be a whole lot easier than fiddling with the side buttons. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
That one is actually one of the monitors i was originally looking at. I didn't actually have any intention of spending that much on a monitor at first, and tbh i had my reservations about the cost. I was only going to spend, at most £200

Thought that said i'm glad i got it, it is very nice.

Had a quick blast on Skyrim and even that looked a lot better. Its hard to explain, everything just looks, well, nicer.

The S Switch, hmmm, not made up my mind about that yet, i tried it twice yesterday, and twice it buggered up my nice calibrated settings! Though i think that may have, in part been my fault! :blush:

Its nice to have a HDMI socket now, once its setup i will be able to play the xbox without the thread of becoming single....! :lol:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
V_R said:
Had a quick blast on Skyrim and even that looked a lot better. Its hard to explain, everything just looks, well, nicer.
Think I know what you mean... things look very vibrant and "alive" making a game much more immersive, imho anyway. Even though I've had mine for several months now, I still notice how clear and "real" everything looks in my favourite game. (Notice that I didn't shamelessly plug GW2....Ooops! :D)

I'm using the HDMI socket to connect the monitor to the PC... though I use separate speakers for sound. (Not actually tried the monitor's own sound, so have no idea what it's like...)

I enjoyed the review you linked to btw, it's really interesting.

Ask a Question