Modem Problem

RG

I have a compaq presario laptop. It has a wild configuration set up by
someone else. Both windows xp home and windows xp pro were installed to the
same partition. Is this an acceptable configuration or is this downright
garbage and should be reinstalled with one os per partition? Also, when
dialing out the modem gives an error 720 after registering computer and user
on the network. I went over the settings on the modem several time and
don't see any problems.

Thanks in advance

Thorsten Matzner

RG said:
I have a compaq presario laptop. It has a wild configuration set up by
someone else. Both windows xp home and windows xp pro were installed to the
same partition. Is this an acceptable configuration or is this downright
garbage and should be reinstalled with one os per partition? Also, when
dialing out the modem gives an error 720 after registering computer and user
on the network. I went over the settings on the modem several time and
don't see any problems.

1. If there is no need for two Windows installations (mostly this is
true), remove one.
2. See ""Error 720" Error Message When You Try to Establish a Dial-Up
Connection to the Internet"
(http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810979).

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi RG,

Thank you for posting here.

From your post my understanding of this issue is: You got ¡°error 720¡±
when you dial-up. If this is not correct, please feel free to let me know.

Your first issue seems to be indifferent whether you install the 2 OS on
one partition or on separate partitions, but we strongly recommend that
don¡¯t install two OS on one partition, because it is hard for us to
troubleshoot this kind of problem to determine if it is caused by OS
conflict or other reasons. Please understand that our partner newsgroup is
an issue based service, meaning we usually respond to one question/issue
per post. From your description, this issue seems to happen in one Windows
XP OS, so let us focus on your break-fix issue.

Base on my research, these issues may occur if the Winsock registry keys
are damaged or corrupted. To solve this issue, please try following steps
to determine whether the Winsock registry is destroyed:

Method 1: Use the Netdiag tool.

=========================

1. Click "Start", click "Run", type "Command" (without the quotation
marks), and then click "OK".

2. Type "netdiag /test:winsock" (without the quotation marks), and then
press ENTER.

The Netdiag tool will return the test results for several network
components, including the Winsock. For more details about the test, use
"/v" (without the quotation marks) at the end of the netdiag command:
"netdiag /test:winsock /v " (without the quotation marks)

Note: To use the Netdiag tool, you must install the Microsoft Windows XP
Support Tools from Windows XP CD first.

Method 2: Use the Msinfo32 program

===========================
Note Use this method only if you do not have a Windows XP Setup CD and you
do not have Support Tools installed.

1. Click "Start", click "Run", type "Msinfo32", and then click "OK".

2. Expand "Components", expand "Network", and then click "Protocol".

3. You will have ten sections under "Protocol". The section headings will
include the following names if the Winsock2 key is undamaged.

If the Netdiag test fails, or if you determined that there is Winsock
corruption by looking at Msinfo32, you must repair the Winsock2 key by
using the following steps.

To repair Winsock if you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) installed,
type "netsh winsock reset" (without the quotation marks) at the command
prompt, and then press ENTER.

To repair Winsock if you do not have Windows XP SP2 installed, delete the
corrupted registry keys, and then reinstall the TCP/IP protocol.

For more detail information, please refer to following article:

811259 How to determine and recover from Winsock2 corruption

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=811259

Additionally, following article should also be helpful.

299357 How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=299357

I hope that the above information can be of assistance. If you have any
concerns, please feel free to let me know. I am glad to be of assistance.

Thanks & Regards,

Vincent Xu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "RG" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Modem Problem
| Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 22:15:53 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.hardware
|
| I have a compaq presario laptop. It has a wild configuration set up by
| someone else. Both windows xp home and windows xp pro were installed to
the
| same partition. Is this an acceptable configuration or is this downright
| garbage and should be reinstalled with one os per partition? Also, when
| dialing out the modem gives an error 720 after registering computer and
user
| on the network. I went over the settings on the modem several time and
| don't see any problems.
|

| Thanks in advance

RG

Thanks for your help.

How do I remove window installation preserving integrity of another windows
installation?

Vincent Xu [MSFT]

Hi RG,

I noticed your requirment,I'd like to provide you another way to remove one
system.

1. Boot into the system which you wnat to preserve (ex. Windows XP Pro).

2.Make a system backup.

3.Format the partition.

4.Restore the system restore.

I hope the information above will be helpful.

Have a nice day!

Vincent Xu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

Business-Critical Phone Support (BCPS) provides you with technical phone
support at no charge during critical LAN outages or "business down"
situations. This benefit is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all
Microsoft technology partners in the United States and Canada.

This and other support options are available here:
BCPS:
https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/40010469
Others: https://partner.microsoft.com/US/technicalsupport/supportoverview/

Support page: http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx.