Mobile Apps

Reaction score
The av software on my samsung S3 mini has started to flag up WhatsApp instant messaging.
It is flagged up as malware, but not had the problem before?
Any ideas on whether to delete the software or to keep it?
Not if it's after other instant messaging apps have been hacked?

Reaction score
Other sites being flagged up as malware now.
Any other good mobile anti virus to use on my mobile?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
What AV are you running? FWIW i dont use AV on my phone.

Installed any new apps recently?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Other sites being flagged up as malware now.
Any other good mobile anti virus to use on my mobile?

zero :)

A phone doesn't operate the same as a PC, you need to get away from the notion of 'infection' and think 'bad-app' installed.

Only get your 'apps' form the relative stores, such as Android apps from Google Store.

:user:

Reaction score
What AV are you running? FWIW i dont use AV on my phone.

Installed any new apps recently?
None.
And i do only install apps from samsungs play store.
Thanks for the input V_R & Muckshifter.:thumb:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So when you say....
The av software on my samsung S3 mini has started to flag up WhatsApp instant messaging

What do you mean by AV software? You mean Android itself? As Android does have a for of malware scanning built into the OS.

Next time it does it take a screenshot (hold home and power buttons for a second) and post it here.

So you've not installed any new games or something that may have bundled adware? Thats the usual, most common thing. I can't imagine you sideload much do you? :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Google play and IOS appstore have massive checks on all the software that resides there, not so sure about samsungs offerings though, they may not be as stringent

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Google play and IOS appstore have massive checks on all the software that resides there, not so sure about samsungs offerings though, they may not be as stringent

Actually the Play stores 'checks' in comparison to Apples is nothing, Apple have many steps to go though before your app is released onto the app store, where as an Android ap have very little. Google has the Bouncer that scans the Play store, thats about it. ;)

Thats why there is a wider variety of apps on GP, Like WiFi scanners. :p

That said, there is very very small amounts of malware on GP, and you can usually tell the apps from a mile away, free music, naked girls etc. :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I made the move to Android this week (got a Samsung Galaxy Note 3) and this morning I had an alert that a link I had followed in an app lead to an untrustworthy site and that I should scan for viruses. I trust the app and I didn't have any AV at the time so I downloaded Avast based on reviews, and it didn't pick up any problems when I ran the scan. My experience is very limited, but Avast might be worth a try!

Reaction score
Becky, Avast is what i did have.
It went a bit silly when it thought BBC News app was malware!
All uninstalled now & i have the apps i need now.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Ah I see, glad it's all sorted now. Fingers crossed I don't run into similar problems with Avast!!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Nice! How are you finding it?

I really like it! There's a lot to get my head around - the iPhone was easy in comparison, there are so many more options with the Note 3. The reason I chose a big phone is that I hardly use my phone as a phone, but I didn't think it was worth me having a tablet as well as a phone, so the Note 3 does both.

So far my favourite app is Sketchbook - I've recently taken up painting, so I like being able to sketch ideas. The S-Pen is great for that!

Any apps or widgets you'd recommend?

Reaction score
Whatsapp as you can send as many texts to another user of the app & it's free.
Cerbeus in case you mobile gets stolen

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I really like it! There's a lot to get my head around - the iPhone was easy in comparison, there are so many more options with the Note 3. The reason I chose a big phone is that I hardly use my phone as a phone, but I didn't think it was worth me having a tablet as well as a phone, so the Note 3 does both.

So far my favourite app is Sketchbook - I've recently taken up painting, so I like being able to sketch ideas. The S-Pen is great for that!

I've got a Note 10.1 2014, Thats got the S Pen, I originally didn't think i'#d use it, but actually I use it almost all the time!

Whatsapp as you can send as many texts to another user of the app & it's free.
Cerbeus in case you mobile gets stolen

:eek:

What Feckit said! lol

Cerbrus is well worth the money, https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.lsdroid.cerberus - Plus you can have up to five devices on one account.

Whatsapp is a must imo, I use it all the time.

Also for me Chrome (Bookmark sync) is a must and Feedly for news feeds.

Lastly, ditch the touchwiz launcher and install Nova instead. ;)

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.launcher

After that its up to you. :)

Oh and try Google Keyboard, Swype or Swiftkey as a replacement for the stock one. I found the Samsung keyboard awful on my S4. Though on the 10.1 its actually much better so that will be very much personal preference.

If you get stuck with anything fee free to ask. :)

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score

As has already been said by Feckit and VR plus maybe some of these too

Install the Amazon appstore as they give a free decent app away every 24 hours, they are normally the Pro or paid for versions not just free versions that get offered by umpteen other apps..

CleanMaster : One-stop shop for cleaning junk and freeing up Ram and resources :)

ES File Explorer : needs no introduction :nod:

Podcast addict : Every podcast under the sun :bow:

HiddenEye : Takes a pic if someone tries to access your phone..:thumb:

Flightradar24 : excellent for tracking aircraft and keeping an eye on when friends and family arrive at the airport

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'm a bit pushed for time this morning but I'll try and take a look properly later :nod:

Ask a Question