MN-100 Router

D

D

I have acquired a Microsoft MN-100 Router. I have a network of 2 computers
running windows 2000. I plan to share a DSL connection.

How do I do this ? It keeps saying that I cannot install a base station on
a machine running windows 2000. Is there no work around for this ? Do I
really have to downgrade one of my computers ?

Thanks in advance

S

Steven L Umbach

The consumer routers usually have pretty good instructions and if you don't have them
for some reason you can usually download them at the manufactures website.

Generally you connect the cable modem to the wan port on the router and then connect
the two computers to ports on the switch. Then you connect to the router with a web
interface by accessing it's lan side IP address which usually is 192.168.0.1 or
192.168.1.1 to configure it. First configure your computers to be on the same network
either via static IP addresses or enable them to use dhcp for automatic configuration
of IP via the router that acts as a dhcp server. The network address of a class C
network is the first three octets of the IP address as in 192.168.1.xxx. You can view
current IP info on a W2K computer by entering ipconfig /all at the command line.
Another tip is to unplug the power from both the modem and router. The plug in the
modem first and wait a few minutes until the indicator lights show a go state. The
plug in the router so that it initializes and hopefully acquires and IP address from
the cable modem. --- Steve

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/broadbandnetworking/10_ProductDocumentation.mspx --
documentation link.

R

Richard G. Harper

The router itself works fine with any operating system, it's just the
easy-configure software that won't work on Windows 2000. Plug the router
in, connect one of your Windows 2000 PCs to it, open a command window and
use IPCONFIG /RELEASE then IPCONFIG /RENEW to get an address from the
router, finally go to http://192.168.2.1 with Internet Explorer and you can
access the router configuration from Explorer.

Ask a Question