Missing or corrupt c_437.nls.

samuelb

When I start my pc I get this message 'Windows could not
start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\C_437.NLS. What to do next?.
Appreciate help. Have tried running repair Windows XP
and it doesnt help. Thanks.

Ben

samuelb said:
When I start my pc I get this message 'Windows could not
start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\C_437.NLS. What to do next?.
Appreciate help. Have tried running repair Windows XP
and it doesnt help. Thanks.

I have encountered this problem on more than one occasion on my gf's
computer. I've been told the file is used by the Windows language
packs, but I'm not positive. I'd be curious to know if you have any
other languages installed besides the default...

Here's how to fix this problem:

1. Boot your computer from your Windows installation CD.
2. Select 'R' for the recovery console and log on as administrator.
3. At the command prompt type the following:

EXPAND -R D:\I386\c_437.nl_ C:\WINDOWS\system32\c_437.nls

(If your CD drive is different than D: or your primary hard
drive/partition is other than C:, substitute the appropriate drive
letters.)

4. Select yes when you're prompted to overwrite the existing file.
5. Reboot the computer.

Depending on the level of file corruption, you may have to repeat this
process for another file. (I've had to repeat the process for
c_1252.nls as well.)

Hope this helps.

Joined
Apr 3, 2006
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Follow-Up Question to Missing or Corrupt c_437.nls

Ben said:
"samuelb" wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> When I start my pc I get this message 'Windows could not
> start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
> WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\C_437.NLS. What to do next?.
> Appreciate help. Have tried running repair Windows XP
> and it doesnt help. Thanks.

I have encountered this problem on more than one occasion on my gf's
computer. I've been told the file is used by the Windows language
packs, but I'm not positive. I'd be curious to know if you have any
other languages installed besides the default...

Here's how to fix this problem:

1. Boot your computer from your Windows installation CD.
2. Select 'R' for the recovery console and log on as administrator.
3. At the command prompt type the following:

EXPAND -R D:\I386\c_437.nl_ C:\WINDOWS\system32\c_437.nls

(If your CD drive is different than D: or your primary hard
drive/partition is other than C:, substitute the appropriate drive
letters.)

4. Select yes when you're prompted to overwrite the existing file.
5. Reboot the computer.

Depending on the level of file corruption, you may have to repeat this
process for another file. (I've had to repeat the process for
c_1252.nls as well.)

Hope this helps.

Hi there.

I also got this same error and could not boot my Dell Latitude D400 normally.

This is a laptop and has no built-in cd rom... instead it has an external cd-rom. I followed the instructions posted here but I got an error message parameter is not valid.

This are the steps that I have done so far:

1. Boot the laptop;
2. press F12 to go to boot menu;
3. Selected CD/DVD-RW Drive;
4. Press any key to boot to CD; worked fine...
5. Press R to repair;
6. At the recovery console, selected 1: C:\WINDOWS and hit enter;
7. This brought me to C:\WINDOWS> prompt;
8. Typed this C:\WINDOWS> EXPAND -R D:\I386\c_437.nl_ C:\WINDOWS\system32\c_437.nls
9. And got the error message: The parameter is not valid. Try /? for help.

I also tried if changing it to E:\I386 would help but to no avail. Did I miss something out here? Please help. Thanks a lot.

Kind regards,
Luke

Joined
Apr 17, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
i got the same problem.

first is first this is what i'm working with
Toshiba Satellite A100/A105 Series laptop
xp edition.

my original problem was a wsnpoem.sys file that i couldn't get removed for any of my efforts today. then i turned off the laptop and later went to reboot it gave me that problem. the old disk i got with the laptop( and it was direct from the company) was was just this recovery and applications drivers dvd disk. but i followed the steps posted b/c i once had to reformat my drives and followed those steps and it worked fine. now ever time it goes to load the disk is say loading ram image and then it just ends up restarting. and anything else i try doing windows won't boot at all. not even safemode with command prompt.

anyone got any advice?

Joined
Feb 27, 2021
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
So i found this XP computer and i have the same problem but i dont have any installation drive, can i use a USB stick?