missing files - iecont.dll and iecontlc

G

I have XP Home Edition. My computer connects to the internet ok (dial up @ 46600Kbps )but pages load very slow. Ive run disk check, defrag, window washer, Virus scan and spy bot (search and destroy) double checked DNS #s, nothing helped. I did notice while looking around somewhere on this thing that 2 files were missing. iecont.dll and iecontlc.dll. Could these be the problem? If so how do I reinstall them? If they are not the problem what are they for or go to?

G

thanks Kelly but, since I'm kind of new to this stuff exactly where do I find and download / install this .Net Framework1.1 ? I dont know what updates you are talking about.
Thanks
Chuck

G

Thanks, I did get it downloaded but the only thing that did was waste about 2 hours, the files are still missing and web pages still load real slow. On a good note the uninstall only took about 1 minute.
I downloaded, restarted the computer (4 times) and for the first time ever the welcome screen wanted to know what user ???( I'm the only user) and every time I checked the files were still missing and web pages were still slow. So, for the size of the download, web pages still slow and, not wanting to click on my name every time the computer started I uninstalled it and restarted the computer. Files still gone, web pages are slow to load but it no longer asks what user setting to use on the welcome screen. Any other ideas on how to get the files back or if they are even the cause of slow loading web pages?
Thanks
Chuck

H

Hilary Karp

Check, you can get back to not having to enter your name and password
easily enough. This change was a by-product of installing the .Net
framework. It created another user which then resulted in the screen
asking for which user to logon.-

1. Go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2 and press ok.

2. On the Users tab, clear the Users Must Enter A User Name And Password To
Use This Computer check box and then click OK.

3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the user name
and password for the account you want to be logged on each time you start
your computer.

Ask a Question