missing bootlog.txt

Mike Jacoubowsky

Trying to troubleshoot a machine that's in an endless reboot situation (one
of Microsoft's security updates apparently doesn't agree with it). It gets
as far as the Windows startup screen and then reboots, doesn't matter
whether safe mode or otherwise.

Trouble is, I can't get it to create a bootlog.txt file. Or at least I can't
find the one that's there (and yes, I have it set to search for hidden
files). Any ideas what could keep a machine from writing a bootlog.txt file?
I've tried telling it to during bootup (F8) as well as adding the option to
the boot.ini file.

Thanks-

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

It seems I'm in the same position as you re endless reboots and I'd be
interested to know what Microsoft Security Update you know that might have
caused this. As for me I found that my bootlog file is called ntbtlog.txt and
it's in the Windows folder, not at C: root level. I'm not sure how you're
going to be able to look at the file if you can't boot up in Safe Mode either.

Mike Jacoubowsky

It seems I'm in the same position as you re endless reboots and I'd be
interested to know what Microsoft Security Update you know that might have
caused this. As for me I found that my bootlog file is called ntbtlog.txt
and
it's in the Windows folder, not at C: root level. I'm not sure how you're
going to be able to look at the file if you can't boot up in Safe Mode
either.
Eventually I reinstalled my slipstreamed XP+SP2 operating system and went on
from there. I found, through painfully drawn-out trial & error, that there
were a whole lot (about 7) updates that this particular system didn't like.
In the end I'm going to reinstall from the ground-up and see if the problems
go away. What a pain.

Keep in mind you *can* delete a bunch of Security Updates without being able
to go into safe mode. You go to the Recovery Console and, in the directory
Windows is installed, you'll find a bunch of directories that start with a
$Nt etc. Each one of those directories represents an update previously
installed. Find the entries with the most-recent date; logically those are
your most-recently-installed updates. Go to the relevant directory, then the
subdirectory \spuninst. From that directory you type the command-

batch spuninst.txt

That will remove the update, and you may be able to boot your computer back
up again. Good luck!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello Mike,
The name of the log file is ntbtlog.txt, not bootlog.txt.
This should always be generated during Safe Mode selections, unless we
cannot gain a handle to harddrive to write the file.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]>
<Subject: missing bootlog.txt
<Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 10:49:17 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
<
<Trying to troubleshoot a machine that's in an endless reboot situation
(one
<of Microsoft's security updates apparently doesn't agree with it). It gets
<as far as the Windows startup screen and then reboots, doesn't matter
<whether safe mode or otherwise.
<
<Trouble is, I can't get it to create a bootlog.txt file. Or at least I
can't
<find the one that's there (and yes, I have it set to search for hidden
<files). Any ideas what could keep a machine from writing a bootlog.txt
file?
<I've tried telling it to during bootup (F8) as well as adding the option
<the boot.ini file.
<
<Thanks-
<