Mimic the Start menu

eXistenZ

Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Version: 5.00.2195 Service Pack 4
Internet Explorer: v 6.0.2800.1106
Outlook Express: v 6.0.2800.1106
-----------------------------------.
I am looking for a program that will mimic the
way in which the "Start" menu works.
ie: a list of folders in a tree like structure
with mouse over to then automatically reveal
the sub directories and contents.

Freeware if possible but I would be willing to pay.

Can anyone help me?

Michael Laplante

eXistenZ said:
I am looking for a program that will mimic the
way in which the "Start" menu works.
ie: a list of folders in a tree like structure
with mouse over to then automatically reveal
the sub directories and contents.

What are you trying to do? In Windows if you create a toolbar using a folder
you'll get that effect.

Alternately, something like PowerPro can do that as well, if you want to run
some combo of programs / files.

K3

FreeLaunchBar --> http://www.freelaunchbar.com/

--
Kendall F. Stratton III
Fort Fairfield, Maine USA

"Support Bacteria - It's the only culture some people have!"

John Jay Smith

I also agree with Truelauchbar (freelauchbar is the freeware version)

I use this all the time and its fantastic!

eXistenZ

Michael Laplante said:
What are you trying to do? In Windows if you create a toolbar using a folder
you'll get that effect.

Alternately, something like PowerPro can do that as well, if you want to run
some combo of programs / files.

I forgot about the new toolbar in Windows.
Thankyou for your reply.

eXistenZ

"John Jay Smith" <-> wrote in message I also agree with Truelauchbar (freelauchbar is the freeware version)
I use this all the time and its fantastic!

Thankyou K3 and John.
I'll give it a try.
________

eXistenZ
________

Watanye

eXistenZ said:
Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional
Version: 5.00.2195 Service Pack 4
Internet Explorer: v 6.0.2800.1106
Outlook Express: v 6.0.2800.1106
-----------------------------------.
I am looking for a program that will mimic the
way in which the "Start" menu works.
ie: a list of folders in a tree like structure
with mouse over to then automatically reveal
the sub directories and contents.

Freeware if possible but I would be willing to pay.

Can anyone help me?
PStart. It's actually developed for running applications from a USB
Flash Drive, but it should work for whatever you point the program to.

http://www.pegtop.net/start/index.htm

hummingbird

I forgot about the new toolbar in Windows.
Thankyou for your reply.

And if you're really smart you can create endless sub-directories for
the QuickLink toolbar facility and even customise their icons!

Howard Schwartz

nd if you're really smart you can create endless sub-directories for
the QuickLink toolbar facility and even customise their icons!

I am rediscovering some of the windows 3.1 menu programs, and attempts to
create things that imitated the start menu. Some of these certain still
work fine on windows 9x and beyond, and seems to work in a more sensibe
way to me:

Your actually executable line, and any options and variables go in a single
configuration file, not dozens of ``shortcuts'' each of which takes up
1K. You hit a key or double click the menu and up comes convenient menus
and submenus. You select one, its program starts, and the menu program
exits from memory (!) instead of sitting in memory forever for the whole
session. You memory cache makes these little menu or toolbar programs
quick to restart, etc.

Look, for instance at the old ``moo'' menu program.