Migrating a local user profile

I have a few computers that are currently operating in workgroup mode but
need to operate as members of our Active Directory Domain. In the past after
I have added the computers to the AD when the user logs in their setting are
lost and Windows XP has created a new user profile for the user. Copying the
old profile to the new profile does not seem to work very well. Is there any
way to copy the users settings to this new account or migrate the users
profile to the new domain configuration?

Torgeir Bakken \(MVP\)

Donovan said:
I have a few computers that are currently operating in workgroup mode but
need to operate as members of our Active Directory Domain. In the past after
I have added the computers to the AD when the user logs in their setting are
lost and Windows XP has created a new user profile for the user. Copying the
old profile to the new profile does not seem to work very well. Is there any
way to copy the users settings to this new account or migrate the users
profile to the new domain configuration?
Hi,

I solve this by (in the registry) changing the profile path for
the new user to point to the old user's profile folder (the user
needs to log on at least once first).

From: Bruce Sanderson ([email protected])
Subject: Re: Moving a W2K PC between domains
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.general
Date: 2002-08-05 17:32:49 PST
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=uz48D$NPCHA.612@tkmsftngp08

If the user is not a local admin, you might need to to something on the
permission side. Use tip 4631 and 2240 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at
http://www.jsiinc.com as a guide.

More here as well:

Subject: Lost profile when domain name changes
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mi...3d016f22ef1/3df2c9e942dd2f87#3df2c9e942dd2f87

HOW TO: Restore a User Profile in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;314045