Microsoft Web Site Problem?

I'm trying to install Defender, and for some reason the website is not
wanting to work for me. When I get to the point where MS wants to validate
my Windows, the ActiveX control doesn't pop up, so I click the link for the
Alternate Method, and when I hit the Continue button to run the tool, I get a
"The page cannot be displayed" error page. Does anyone else get this? I've
tried a bunch of times now.

Thanks for the reply, Engle.

Nifty test. I passed everything except the "Microsoft ActiveX controls
wants to load an ActiveX control... which of course doesn't load.

This is why I tried using the Alternate method for doing the validation. I
have no idea where to find answers to this one. Do you?

Bill Sanderson MVP

I wonder whether the alternative method might involve a popup which may be
being blocked by a popup blocker on your system?

Hi bman,

That link take me to D/L GenuineCheck.exe (1,388KB) without any problem

I,m sure more knowledgable people will be along soon.

Good luck

Bummer! That's what I was afraid of. Ugh...
Hopefully someone has an idea because I'm out - short of upgrading to IE7,
which I'm very reluctant to do.

Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - Networking]

This URL works fine for me too in Internet Explorer
6.0.2900.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519 on Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2.

Paul

dean-dean

Hi bman,

Try this. Go to your Downloaded Program Files folder (C:\Windows\Downloaded
Program Files) and look to see if you have "Windows Genuine Advantage
Validation Tool" listed. If you do, and its Status is "Installed" (using
the Details View), right-click on it, and choose Update. If all goes well,
you will be asked to allow the Update. If all you get is a never-ending
"flying paper" pop-up dialog that you need to cancel out of, or, if the
Status of the program is "Damaged", right-click on it and choose Delete.
Then go back to the download page in Internet Explorer, and try the
"Continue (validation required)" button again.

Dean

"Paul Baker [MVP, Windows - Networking]" <[email protected]>

Take a look with Explorer at the Download Programs File folder under the
Windows Folder. See if Explorer shows an ActiveX for Windows Genuine
Advantage Validation Tool. If it shows Installed, then the Version number
should be 1,5,708,0 If not, right click the ActiveX and update. If it
shows damaged, then try to update or remove as appropriate.

Thanks Mr. Cat and dean-dean.

I do have this file and the version number is 1,5,540,0. So, I right click
and choose update and the first time I gtt the notification from Windows but
the file didn't seem to update. The second time I get the flying paper thing
for about a second and then it goes away. It seems like 1 problem just leads
right to another, and I think this is number 4 now.

Hi bman,

Sounds like something is deliberately interfering with your install, perhaps
malware, perhaps not. Give this a try.

Are you up-to-date with Windows Updates?

Can you gº to Windows Update, select Express (Get high-priority updates),
and apply all offered updªtes
http://update.microsoft.com

Locate your file msi.dll (with search for files/folders if you are
not sure where it's located) and confirm what the version is, either from
it's properties or just passing your cursor over it. If it's not the
latest which is 3.1.4000.2435, then:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893803/

First remove all temporarily junk. Try these operations running in safe
mºde?

In safe mode, some of the protective services which these programs use to
ensure that they aren't removed, are not running, so they are easier to
remºve.

Shut down the computer and turn off the power.

Wait for at least 30 seconds, and then restart the computer in Safe mode or
VGA mºde.

You can clear prefetch files by going to Start menu and Run and typing
prefetch
and then click OK.

Prefetch files are there to help programs load/open quicker but they will be
replaced in prefetch when they are used agªin.

This folder may accumulate useless junk, especially if you change your
configuration a lºt.

There's no harm in emptying it.

Simply delete all the files in that folder; Windows will rebuild it as needed

Open a Internet window and go to Internet Options, Delete Cookies and Temp
Files and included all offline content then also go to Start menu and Run and
type (wiht %)
%temp%
and clear that fºlder. Also go to Start menu and Run and tipe (without %)
temp
and clear that folder.

Run the Disk Cleanup tººl
To start the Disk Cleanup tool, click Start menu, click Run, type
cleanmgr.exe
in the Open box, and then click OK.

OR

Open Disk Cleanup via Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tººls.

Enable Hidden Files and folder's.

To enable hidden files and folders Go to taskbar, click Start > My Computer.

On the Tools menu, click Folder Options.

On the View tab, uncheck Hide file extensions for known file types.

Make sure that 'Show hidden files and folders' is enabled.

Display the contents of system folders' is checked & 'Hide extentions for
known file types ' is not checked then press ªpply.

You can set this back later by opening the same page and pressing 'restore
defaults' then pressing ªpply,

HOW TO Enable Hidden Files:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2002092715262339

Empty your IE cache and your other temporary file folders, eg: c:\temp,
c:\windows\temp or C:\Documents and Settings\<name>\Local Settings\Temp (the
path to your temp folder will change depending on your name) - sometimes
programmes can be hidden in there - watch out for mysterious *.exe files or
*.dll files in those fºlders;
and c:\Documents and Settings\username\local settings\Temporary Internet
Files\Content.IE5 and delete all the files in those directories and
subdirectºries).
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

Or (in safe mode)

Try with CCleaner and or HDCleaner for a more thorough cleaning.

Ccleaner - http://www.ccleaner.com
http://www.ccleaner.com/downloadbuilds.asp

Note, When you install Ccleaner, uncheck the Yahoo toolbar option.
Note, in Options, Advanced, uncheck - Only delete files in Windows folders
older than 48 hours.

Do a scan with all the check marks on.
Open Ccleaner and press "Windows" "Aplications" and Run Cleaner from the
menu choose 'Issues' and then press scan for issues, Repair any fºund.
Run twice Ccleaner, the same as above,until you get “0 bytes to be removedâ€.

http://home.tiscali.de/zdata/hdcleaner_e.htm
Read Review at MajorGeeks

Donwnload and install Dial a Fix
http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/Dialafix_Full/1131569373/2
But the Dial-a-fix.exe is a old won, the new version of that I
downloaded it here:
http://djlizard.net/Dial-a-fix-2006-09-19.exe
Do a scan with all the check marks on.
I'm sure this program should fix the problem with the ControlX

To be sure you are free of malware run this programs

Windows Live Safety Center scan
http://safety.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm
Ewido
http://www.ewido.net/en
Kaspersky
http://www.kaspersky.com/virusscanner
Ñoot-kit detection
http://www.f-secure.com/blacklight/

For the benefit of the community reading this post, please rate the pºst.

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.

Еиçеl

dean-dean

Mr Cat is right, your version should be 1,5,708,0, and that's why Validation
hasn't let you "pass". You need to refresh the folder, though (right-click
on an empty spot in the folder and choose refresh), to see if the update
happened (it would seem that it did, if you got the notification, and you
allowed it), and then look at the version number again. If you have the new
version, try going back to the download page.

Dean

I refreshed and the file version stayed the same. I have a pretty speedy
connection to the web, but that "update" happened pretty fast. So, I deleted
it hoping that it would get re-installed back at the validation page, but
that didn't work, and I still get the error page when I try the Alternate
method.

I just don't understand why the ActiveX thing won't popup and install.
Windows is updated with everything shy of IE7, my security settings are
pretty much bone stock, and I don't have any other browser like Firefox.

DAF

bman said:
I refreshed and the file version stayed the same. I have a pretty speedy
connection to the web, but that "update" happened pretty fast. So, I deleted
it hoping that it would get re-installed back at the validation page, but
that didn't work, and I still get the error page when I try the Alternate
method.

I just don't understand why the ActiveX thing won't popup and install.
Windows is updated with everything shy of IE7, my security settings are
pretty much bone stock, and I don't have any other browser like Firefox.

The .cab file for the update is probably in your temporary internet files, if
you didn't delete them. For some reason, it doesn't want to install. But
here is the link to the codebase, from download.microsoft.com:

Save the LegitCheckControl.cab file to your desktop, and extract it to a new
folder. There are two files in the .cab, LegitCheckControl.dll and
LegitCheckControl.inf. Once the files have been extracted, right click on
LegitCheckControl.inf and choose Install. (And, actually, I've just update
my own active x control and the version is now 1,5,716,0.)

Dean

If dean-dean's suggestion doesn't work, try looking at the background
intelligent transfer service (BITS) and possibly the task scheduler. You can
get at Services through Administrative Tools. I believe it's original state
is Manual. Try to start the BITS Service. If the service doesn't start,
then that may be the cause of the problem. My memory is a little rusty, but
I recall that sometimes a routine gets unregistered and you need to
re-register it to get the service going.

Bill Sanderson MVP

Like everyone else: that link downloads an executable, which runs, and opens
a window with an 8 character code in it and a copy to clipboard button.
That process presumably gets you validated.

This shouldn't require IE7, and it should be worth your while to get
through, even if Windows Defender doesn't interest you--because it is not
unlikely that something requiring WGA will be of interest to you at some
point.

I'm not sure what the issue can be--have you re-tested with the URL you
posted? I can imagine mechanisms to block clicking on a link to download an
EXE, but I wouldn't expect them to put up a "page not found" notice.

A) You guys rock. Thank you so much for all the help.

B) I upgraded to IE7 hoping that might solve my problems. Nope, not even
one.

C) Dean-Dean, for some reason I cannot get to the link you provided. This
is really strange because I have some almost identical links in my history
(just different link ID numbers) that work just fine. Interesting that you
said to check the temporary internet files. I didn't see a CAB file in
there, but I did find a error log that gives info on why the download failed
for the link you provided. I don't understand it though. And when I go to
the page for doing the validation (where the ActiveX control is supposed to
install) I get the same error in the log entry. I'll post the error below.

D) Mr. Cat, BITS seems to be started, as well as the Task Scheduler.

*** Code Download Log entry (13 Nov 2006 @ 19:54:11) ***
Code Download Error: (hr = 800c0005) The system cannot locate the resource
specified.

Operation failed. Detailed Information:
CodeBase: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204
CLSID: {17492023-C23A-453E-A040-C7C580BBF700}
Extension:
Type:

LOG: Reporting Code Download Completion: (hr:800c0005 (FAILED), CLASSID:
17492023..., szCODE:(http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=39204),
MainType:(null), MainExt:(null))