Microsoft NNTP newsgroups to be phased out

Peter Foldes

Date 5/4/2010
Starting in early summer 2010, Microsoft will begin progressively closing down the
Microsoft public newsgroups to enrich conversations in the rapidly-growing forum
platform. This decision is in response to worldwide market trends and evolving
customer needs.

Microsoft continues to invest in forums to reduce customer effort, consolidate
community venues and make it easier for active contributors to retain their
influence. Forums provide a healthy community environment with less spam and make
answers easier to find by customers and search engines. Additionally, forums offer
a better user and off-topic management platform that will improve customer
satisfaction by facilitating discussions in a clean space.

We understand that some newsgroups are still active, and important to the community.
In the coming days and weeks, we will be rolling out tools and resources to minimize
disruption to the community discussions.

We are working diligently on providing additional resources and information in local
languages later this week. In the meantime, please refer to the official Microsoft
Newsgroup website http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx
concerning this issue. The Microsoft Newsgroup website will be made available in
additional languages in the next few days.

--
Peter

http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Regrettably, Microsoft announced today that they will begin phasing out
these public support newsgroups.

The announcement is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

A more unbiased article here:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=6097&tag=nl.e539

Sam Hobbs

Many years ago, I was participating in the C++ MFC newsgroups. I think the
MVPs there did nothing about fellow MVPs that were not nice. There was one
MVP in particular that was rude to me and a Microsoft person told him not to
do what he was doing.

A few years later, and still many years before now, I was participating in
the VB 6 forums. Some of those people were really rude, but Microsoft was
never involved. Since the newsgroups were sponsored by Microsoft about
Microsoft software, and since many of the problems were very likely
motivated by the desire for MVP status, I think Microsoft has been negligent
in ignoring the problems. I am not getting legal here, but I am stating my
opinions. I never was motivated by the possibility of MVP status, but I
think sometimes people are competitive by a desire for it. I have digressed
about that. The point I am getting at is that Microsoft has been for many
years ignoring the newsgroups.

The online interface to the newsgroups has been lousy. I hope it has been
improved or replaced; I assume it has. There is other software that was used
for the MSDN forums that was frustratingly buggy, buggy to the point that I
am surprised that Microsoft allowed the bugs to exist, since it gave
developers a low opinion of Microsoft's ability to create quality software.
The big bugs have been conquered and I hope Microsoft does not allow the big
ones, such as posts that get lost forever that sometimes required very much
time to write, to return. I assume they will be using that software for
other things.

The big advantage of the MSDN forums is that there is a lot of
representation from Microsoft in them. People are not rude. The Microsoft
people spend time giving credit to posts that are useful.

I am sure that this is not the only newsgroup that remains very useful, but
I also have the impression that there are not many Microsoft newsgroups that
are still as useful as this one is.

Regrettably, Microsoft announced today that they will begin phasing out
these public support newsgroups.

The announcement is here:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

A more unbiased article here:
http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=6097&tag=nl.e539

vanilla

I am very sorry to hear this ... but it is not completely unexpected. Some
group somewhere decided that everything must move to pages on the web ... in
the cloud ... internet access "appliances" in the future. I will really miss
desktop programs and snatching news, emails for offline reading/processing.
I hate web mail and reading forums in a browser where it takes six forevers
for the page to redraw. Ah, well ... thanks for the news ... vanilla

Gary VanderMolen [MVP]

Yep, I totally agree. Having gotten used to the snappiness of
NNTP, I find the web forums appallingly sluggish.

...winston

When the Msft Nntp newsgroups are shutdown(and most likely the web communities that mirror them will also disappear since there is
no business economic advantage to support the web UI) those alternate servers will no longer receive or send info back to this
server. Only content that exists on that server will be present and not necessarily mirrored on other nntp servers.

Since Windows Live is not part of the Msft Forums(this group will not be ported or redirected to a comparable location on the Msft
Forums). The web based forum for Windows Live, which runs on different software than the Msft Forums, can be found on the
Windows Live Solution Center.

1. WLM Support
Windows Live Solution Center for Windows Live Mail
http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=15
Windows Live Mail Forums
http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=15
Windows Live Mail Solutions
http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions.aspx?productid=15

2. Windows Live Hotmail Support
Windows Live Solution Center for Hotmail
http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=1
Windows Live Hotmail Forums
http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=1
Windows Live Hotmail Solutions
http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions.aspx?productid=1

3. Windows Live ID Support
Windows Live Solution Center for Windows Live ID
Windows Live ID Portal Home Page
http://windowslivehelp.com/product.aspx?productid=10
Windows Live ID Forums
http://windowslivehelp.com/forums.aspx?productid=10
Windows Live ID Solutions
http://windowslivehelp.com/solutions.aspx?productid=10

For the 1, 2, and/or 3...
If a solution is not available in the Forums or Solutions area then click 'Ask A Question'
- requires sign on with a Windows Live ID, registration, and creation of a username
- Live ID username is **Not** visible to the public