Microsoft Knowledge Base article Q314070

Frustrated IS Guy

Has this KB article been moved? Or, as I suspect, has it
been removed because the information and methods that it
contained were discovered to be invalid?

The KB article was entitled "How do I move Windows XP to
different hardware?" and it outlined a method to "Migrate
a working Windows XP operating system and your installed
programs to a different or more powerful computer in
minimal downtime". This procedure used ntbackup.exe, and
was very similar to the standard Windows 2000 migration
procedure.

Several failed attempts at using this migration method
indicate that this is, in fact, NOT a reliable, or even a
correct method for migrating a working Windows XP
operating system and installed programs to a different
computer. And I suspect that that is why the KB article,
(which is linked-to from numerous websites and forums that
discuss this very topic), is now M.I.A.

So then, my question is this: Is there a way to accomplish
this sort of a complete migration which moves installed
apps and everything? Or is this simply no longer possible
to do?

Thanks in advance. Sorry for the rambling.

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Has this KB article been moved? Or, as I suspect, has it
| been removed because the information and methods that it
| contained were discovered to be invalid?
|
| The KB article was entitled "How do I move Windows XP to
| different hardware?" and it outlined a method to "Migrate
| a working Windows XP operating system and your installed
| programs to a different or more powerful computer in
| minimal downtime". This procedure used ntbackup.exe, and
| was very similar to the standard Windows 2000 migration
| procedure.
|
| Several failed attempts at using this migration method
| indicate that this is, in fact, NOT a reliable, or even a
| correct method for migrating a working Windows XP
| operating system and installed programs to a different
| computer. And I suspect that that is why the KB article,
| (which is linked-to from numerous websites and forums that
| discuss this very topic), is now M.I.A.
|
| So then, my question is this: Is there a way to accomplish
| this sort of a complete migration which moves installed
| apps and everything? Or is this simply no longer possible
| to do?
|
| Thanks in advance. Sorry for the rambling.

Thanks for the linkage. I'll try that method for our next
user PC upgrade... and keep my fingers crossed.

Based on the info presented there, would you say that it's
reasonable to assume that migrating a user's existing XP
installation to a *NEW hard drive* on a new system using
the old ntbackup/restore method is not a viable solution?
My experiences indicate that this is the case, but getting
some confirmation from a reliable source would be nice...

Thanks again.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
Yes the article was pulled, it is being re-written.
The process should work, but there are exceptions and things to address.
There will be another article published.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

From: <[email protected]>
Sender: <[email protected]>