Windows Vista Microsoft is allowing the sale of OEM to anyone.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
It appears that Microsoft is now allowing the sale of OEM versions of Windows to home computer builders without having to sell it with a piece of hardware.

A February blog posting on the Partner Program site asks, "Can a system builder sell an OEM copy of Windows Vista without attaching it to a piece of hardware?" The answer that follows is:

"YES! YES! YES you can!!!!!!! As long as you do not open the package AND the end user is assembling their own PC (at that point the user is considered a system builder). As of August 2005, the licensing changed on all of the OEM licensing packs — 1, 3, and 30."

"OEM system builder software packs are intended for PC and server manufacturers or assemblers ONLY. They are not intended for distribution to end users. Unless the end user is actually assembling his/her own PC, in which case, that end user is considered a system builder as well."

OEM versions still are not eligible for MS technical support, and can not be transferred to another computer, as always
... I only buy OEM :D

You can "transfer" to another PC, but, you will find it will need reactivating ... a simple phone call will do. ;)

user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I transferred my OEM version of XP Pro to a different machine and it updated ok online, there was no need for a phone call.

That was the third time I'd done a fresh install with it - original machine; upgraded original machine and different machine. Each time activation was online and instant.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
I transferred my OEM version of XP Pro to a different machine and it updated ok online, there was no need for a phone call.

That was the third time I'd done a fresh install with it - original machine; upgraded original machine and different machine. Each time activation was online and instant.
Yep, you can on an XP OEM Licence ... not sure if it is 3 or 5, I think 3 before you will then need to make a phone call. ;)

On Vista, OEM, it will ask you to reactivate, especially if you change the MB, immediately on reboot. I know this to be a fact, I have had the pleasure of "testing" this out. :D

Good point Floppy, thanks for reminding me. :thumb:

:user:

Ask a Question