Using OEM versions of Vista

Paul Randall

I'm an experienced Windows user who wants to get a Vista system as cheaply
as possible. I've never had to contact Microsoft for help with problems for
any prior versions of windows back to W3.1, so I think purchasing an OEM
version of Vista is a reasonable way to go. Online forums provide all the
help I need.

I've tried to understand the requirements printed on OEM 1-packs, which says
something like: " ... must be preinstalled on the hard drive of the fully
assembled computer system, using the OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK)." It
gives the Microsoft URL of the system builder program; the rules there
indicate to me that anyone can qualify to be a system builder. It also
indicates that a major feature of the OPK is its ability to 'brand' the
system, I'm assuming to make the end user more dependent on the system
builder so that more money can be extracted from the end user.

What I haven't found are words that clearly state whether the end user can
use the DVD in the OEM 1-pack to do a clean install of Vista on that
computer at a later date, without the need for any 'preinstallation'
nonsense.

I'm hoping someone can clarify this for me.

-Paul Randall

Max

You do not have to use an OPK.
Insert DVD, boot, start installation, enter Product ID when prompted to do
so.

DP

I installed Ultimate 64-bit OEM withouth using the OPK. You don't need it.
But, as you probably realize, OEM is tied to a specific machine, probably
the motherboard. So, all future reinstallations have to be to that machine.
At least that's the rule. There are people on this forum who say they've
gotten around that.

And if you're not aware already, I found that New Egg had the best price at
the time for OEM Vista versions (around February). That may have changed.

Hope I've answerwed your questions. If not, ask again.

KristleBawl

Yes, OEM versions are only available preinstalled on a new computer when you
purchase it, but the OEM pack is not included with a new computer. It's used
by the people at Dell or Gateway, etc., when they build the computer, then
it's up to them whether or not they include a full install version. Many
only include a customized restore disk to get your computer back to how they
manufactured it, including whatever AntiVirus they added, optional software
like Instant Messengers or additional games, and their logo all over it.
Also, OEM's can only be Activated on the original computer, not a
replacement if it breaks down. If you might someday buy another computer and
want to install your purchased copy of Vista on it without buying another
one, Full Retail Versions can be uninstalled and then installed over and
over again, as long as you only have it activated on one computer at a time.

KB

"Paul Randall" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Gerry

Paul

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/licensing/faq/default.mspx#EMC

OEM Licences are intended for the situations where the Original
Equipment Manufacturer assemblies and sells on an assembled computer to
an end-user. They are not intended for a DIY enthusiast. Some OEM copies
install without requiring an OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK). The
situation changes periodically as Microsoft seeks to restrict the
pirating of software.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Saucy

Paul Randall said:
[...]

The weird and wonderful thing about the OEM world is that the system builder
adheres to the system builder terms whereas the one who acquires the system
adheres to Vista's EULA. *Sometimes they are the one and the same person* ..
which makes you both the system builder AND the end user.

So quite fussing over the over-complicated - it - takes - a - lawyer words
and get yourself an OEM copy and install it clean on the computer. With OEM
you don't get the 90 days warranty: if you want that then get the full
retail .. if not, then install yourself the OEM.

Saucy

DP

Gerry said:
Paul

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/licensing/faq/default.mspx#EMC

OEM Licences are intended for the situations where the Original Equipment
Manufacturer assemblies and sells on an assembled computer to an end-user.
They are not intended for a DIY enthusiast.

I don't have time to look for the page (maybe someone else will come up with
it) but MS issued an edict earlier this year basically saying it's OK for
individual users to use the OEM version as long as they realized there was
no free tech support for it. Or something like that.
If no one else posts the link, I'll come up with it eventually, though it
might be a couple of days.

Hi Paul, I'm using a 5 yo Packard Bell, CPU 2Ghz, I gig Ram, 128 MBs
Graphics, with Vista Home Premium. Works like a dream!

I purchased an OEM DVD. Too easy!

OPK is not needed for a single install; that is used on an assembly line!
Don't bother updating Bios

One thing, when you are installing Vista, leave the "Admin" and "Admin
Password" part blank which occurs in the middle of an install. You know the
routine.

Gerry

DP

These are very murky waters. What is the official view of Microsoft on
what can be a very thorny issue and what they choose to enforce are not
always the same. For many the free tech support is of little value but
others can find it invaluable. The provision / non-provision of support
is different for generic OEM and retail copies. Notwithstanding I feel
that self build users are expected to use retail copies but Microsoft do
not feel able to put the resources which would needed to enforce their
intentions. If you can dig out documentary evidence to demonstrate my
view is wrong then please do.

--
Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DP

Gerry said:
DP

Notwithstanding I feel that self build users are expected to use retail
copies but Microsoft do not feel able to put the resources which would
needed to enforce their intentions. If you can dig out documentary
evidence to demonstrate my view is wrong then please do.

Let me try this one for starters:
It kind of dances around the issue, but I think it corroborates what I'm
saying.
I'm sure you would prefer something more explicit, though.

When I first heard the news about the policy regarding Vista OEMs, I'm
almost positive I wound up reading an actual Microsoft statement on this
before I purchased. I wanted to make sure everything was cool before I spent
the money.
At the moment, I can't find that statement. I'll keep searching, but not
aggressively.

Meanwhile, does this story change your mind at all?

Gerry

DP

In your Article this paragraph supports what I say!

"System Builder software is designed for OEM system builders, and
specifically for pre-installation on new PCs," said Elissa Brown, a
Microsoft spokeswoman, via an email. "So, this software isn't really
intended to be installed by end-users. OEM versions of Windows Vista
that are delivered through the System Builder channel are licensed via a
'break-the-seal' model (in other words, the System Builder License on
the outside of the software package is agreed-upon when the package is
opened)."

An interesting point I had not thought of is where a system builder
lives in a household with other family members. Build the computer and
register the operating system in the name of another family member. No
good for someone living on their own. This type of arrangement could be
just the kind of reason why Microsoft may not wish to wade in with guns
blazing.

--
Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

DP

Gerry said:
DP

In your Article this paragraph supports what I say!

"System Builder software is designed for OEM system builders, and
specifically for pre-installation on new PCs," said Elissa Brown, a
Microsoft spokeswoman, via an email. "So, this software isn't really
intended to be installed by end-users. OEM versions of Windows Vista that
are delivered through the System Builder channel are licensed via a
'break-the-seal' model (in other words, the System Builder License on the
outside of the software package is agreed-upon when the package is
opened)."

Well, I think that's what everyone has always understood OEM software to be.
But the opening paragraph says this:

"A Microsoft representative confirmed that users may buy an OEM copy of
Windows Vista at a substantial discount, provided they adhere to the terms
of the license - which, incidentally, may mean providing support for family
members."

Obviously, they are referring to end users, not OEMs. If they were referring
to OEMs, then there'd be no news. They be saying "OEMs may buy copies of OEM
software." True, that paragraph is in black and white from Redmond. Still,
I think the thrust of the story is clear.

DP

DP said:
Well, I think that's what everyone has always understood OEM software to
be.
But the opening paragraph says this:

"A Microsoft representative confirmed that users may buy an OEM copy of
Windows Vista at a substantial discount, provided they adhere to the terms
of the license - which, incidentally, may mean providing support for
family members."

Obviously, they are referring to end users, not OEMs. If they were
referring to OEMs, then there'd be no news. They be saying "OEMs may buy
copies of OEM software." True, that paragraph is in black and white from
Redmond. Still, I think the thrust of the story is clear.

Meant to say "that paragraph is NOT in black and white from Redmond. "

Paul Randall

Thanks to everyone who responded. I especially appreciate the info from DP.

The Microsoft's web info on system builders indicates that the PC need not
be new -- system builders can be refurbishers. I picked up Vista 32-Bit
Ultimate and intend to preinstall it on a PC. I will just turn my hat
around each time I switch between being the system builder and end user.

-Paul Randall

DP

Paul Randall said:
Thanks to everyone who responded. I especially appreciate the info from
DP.

The Microsoft's web info on system builders indicates that the PC need not
be new -- system builders can be refurbishers.

You're welcome.
The MS EULA also says builders can be software installers. I guess if you
install Vista, that makes you a builder.

Also, in researching my responses to Gerry, I discovered that changing
motherboards does not kill your OEM license. It's just a phone call to
reactivate.

Gerry, I think you were right in your original post: this is a murky area
and it depends on how much MS wants to spend time trying to enforce. I think
they'd rather spend time raking in money from self-proclaimed "OEMs" than
trying to challenge our OEM status.

Saucy

DP said:
Well, I think that's what everyone has always understood OEM software to
be.
But the opening paragraph says this:

"A Microsoft representative confirmed that users may buy an OEM copy of
Windows Vista at a substantial discount, provided they adhere to the terms
of the license - which, incidentally, may mean providing support for
family members."

Obviously, they are referring to end users, not OEMs. If they were
referring to OEMs, then there'd be no news. They be saying "OEMs may buy
copies of OEM software." True, that paragraph is in black and white from
Redmond. Still, I think the thrust of the story is clear.

If you put the computer together yourself [at any capacity] then you are a
de facto "system builder" and can 'pre-install' Windows .. that's how I take
it, anyway.

Saucy

NotMe

I haven't re-read the EULA recently, but the rule used to be that an OEM
version of software had to be purchased with a 'major component' of the
computer and was then tied to that component.
I always buy my OEM license for machines I build with the computer case.
As far as I can see, no matter what I put inside the case, it is the same
computer.

Ken Blake, MVP

I haven't re-read the EULA recently, but the rule used to be that an OEM
version of software had to be purchased with a 'major component' of the
computer and was then tied to that component.

That rule is long gone. It changed so you could buy it with *any*
component, major or not, and then, I believe, so you could even buy it
by itself.

I always buy my OEM license for machines I build with the computer case.
As far as I can see, no matter what I put inside the case, it is the same
computer.

I think that's a legitimate point of view. But the issue isn't what
you or I think is legitimate, it's what Microsoft considers to be the
case. Many people have reported that Microsoft considers the
motherboard to be the computer, and has refused to reactivate an OEM
version if the motherboard has changed.

It's a risk that not everyone is willing to run. I recommend the
Retail Upgrade version instead of the OEM version. It's only slightly
more expensive and comes without this problem.

NotMe

I can't disagree with that opinion, but on the occasions I have had to call
for re-activation, I tell them the HDD failed and was replaced, Windows
reinstalled, and since I had it down, I added RAM and a video adapter...
they haven't argued with the reactivation yet...