Microsoft Communities

Gary VanderMolen

Newsgroups have worked fine for many years without bothering
with categorizing posts into questions, comments, or suggestions.

Everyone should at least try the newsgroup interface to see if they
like it better:

Gary VanderMolen

Hello Gary,

I, too, have used the newsgroups for many years and, frankly, I like some of
the new features for classifying and rating messages. I like the idea of
classifying message posts of different types, especially given that different
types of posts require different treatment or handling. I also suspect that
it will help Microsoft quickly collect and redirect enhancement requests and
comments to the proper departments.

Nevertheless, the new features under scruitiny in this thread certainly need
to work before they can provide benefits to anyone, including Microsoft.

*************************

Gary VanderMolen

The sticking point I see is that the main responders here refuse to
use the web interface, so none of their valuable responses get
classified. So what's the use?

Gary VanderMolen

vanilla

You are right, Gary, about newsgroups working just fine ... but I kinda like
the little enhancements that, unfortunately, are not working. Hope they go
to the trouble to get it working right. I have been to the web pages for the
Microsoft Communities and I like it all but it is so very slow compared to
reading News in an app like Windows Mail. I took your advice (and the advice
of many others) and turned mine off several months ago. Will just wait and
see what happens. Just thought of something else ... will make it a separate
post ... vanilla

Just chiming in with a hearty "me too"! I started seeing the problem in the
last few days (although I haven't used "Windows Mail" for newsgroup reading
much). I wanted to restate the fact that, yes, there are alternative
interfaces (Web and good old NNTP), and the problem isn't that we can't get
to the groups, but that we can't use the features Microsoft is promoting.
It's a little embarrassing, frankly, that Microsoft hasn't managed to fix
this in so many months.

Steve Cochran

Somehow those at MS don't get embarassed when their bugs break things. They
don't seem very concerned about it.

I guess there is no Q in Microsoft.

steve

Gary VanderMolen said:
The sticking point I see is that the main responders here refuse to
use the web interface, so none of their valuable responses get
classified. So what's the use?

REPLY:

True, they could use the web interface as a work-around, but for us the
issue is that many, like ourselves, do not wish to use the web interface. In
our case, we prefer to use Windows Vista Mail as our primary interface. As
such, the purpose of our comments is to encourage Microsoft to fix an obvious
problem so that those of us who prefer the mail interface can also enjoy the
classification or rating features. The irony is that the feature worked fine
in Windows Vista Mail until recently.

Thanks