Mic to speakers

Chris Watts

I am a newbie to XP (Pro) having used Windows98SE for years.

I need to have the output from a microphone go directly to speakers
connected to the headphone socket - but cannot find out how to achieve it!
(i.e. to use the PC as an amplifier)

I can record from the mic, and I can playback virtually any other form of
input - but not the mic.

Help!

TIA
Chris
--
Chris Watts
the discussion.

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

Go to your sound mixer, much as you would in Win 9x, and uncheck 'mute' in
the microphone section.. now you can 'karaoke'..

Chris Watts

Cannot find a sound mixer per se. There is a Realtek program but it does
not have any input controls related to a microphone.

Chris

Chris Watts said:
I am a newbie to XP (Pro) having used Windows98SE for years.

I need to have the output from a microphone go directly to speakers
connected to the headphone socket - but cannot find out how to achieve it!
(i.e. to use the PC as an amplifier)

I can record from the mic, and I can playback virtually any other form of
input - but not the mic.

Help!

TIA
Chris
--
Chris Watts
the discussion.
Private, or personal, messages should begin the Subject line with [NEWS]
ensure that they pass my spam trap.

Ayush

Replied to [Chris Watts]s message :
I am a newbie to XP (Pro) having used Windows98SE for years.

I need to have the output from a microphone go directly to speakers
connected to the headphone socket - but cannot find out how to achieve it!
(i.e. to use the PC as an amplifier)

I can record from the mic, and I can playback virtually any other form of
input - but not the mic.

Double click the volume icon in systray (or click Start > Run > sndvol32 )
Click Options > Properties and make sure Microphone check-box is checked.
Click OK > Untick Mute checkbox in Microphone column and adjust the volume.

Chris Watts

Ayush said:
Replied to [Chris Watts]s message :
I am a newbie to XP (Pro) having used Windows98SE for years.

I need to have the output from a microphone go directly to speakers
connected to the headphone socket - but cannot find out how to achieve it!
(i.e. to use the PC as an amplifier)

I can record from the mic, and I can playback virtually any other form of
input - but not the mic.

Double click the volume icon in systray (or click Start > Run > sndvol32 )
Click Options > Properties and make sure Microphone check-box is checked.
Click OK > Untick Mute checkbox in Microphone column and adjust the volume.
Thanks.
Have tried that but the Master Volume screen shows: Master Volume / Wave
/ SW Synth / CD Player / PC Beep
- no microphone. None is listed either under Options; Properties; Playback.

It describes itself, at the bottom, as Realtek HD Audio output and was
reachable in both the ways that you suggested.

Chris

Phil Weldon

'Chris Watts' wrote:
| Have tried that but the Master Volume screen shows: Master Volume /
Wave
| / SW Synth / CD Player / PC Beep
| - no microphone. None is listed either under Options; Properties;
Playback.

| It describes itself, at the bottom, as Realtek HD Audio output and was
| reachable in both the ways that you suggested.
_____

A microphone is an external input device, and may not display with the
default mixer setup. Check properties for the mixer, and make sure that the
microphone box is checked . Double Click on the speaker icon in the tray,
Click on 'Options', select 'Properties', Click on the 'Adjust volume for'
'Playback' radio button, look in the 'Show the following volume controls:'
and make sure the box next to 'Microphone' is checked. AND Click on the
'Adjust volume for' 'Recording' radio button, look in the 'Show the
following volume controls:' and make sure the box next to 'Microphone' is
checked.

Phil Weldon

| "Ayush" <"ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com"> wrote in message
| | > Replied to [Chris Watts]s message :
| > > I am a newbie to XP (Pro) having used Windows98SE for years.
| > >
| > > I need to have the output from a microphone go directly to speakers
| > > connected to the headphone socket - but cannot find out how to achieve
| it!
| > > (i.e. to use the PC as an amplifier)
| > >
| > > I can record from the mic, and I can playback virtually any other form
| of
| > > input - but not the mic.
| >
| > Double click the volume icon in systray (or click Start > Run >
sndvol32 )
| > Click Options > Properties and make sure Microphone check-box is
checked.
| > Click OK > Untick Mute checkbox in Microphone column and adjust the
| volume.
| >
| Thanks.
| Have tried that but the Master Volume screen shows: Master Volume /
Wave
| / SW Synth / CD Player / PC Beep
| - no microphone. None is listed either under Options; Properties;
Playback.

| It describes itself, at the bottom, as Realtek HD Audio output and was
| reachable in both the ways that you suggested.
|
| Chris

Chris Watts

Fine, but:
When I do a Show for Playback devices, as you suggest, Microphone is not
listed - so no box to check.
Adjust volume for Recording radio button is greyed out.

Chris

'Chris Watts' wrote:
| Have tried that but the Master Volume screen shows: Master Volume /
Wave
| / SW Synth / CD Player / PC Beep
| - no microphone. None is listed either under Options; Properties;
Playback.

| It describes itself, at the bottom, as Realtek HD Audio output and was
| reachable in both the ways that you suggested.
_____

| "Ayush" <"ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com"> wrote in message
| | > Replied to [Chris Watts]s message :
| > > I am a newbie to XP (Pro) having used Windows98SE for years.
| > >
| > > I need to have the output from a microphone go directly to speakers
| > > connected to the headphone socket - but cannot find out how to achieve
| it!
| > > (i.e. to use the PC as an amplifier)
| > >
| > > I can record from the mic, and I can playback virtually any other form
| of
| > > input - but not the mic.
| >
| > Double click the volume icon in systray (or click Start > Run >
sndvol32 )
| > Click Options > Properties and make sure Microphone check-box is
checked.
| > Click OK > Untick Mute checkbox in Microphone column and adjust the
| volume.
| >
| Thanks.
| Have tried that but the Master Volume screen shows: Master Volume /
Wave
| / SW Synth / CD Player / PC Beep
| - no microphone. None is listed either under Options; Properties;
Playback.

| It describes itself, at the bottom, as Realtek HD Audio output and was
| reachable in both the ways that you suggested.
|
| Chris

Mike Hall - MS MVP Windows Shell/User

It isn't under the playback tab.. it is under the record tab..

'Chris Watts' wrote:
| Have tried that but the Master Volume screen shows: Master Volume /
Wave
| / SW Synth / CD Player / PC Beep
| - no microphone. None is listed either under Options; Properties;
Playback.

| It describes itself, at the bottom, as Realtek HD Audio output and was
| reachable in both the ways that you suggested.
_____

| "Ayush" <"ayushmaan.j[aatt]gmail.com"> wrote in message
| | > Replied to [Chris Watts]s message :
| > > I am a newbie to XP (Pro) having used Windows98SE for years.
| > >
| > > I need to have the output from a microphone go directly to speakers
| > > connected to the headphone socket - but cannot find out how to achieve
| it!
| > > (i.e. to use the PC as an amplifier)
| > >
| > > I can record from the mic, and I can playback virtually any other form
| of
| > > input - but not the mic.
| >
| > Double click the volume icon in systray (or click Start > Run >
sndvol32 )
| > Click Options > Properties and make sure Microphone check-box is
checked.
| > Click OK > Untick Mute checkbox in Microphone column and adjust the
| volume.
| >
| Thanks.
| Have tried that but the Master Volume screen shows: Master Volume /
Wave
| / SW Synth / CD Player / PC Beep
| - no microphone. None is listed either under Options; Properties;
Playback.

| It describes itself, at the bottom, as Realtek HD Audio output and was
| reachable in both the ways that you suggested.
|
| Chris

Phil Weldon

'Mike Hall' wrote:
| It isn't under the playback tab.. it is under the record tab..

_____

Microphone should be under both.

Phil Weldon

'Chris Watts wrote:
| Fine, but:
| When I do a Show for Playback devices, as you suggest, Microphone is not
| listed - so no box to check.
| Adjust volume for Recording radio button is greyed out.
_____

If you see no entry for 'microphone' and 'Recording' radio button is grayed
out, try removing and reinstalling the drivers for your on-motherboard audio
device.

Question #1: What is the 'Mixer device:' name in the property sheet?
Question #2: You did install Windows XP drivers for the on-motherboard
audio device, right? If not, do so.
Question #3: Are the speakers in the same area as the microphone? If so,
you will get audio feedback; which makes the arrangement less than useful.
If that is really your desired operating situation, the only way to decrease
feedback is to use a directional mike (pointed away from the speakers) and
to reduce the volume level of the speakers. Having an acoustically 'dead'
operating location would also help.

Phil Weldon

| Fine, but:
| When I do a Show for Playback devices, as you suggest, Microphone is not
| listed - so no box to check.
| Adjust volume for Recording radio button is greyed out.
|
| Chris
|
| | > A microphone is an external input device, and may not display with the
| > default mixer setup. Check properties for the mixer, and make sure that
| the
| > microphone box is checked . Double Click on the speaker icon in the
tray,
| > Click on 'Options', select 'Properties', Click on the 'Adjust volume
for'
| > 'Playback' radio button, look in the 'Show the following volume
controls:'
| > and make sure the box next to 'Microphone' is checked. AND Click on the
| > 'Adjust volume for' 'Recording' radio button, look in the 'Show the
| > following volume controls:' and make sure the box next to 'Microphone'
is
| > checked.
| >
| > Phil Weldon
|
| > 'Chris Watts' wrote:
| > | Have tried that but the Master Volume screen shows: Master Volume /
| > Wave
| > | / SW Synth / CD Player / PC Beep
| > | - no microphone. None is listed either under Options; Properties;
| > Playback.
| > |
| > | It describes itself, at the bottom, as Realtek HD Audio output and was
| > | reachable in both the ways that you suggested.
| > _____

| achieve
| > | it!

| form
| > | of

| > sndvol32 )
| > checked.
| > | volume.
| > | >
| > | Thanks.
| > | Have tried that but the Master Volume screen shows: Master Volume /
| > Wave
| > | / SW Synth / CD Player / PC Beep
| > | - no microphone. None is listed either under Options; Properties;
| > Playback.
| > |
| > | It describes itself, at the bottom, as Realtek HD Audio output and was
| > | reachable in both the ways that you suggested.
| > |
| > | Chris
| > |
| > |
| > |

Chris Watts

Thanks for that.
The computer is a brand new Toshiba laptop, with XP Pro, straight from the
box - so one might hope that it is set up properly!
If you see no entry for 'microphone' and 'Recording' radio button is grayed
out, try removing and reinstalling the drivers for your on-motherboard audio
device.

I have found a drop-down box that switches the Volume Control from Input to
Output. Microphone is on the input box and selected.

When I run the hardware test routine, it simultaneously accepts the mic
input and sends it to the speakers, via the recorder - but no direct
connection capability.

Question #1: What is the 'Mixer device:' name in the property sheet?
Realtek HD Audio Input and Realtek HD Audio Output

Question #2: You did install Windows XP drivers for the on-motherboard
audio device, right? If not, do so.

I have assumed that it came installed.
Both Legacy and Realtek drivers seem to be installed.

Question #3: Are the speakers in the same area as the microphone?

I am familiar with the issues of feedback.

Chris

Phil Weldon said:
'Chris Watts wrote:
| Fine, but:
| When I do a Show for Playback devices, as you suggest, Microphone is not
| listed - so no box to check.
| Adjust volume for Recording radio button is greyed out.
_____

If you see no entry for 'microphone' and 'Recording' radio button is grayed
out, try removing and reinstalling the drivers for your on-motherboard audio
device.

Question #1: What is the 'Mixer device:' name in the property sheet?
Question #2: You did install Windows XP drivers for the on-motherboard
audio device, right? If not, do so.
Question #3: Are the speakers in the same area as the microphone? If so,
you will get audio feedback; which makes the arrangement less than useful.
If that is really your desired operating situation, the only way to decrease
feedback is to use a directional mike (pointed away from the speakers) and
to reduce the volume level of the speakers. Having an acoustically 'dead'
operating location would also help.

Phil Weldon

| Fine, but:
| When I do a Show for Playback devices, as you suggest, Microphone is not
| listed - so no box to check.
| Adjust volume for Recording radio button is greyed out.
|
| Chris
|
| | > A microphone is an external input device, and may not display with the
| > default mixer setup. Check properties for the mixer, and make sure that
| the
| > microphone box is checked . Double Click on the speaker icon in the
tray,
| > Click on 'Options', select 'Properties', Click on the 'Adjust volume
for'
| > 'Playback' radio button, look in the 'Show the following volume
controls:'
| > and make sure the box next to 'Microphone' is checked. AND Click on the
| > 'Adjust volume for' 'Recording' radio button, look in the 'Show the
| > following volume controls:' and make sure the box next to 'Microphone'
is
| > checked.
| >
| > Phil Weldon
|
| > 'Chris Watts' wrote:
| > | Have tried that but the Master Volume screen shows: Master Volume /
| > Wave
| > | / SW Synth / CD Player / PC Beep
| > | - no microphone. None is listed either under Options; Properties;
| > Playback.
| > |
| > | It describes itself, at the bottom, as Realtek HD Audio output and was
| > | reachable in both the ways that you suggested.
| > _____

| achieve
| > | it!

| form
| > | of

| > sndvol32 )
| > checked.
| > | volume.
| > | >
| > | Thanks.
| > | Have tried that but the Master Volume screen shows: Master Volume /
| > Wave
| > | / SW Synth / CD Player / PC Beep
| > | - no microphone. None is listed either under Options; Properties;
| > Playback.
| > |
| > | It describes itself, at the bottom, as Realtek HD Audio output and was
| > | reachable in both the ways that you suggested.
| > |
| > | Chris
| > |
| > |
| > |

Phil Weldon

'Chris Watts' wrote, in part:
| Thanks for that.
| The computer is a brand new Toshiba laptop, with XP Pro, straight from the
| box - so one might hope that it is set up properly!
_____

No matter what you assume, the drivers may be incorrectly installed.

The sensible thing to do is to uninstall and then reinstall the drivers.

The sensible thing to do is to make NO assumptions.

The sensible thing to do is, especially since you have a 'brand new Toshiba
laptop', is to contact Toshiba technical support.

The sensible thing to do is to supply complete relevant information in your
initial post.

Phil Weldon

| Thanks for that.
| The computer is a brand new Toshiba laptop, with XP Pro, straight from the
| box - so one might hope that it is set up properly!
|
| >If you see no entry for 'microphone' and 'Recording' radio button is
grayed
| out, try removing and reinstalling the drivers for your on-motherboard
audio
| device.
|
| I have found a drop-down box that switches the Volume Control from Input
| Output. Microphone is on the input box and selected.
|
| When I run the hardware test routine, it simultaneously accepts the mic
| input and sends it to the speakers, via the recorder - but no direct
| connection capability.
|
| Question #1: What is the 'Mixer device:' name in the property sheet?
| Realtek HD Audio Input and Realtek HD Audio Output
|

| Question #2: You did install Windows XP drivers for the on-motherboard
| audio device, right? If not, do so.
|
| I have assumed that it came installed.
| Both Legacy and Realtek drivers seem to be installed.
|

| Question #3: Are the speakers in the same area as the microphone?
|
| I am familiar with the issues of feedback.
|
| Chris
|

| | > 'Chris Watts wrote:
| > | Fine, but:
| > | When I do a Show for Playback devices, as you suggest, Microphone is
not
| > | listed - so no box to check.
| > | Adjust volume for Recording radio button is greyed out.
| > _____
| >
| > If you see no entry for 'microphone' and 'Recording' radio button is
| grayed
| > out, try removing and reinstalling the drivers for your on-motherboard
| audio
| > device.
| >
| > Question #1: What is the 'Mixer device:' name in the property sheet?
| > Question #2: You did install Windows XP drivers for the on-motherboard
| > audio device, right? If not, do so.
| > Question #3: Are the speakers in the same area as the microphone? If
so,
| > you will get audio feedback; which makes the arrangement less than
useful.
| > If that is really your desired operating situation, the only way to
| decrease
| > feedback is to use a directional mike (pointed away from the speakers)
and
| > to reduce the volume level of the speakers. Having an acoustically
'dead'
| > operating location would also help.
| >
| > Phil Weldon

| > | When I do a Show for Playback devices, as you suggest, Microphone is
not
| > | listed - so no box to check.
| > | Adjust volume for Recording radio button is greyed out.
| > |
| > | Chris
| > |
| that