MFP with low running cost

Reaction score
I am looking for scanner-printer (fax not required) with low print cost. Most of the time I print text and colour prints only occasionally.
More I look at different reviews, more confused I get. I would really like someone to tell me a printer. Is there any way to narrow the search down. Epson, for example, some swear by it and others complain that it consumes ink like there is no tomorrow...help!

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
Hey Klaus,

Over the past few days i have read over 100 reviews of diffrerent printers.

The problem seems to be with Epsons if you choose to use cheap ink, then it blocks heads and runs out quickly.

Whereas if you buy the Epson carts then they are v.good and it lasts a bit longer although they are steep in price.

I have just purchased a new Printer, a Canon MP460.

As although they are all pretty similar, Mid-Range is seems to be the best price for performance.

Although the Epsons seem to be better and Colour scanning from what i read.

So what i found out is that the Canons are cheaper to run but the equivalent Epson performs better.

It also seems that the new Epson SX range drinks Ink.

Most responses i got were from Epson owners but due to the cheap price i can get it for i went for a decent Canon as they are cheaper to run.

All this is what i have learnt from reading different reviews when considering my own purchase, i wanted more of a photo printer and thats what i've gone with.

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Like Waynos I did quite a bit of research for a mid-range MFP and came to similar conclusions.

Although I had an HP printer which has never let me down - I shied away from getting another because I don't like their software.

It really came down to Epson or Canon, and after much thought I went for a Canon MP610 mainly due to the excellent reviews and the fact its generally cheaper to run - its a decision I haven't regretted, the quality I'm getting for scanning, photo printing and text is excellent and so is the software that comes with it (a breath of fresh air compared to HP's)

I'm sure I may have had a similar experience if I'd bought an Epson too - but as I didn't I can't really comment.

Waynos_Face

New Cruncher
Reaction score
If i could have afforded it i would have got a MP610, great reviews and it looks ace.

Ask a Question