MFC in XPe

C

Control Freq

Hi,
Sorry if this has been asked before.

I am contemplating my first use of Windows XP Embedded. I need to
write a kiosk type appliation for a simple touch screen application.

My immediate reaction is to write it in C++ using Visual studio 6.0,
using MFC libraries. This is mainly because another program in the
same project is established in the same technologies.

I could also use VS2005 and csharp.

My question is: Are there any compatability problems with developing
an MFC app using VS 6.0, developing on an XP SP2 desktop PC, and then
moving the binary executable to the XP Embedded machine at runtime?

Any comments or suggestions are welcomed.
Also, any 'gotchas' to be aware of?

Regards

K

KM

Nope, the is no known compatibility issues win XPe related to MFC libraries of any versions as long as you XPe image includes those
binaries as well as all their dependencies.

Only comment here is related to VS. I liked VS 6.0 a lot - fast, relatively small in RAM, good compilers, and it is still a great
environment to develop native code for Windows Desktop platforms. However, newer versions of some framework libraries (such as MFC)
are better than old ones - cleaner, better performance (some code optimized), lots of bugs fixed, fixed some security
vulnerabilities and so on.
Another beauties of VS2005 (and coming Orcas) are the better IDE, better optimized compilers and the integrity with Managed code. If
you were to decide to move (port) your app(s) to managed environment, it would be easier to do with VS2005. Although, nothing
prevents you from importing VS6 project into VS2005 later on.

C

Control Freq

Nope, the is no known compatibility issues win XPe related to MFC libraries of any versions as long as you XPe image includes those
binaries as well as all their dependencies.

Only comment here is related to VS. I liked VS 6.0 a lot - fast, relatively small in RAM, good compilers, and it is still a great
environment to develop native code for Windows Desktop platforms. However, newer versions of some framework libraries (such as MFC)
are better than old ones - cleaner, better performance (some code optimized), lots of bugs fixed, fixed some security
vulnerabilities and so on.
Another beauties of VS2005 (and coming Orcas) are the better IDE, better optimized compilers and the integrity with Managed code. If
you were to decide to move (port) your app(s) to managed environment, it would be easier to do with VS2005. Although, nothing
prevents you from importing VS6 project into VS2005 later on.

OK, thanks for that.

Regards.

Ask a Question