Metro 2033 - Stalker meets Fallout 3?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Well i didn't play Fallout so cant compare it to that, i dont think its as much stalkerish as stalker was, just a regular FPS (so far anyway)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Bought it, installed it, played it a little bit.

Let the game choose the settings to default, it chose quite high settings.

Little bit of stuttering in intense moments, may lower vid res, it's on 1680 x 1250 atm.

Steam auto-updated the game.

Like most recent fps games, it's almost a cross between a movie and gameplay. Me, I'd prefer just gameplay, thanks, with maybe a short cut scene here and there.

The characters are all Russian (obviously, lol) who all seem to share the same vocal inflection as all Eastern Europeans, that geezer in GTA IV, most hastily setup car wash places in London and the ladies in long floral dresses who offer to wash your windscreen at strategic points on The North Circular.

I've only played about half hour into the game but my overall impression is it's nothing special.

I mean, it's ok, it's good, but nothing really different and quite high hardware requirements.

I have latest Nvidia drivers loaded for my 9800GTX but each time I start the game it tells me I don't have latest drivers installed and to upgrade :confused:

I bought the game from GAME at Camden today and got a limited edition with some postcards and a free edition of Red Faction Guerilla which I haven't installed yet.

It cost thirty quid.

I'll give it some more time but at this stage it is, to me, just another average fps with much too much movie content and not enough gameplay.

We shall see :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Have revised my POV of this thing.

Each time I started the game I had a message to install latest video drivers. So I did.

(V197.16 Nvidia drivers for 9800GTX 512Mb with Win 7 64 Bit)

And it's made one helluva difference :thumb:

No stuttering, high res, fluid gameplay.

I've played a bit more now and I'm liking this game a lot.

So for now I have two good SP FPS's which I'm thoroughly enjoying, Bioshock 2 (me fave) & Metro 2033.

Haven't tried any multiplayer yet but....

...superb :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Glad your enjoying it Flops. I must admit, the only thing that makes this game like Stalker is the fact that it was developed by the same guys, or part of the same team.

It dont have the extra bit like stalker has.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
V_R said:

Bugger :( I paid thirty quid for mine and haven't played it much, only two levels in.

Been spending my time, as usual, on CoD4 & CoD5, Bioshock 2 single player and that dang fangled X-Box.

Flops vows to himself never to pay full price for a game ever again until it's been out at least two months.

They always come down in price. Always.

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Flops vows to himself never to pay full price for a game ever again until it's been out at least two months.

They always come down in price. Always.

you know thats not going to happen...sometimes you just have to have a game,to hell with the cost :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
labatts said:
you know thats not going to happen...sometimes you just have to have a game,to hell with the cost :)

Dammit, you're probably right, lol

FWIW I've just played a couple more levels of Metro 2033, it's pretty good. Not a classic but definitely worth spending time with.

Nice spooky atmosphere.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Ok, I've changed me mind about this game, I don't like it.

The further you progress, the harder it gets. Ok, that's normal but this game is frustrating as hell.

You just know when a game goes from full price of around 35 to less than half price in a few months there's probably something people don't like about it. And also the amount of copies being sold second hand (in this instance, the console version).

Metro 2033 is murky, indistinct, blurred, does not react positively to controls and does nothing but cheese me off.

I want a game to be enjoyable, not bring me down. And yes, I do apreciate some difficulty, I'm not asking for an easy ride, but wallowing in a murk not really knowing what the hell is going on, is not my idea of fun.

Along with Batman Arkham Asylum (PC version), another disapointment.

Metro 2033 is now uninstalled. And because it has to have online activation, has no used value for resale.

Ask a Question