Metro Last Light

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The follow up to Metro 2033.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/43160/?snr=1_4_4__105_2

It is the year 2034.

Beneath the ruins of post-apocalyptic Moscow, in the tunnels of the Metro, the remnants of mankind are besieged by deadly threats from outside – and within. Mutants stalk the catacombs beneath the desolate surface, and hunt amidst the poisoned skies above.

But rather than stand united, the station-cities of the Metro are locked in a struggle for the ultimate power, a doomsday device from the military vaults of D6. A civil war is stirring that could wipe humanity from the face of the earth forever.

As Artyom, burdened by guilt but driven by hope, you hold the key to our survival – the last light in our darkest hour…

http://www.thq.com/uk/thqtv/index?movieId=5056

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If it's anything like the first one I shall be giving it a very wide berth.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Wish I could say I was interested.

If anything ill wait till its on sale.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
New Vid of some E3 gameplay, have to say it does look good. I hope the mouse movement is better in this that it was in 2033, it felt terrible in that....

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Loved the first one, though the end was very weird. Will definitely be giving this one a go!

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
This game seems more beautiful than the last, the graphics are so polished! Has my GTX580 sweating after a few minutes, had it at 88c the hottest its ever been!

Loving it so far, more of the same really which is what I like!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I got this for free with my new GTX660 and quelle surprise - it's very good indeed :)

In fact I've played it most days since I installed it, 8 hours gameplay so far.

I don't think it's anything at all like Metro2033 apart from the setting, this game plays smooth and fluid and has excellent graphics. Ok, the first one did have good graphics but it was murky, felt like playing with a set of blinkers on and gauze over your eyes, plus the mouse movement was rubbish.

Nah, Metro Last Light is a huge improvement and plays for the most part like a good fps. There are a LOT of scripted scenes but, as in Max Payne 3, they are actually quite enjoyable and the storyline here is a good one.

This review sums it up quite well.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
I think you should replay the 1st one flopps, there identical except the polished visuals (though metro 2033 was gorgeous).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think you should replay the 1st one flopps, there identical except the polished visuals (though metro 2033 was gorgeous).

I can't see that at all. I'm enjoying Last Light but with 2033 all I wanted to do was punch the lights out of my monitor, hated it. Jerky control movement, could hardly see anything even with gamma and/or brightness turned up, died very easily even on easy setting, nah, the whole thing was very frustrating, I think Last Light is what 2033 should have been.

I did try and persevere but when I kept dying over and over cos I didn't have a gas mask filter that was it - uninstall. It is actually installed in my Steam folder now, maybe, just maybe, I'll return to it when I've finished Last Light.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm stuck on this game :mad:

There are 30 levels in Metro Last Light and I've just started level 23. At the start of this level you come out of the Metro into the open so you need air filter & gas masks but I don't have any. As a consequence I get as far as the first abandoned rail car and die every time. Can't find any damn mask filters, just like in the first Metro game.

This happened to me once before in the game so I went back a chapter, searched for some filters, found some and carried on ok. This time I went back a chapter, played it all through again (I HATE replaying levels on one playthrough) but couldn't find any gas filters and therefore keep dying.

So I had two choices, keep going back chapters until I find some gas filters or give up. So I've given up, the game cost me nothing anyhow.

When I've stopped being angry with the game I may go return to it and start 2 or 3 chapters back and hope I find some gas filters but I am reminded of one of the reasons why I didn't like the first game, Metro 2033. A shame, cos this has been a good game up to this bit.

CSB

Reaction score
Couldn't be a glitch in the game could it Flops? I remember when I played Mafia 2 and the issues with one or two of the Playboy magazines which wouldn't show up when they should have. I was playing the PS3 version at the time.

I've got the first Metro game but havn't completed it. Will try to go back to it sometime, but if there is a problem with that game too i.e Gas Masks not being found, then I may not bother.

Hope you find a way to get through it Flops. Let us know where they are if you find any on the level.

Rob

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I am not going to enjoy making this post. I could have just kept quiet, I could have not held my hand up to the fact I messed up but here we go - Gentlemen, I messed up, there is no glitch in this game thus far that I have detected, merely my possible misunderstanding of the game's control system. Yes, even after 23 out of 30 levels.

I mentioned that at the start of level 23 you come out to the surface and for that you need a gas mask and filter to survive. And that there is both a filter and gas mask at the start of the level.

I have the following keys set: G = Gas mask; T = Filter; F = Action. All through the game I'd just used G & T to put on/take off mask and fit filter. What I didn't realise was that at the start of level 23 I had no gas mask in my inventory so that when I came across the gas mask at the start of the level I had to press F to pick it up, G to put it on and T to fit the filter. I was only pressing G & T, not F, to fit mask and filter.

And that's why I went wrong, I wasn't picking the damn thing up. I think maybe a 'doh' is in place here.

So, many apolly lojjies gennelmen, if I have given youse all a bum steer, there is nothing wrong with the game but there may be reason to suspect early onset of Alzheimers on my good self.

I am now on level 25 of 30, it's a good game, buy with confidence and ignore my lame brain ramblings.

CSB

Reaction score
Never thought I'd see the day. Captain Flops making a mistake. *passes the Silly Billy hat to Flops*.

Everyone does it at some point ..................... except me :D

Glad you found what the problem was and good to know all appears well with the game. All I need now is for someone to donate a copy :lol:. I should be able to afford it in the actual year the game is based in :eek:

Nearly home time for me (11pm). Goodnight all.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
And... Finished :)

Really enjoyed that game, the last level/battle was good, but could have been a bit longer.

Since last I posted here I had to go back from level 27 to level 26 and play it through again to get some more gas mask filters and there have been quite a few very frustrating parts where I almost gave up.

But I didn't.

Good game, good game, as Sir Bruce Forsyth will probably say when he performs at Glastonbury this weekend :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I can't see that at all. I'm enjoying Last Light but with 2033 all I wanted to do was punch the lights out of my monitor, hated it. Jerky control movement, could hardly see anything even with gamma and/or brightness turned up, died very easily even on easy setting, nah, the whole thing was very frustrating, I think Last Light is what 2033 should have been.

I did try and persevere but when I kept dying over and over cos I didn't have a gas mask filter that was it - uninstall. It is actually installed in my Steam folder now, maybe, just maybe, I'll return to it when I've finished Last Light.

Ok, I did go back to the first Metro game, played it a while, got past the point I was stuck at first time around but...

I still think it's useless! :D

I can't quite put my finger on it but Metro 2033 just irritates the hell outta me, really winds me up, I don't enjoy it at all.

Yet I thought Metro Last Light was very good indeed.

My point of view is that, apart from the subject, there really is no comparison, the first one was codswallop and the second was superb..

And the irony of it is that I paid full whack for the first one but the second one came free with my video card.

Ask a Question