Metro 2033 - Stalker meets Fallout 3?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Looks like a Stalker -ish game with the playability of FO3. Should be good then. :)

We’ve been following this Ukrainian shooter since the first footage appeared a couple of years ago. Metro 2033 appears to be what THQ did after the split with GSC, and it has the same dark-future apocalypse vibes as Stalker. This time it’s set in a Moscow ravaged by monsters, with the survivors of the apocalypse hiding in the Russian capital’s epic metro system. It’s got a strong “Russian Fallout” whiff to it, which echoes what a 1c boss said to me last year about their love of the game. THQ’s blurb reads: “You are Artyom, born in the last days before the fire, but raised Underground. Having never ventured beyond your Metro Station-City limits, one fateful event sparks a desperate mission to the heart of the Metro system, to warn the remnants of mankind of a terrible impending threat. Your journey takes you from the forgotten catacombs beneath the subway to the desolate wastelands above, where your actions will determine the fate of mankind.” Anyway, go take a look, this is very promising.

Link to Trailer

Official Site

Pre Purchase on steam and get Red Faction Guerilla free....
http://store.steampowered.com/app/43110/
About the Game

Set in the shattered subway of a post apocalyptic Moscow, Metro 2033 is a story of intensive underground survival where the fate of mankind rests in your hands.

In 2013 the world was devastated by an apocalyptic event, annihilating almost all mankind and turning the earth’s surface into a poisonous wasteland. A handful of survivors took refuge in the depths of the Moscow underground, and human civilization entered a new Dark Age.

The year is 2033. An entire generation has been born and raised underground, and their besieged Metro Station-Cities struggle for survival, with each other, and the mutant horrors that await outside.

You are Artyom, born in the last days before the fire, but raised Underground. Having never ventured beyond your Metro Station-City limits, one fateful event sparks a desperate mission to the heart of the Metro system, to warn the remnants of mankind of a terrible impending threat. Your journey takes you from the forgotten catacombs beneath the subway to the desolate wastelands above, where your actions will determine the fate of mankind.
  • Metro 2033 is a gripping, atmospheric first person shooter experience powered by cutting edge technology, featuring full DX10 and NVDIA PhysX support for high-end gaming PCs, to deliver incredible visuals
  • Witness the everyday horrors of a broken society living in constant fear
  • Brave the darkness of the tunnels, where mutants hunt their prey and ghostly spirits lurk
  • Explore the desolate city-surface, trusting your gas mask and rifle to protect you from a poisoned world and the creatures that roam there
  • Steel your nerve and prepare to face the terrors that await
Some screens from 4A games site.

ss_2008-07-28_13-49-19_small.jpg

ss_2008-07-28_17-43-46_small.jpg

ss_2008-07-28_14-11-16_small.jpg

ss_2007-09-29_15-51-10_small.jpg

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Some DX11 Screenshots for you. :)

4346794329_a1163c7156_b.jpg

4347541100_d4b1e2363d_b.jpg

4346795471_c78d1c3cce_b.jpg

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, those last pics are screenshots? :eek:

I like the sound of this game and I can see what is meant by the Fallout 3 elements. Do you know if this is a pure FPS, or will it have the same sort of RPG elements to it?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks, I'll have watch of the video now! :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Looks promising.

I love Fallout 3, hated STALKER, wonder whereabouts on the fence that puts me? :D

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Already pre ordered on steam and got a free copy of Red Faction: Guerrilla

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Is this the first DX11 game then?

I'm still struggling to find DX10 games.

Resident Evil 5 employs DX10, it's now available on budget.

It does look quite good, have to admit, and gameplay is far better than RE4 but it's still distinctly average. It reminds me a little of Far Cry 2, probably cos it's set in Africa.

But I digress :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Some more vid gifs. Not the greatest quality but from the outside rather than in a tunnel etc. :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Now available to pre load on Steam! :)

Some reviews out now too....

CVG - 9.0 (360 version)
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=238823

Gamesradar - 9/10 (PC Version)
http://www.gamesradar.com/pc/metro-...2010031217121699584961/g-20081219161519817058

This is good to read too..

Sometimes it seems like console gamers have all the fun but THQ says that Metro 2033, the upcoming FPS set in post-apocalyptic Moscow subway tunnels, is going to be a "love letter" to PC gamers.
Developed by Ukrainian studio 4A Games, Metro 2033 is an end-of-the-world shooter in which most of humanity has been wiped out and those few who remain have been forced underground. In Moscow, that means the subway tunnels - the Metro - where they eke out a subterranean existence, making occasional, brief forays to the surface to scavenge for supplies.

It sounds cool and it looks even cooler, and that's an angle THQ is playing up; the game is being released for the Xbox 360 but with support for nVidia PhysX and DirectX 11, along with a planned 3-D version, it's Team PC that seems to be getting all the attention this time around.

"If you are a core PC gamer and you're wondering where all the love's gone when your PC games are just a slightly higher res version of what's on the console, then I'd say 4A are writing a love letter to you and doing absolutely everything to make the PC version phenomenal," said Huw Beynon, THQ's head of global communications.

For those with the equipment to handle it, the 3-D version of the game will offer even greater immersion that the regular release, although Beynon admitted that the market for it will be very niche, since the technology involved is still proprietary and a little on the pricey side. "3-D on PC uses nVidia's 3D Vision technology, so it's down to the specific hardware and you need a specific monitor for it," he continued. "So, for the time being, it's not like Avatar where hundreds of cinemas are equipped to do it. In gaming it's going to be a relative niche."

Metro 2033 is scheduled for release on March 16 for the PC and Xbox 360.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/98849-Metro-2033-is-a-Love-Letter-to-PC-Gamers

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
What do you think of this game so far, V_R? :)

I'm not going to get a chance to play this until next week, but it sounds like something I might like. I spend so much ordering games on Steam after you post these sort of threads :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Its good but it runs like a dog on ATI HW, needs patching. so i'm going to leave it for a bit. Good game though.

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Really? I found the game to work quite well on medium-ish settings on a 8800GT.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
DX11 at very high is playable but the fps drops randomly, looking around it is in need of a performance patch, which will help us ATI users a bit. :)

Its a 'the way its meant to be played game' AKA Nvidia.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Some screenies, DX11 very high... Originally 1920x1200

Please note that these really dont do the graphics justice! It looks way better, the lighting is soooo good.

96vlf7.jpg

xbplf.jpg

20fta9z.jpg

v4sa5l.jpg

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I'm almost decided to get this but slightly hesitant.

I really like Fallout 3 but couldn't get on with STALKER at all.

Waddya reckon? Will I like this?

Ask a Question