    the same issue. but no solution. The entire system scan comes up virus
    free. Any ideas how to fix it? I have not tried a complete uninstall
    and reinstall, yet.

    Ike, Dec 14, 2009

  2. Ike

    Ike Guest

    On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 13:39:30 -0500, Wolf K <>
    wrote:

    >Ike wrote:
    >> I've used McAfee since probably version 1.0 and it has never
    >> frustrated me more than now. I have the current version on XP SP3 and
    >> it automatically does an entire system scan every day even though I
    >> have automatic scheduled scanning disabled. This is a real PITA
    >> because I have two huge external hard drives hooked up to this PC
    >> which means it takes several hours to complete and is dog slow while
    >> scanning. I Googled the problem and it seems a few other people have
    >> the same issue. but no solution. The entire system scan comes up virus
    >> free. Any ideas how to fix it? I have not tried a complete uninstall
    >> and reinstall, yet.

    >Uninstall it completely. Use Revo (free) or Your Uninstaller (free
    >version limited to four uninstalls per program start). This will
    >eliminate all traces of the program, so that a fresh install should work
    >as configured.
    >
    >Then, if you must, reinstall McAfee.
    >
    >But my recommendation is to dump it. There are many better alternatives.
    >Even Norton 2009 and 2010 have received better reviews.
    >
    >FWIW, I use Vipre as background protector (mostly because a former
    >student of mine is a virus hunter for Sunbelt Systems). In addition, I
    >use a number of on-demand scanners: Avira, Spybot Search & Destroy,
    >Malwarebytes Antimalware, and occasionally Superantispyware and others.
    >My system occasionally picks up a key-logger from a website (surprising
    >how many apparently innocent sites are infected), but that's about all.
    >
    >HTH
    >wolf k.

    Thanks for the info, Wolf. I think I will do the uninstall first to
    see if that fixes the problem. I am reluctant to try a different
    software solution at this juncture. This PC is really the wife's
    machine and I don't have the inclination to try to teach her something
    new, if you catch my drift.

    Ike

    Ike, Dec 15, 2009

  3. From: "Ike" <>

    | Thanks for the info, Wolf. I think I will do the uninstall first to
    | see if that fixes the problem. I am reluctant to try a different
    | software solution at this juncture. This PC is really the wife's
    | machine and I don't have the inclination to try to teach her something
    | new, if you catch my drift.

    | Ike

    McAfee has long past lost its lustre.

    I strongly suggesting pulling it and going with Avira AntiVir. It is *much* better and
    free for the first year.

    --
    Dave

    David H. Lipman, Dec 15, 2009