Scheduling and Executing

OREALLY

I'd like to schedule Super Antispyware to run every day. I can set it up in
the task scheduler, but since I'm using the free version, I can't figure out
how to get it to actually start scanning (or which type of scan to start).
Is there a way to do this without having to purchase the 'Pro' version?

Thanks,

Oreally

VanguardLH

OREALLY said:
I'd like to schedule Super Antispyware to run every day. I can set it up in
the task scheduler, but since I'm using the free version, I can't figure out
how to get it to actually start scanning (or which type of scan to start).
Is there a way to do this without having to purchase the 'Pro' version?

Thanks,

Oreally

Go into SAS's option and configure it to run a scan when you load it.
Make sure the option to check for updates before a scan is enbaled.

Then define the command in the scheduled task to run the SAS .exe file.
There is no option to exit SAS upon completion of a scan so you will end
up with SAS still loaded upon return to your computer so you can see its
results.

http://forums.superantispyware.com/...line-parameter/page__view__findpost__p__16691
(a year old forum thread)

The free version has no command-line version and its .exe doesn't accept
command-line parameters/switches. Notice they imply that not even the
Pro version has this but might have sometime in the future, like in
version 5 (I just did an update and it's still at version 4.48). Yet
http://www.superantispyware.com/producthistory.html?id=SUPERANTISPYWARE
shows 5.0 as available (for the Pro version) but it doesn't list
command-line switches as a new feature. The list v5 for the free
version at http://www.superantispyware.com/download.html (apparently
their update check in the program only looks for signature updates, not
program updates, so I didn't know there was a new program version).

They didn't originally design it for control via the command line. If
you get the free version, they expect you to initiate it manually. If
you get the paid Pro version then you really don't need to run a
scheduled scan as you have their real-time (on access) monitoring (but
the Pro version does come with their own scheduler).

Rather than use the command-line with a scheduled task defined in the
already existing Task Scheduler service in Windows, SAS uses their own
built-in scheduler to run scheduled tasks; however, that requires the
full/Pro/paid version since their resident process(es) must be running
in order for their scheduler to run.

If you look at the program's help and go to the Frequently Asked
Questions -> What is the difference between the Free and Professional
Versions?" section, you'll see their inbuilt scheduler is available only
in the paid Pro version. The don't list command-line support for either
the free or paid versions. The release history doesn't show they added
command-line support (well, apparently there are some command-line
switches but nothing for controlling operation, like scanning and exit
[if no suspects]).

So it looks like you're stuck with loading SAS from a scheduled task
while configuring SAS to automatically perform a scan when it loads. If
you disable the option to protect itself, you could schedule another
task that runs taskkill on the SAS process but that's a hard way to exit
a program plus you would have to schedule it to run after whatever time
it takes to perform the scan plus killing the program means you don't
see its findings by seeing a log window left on the screen. After
slamming SAS away using taskkill (hopefully after SAS completed its scan
job), you could go review the latest logfile under
%appdata%\SuperAntiSpyware.com\SuperAntiSpyware\Logs.

OREALLY

Thanks....very helpful!

"VanguardLH" wrote in message
[...]

Dustin

I'd like to schedule Super Antispyware to run every day. I can set
it up in the task scheduler, but since I'm using the free version, I
can't figure out how to get it to actually start scanning (or which
type of scan to start). Is there a way to do this without having to
purchase the 'Pro' version?

That's pretty cheap of you.