Maxtor 160 GB Firewire Delyed Write Failed drive letter dropped

G

Windows XP Pr
Maxtor external 160 GB drive Onetouc
Firewire card from Maxtor Allegro FW40
Drive starts to work & then get error " Delayed Write Failed
The drive letter is lost & removed from system. You can re-boot & get the drive back
Have tried everything, it is optimized for removal, not cached
Numerous people have this problem, Maxtor, Allegro, & Microsoft seem to have no answers
Does anybody have a solution to this problem
Thanks !!

G

Hi

Try this

Windows XP Patch: Inconsistent Gap Count Can Cause 1394 Devices to Not Enumerat
This update addresses the "Inconsistent Gap Count Can Cause 1394 Devices to Not Enumerate" issue in Windows XP, and is discussed in Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) Article Q329256. Download now to allow 1394 devices to enumerate

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...&FamilyID=9E8DF3F3-CD0C-4EDB-936A-5F0043E88BB

Hope it helps

Pete

----- tootsie111 wrote: ----

Windows XP Pr
Maxtor external 160 GB drive Onetouc
Firewire card from Maxtor Allegro FW40
Drive starts to work & then get error " Delayed Write Failed
The drive letter is lost & removed from system. You can re-boot & get the drive back
Have tried everything, it is optimized for removal, not cached
Numerous people have this problem, Maxtor, Allegro, & Microsoft seem to have no answers
Does anybody have a solution to this problem
Thanks !!

G

Hi Peter, Thanks, but it did not help
Maxtor Tech Support or Microsoft has been no help either
-
Here's all Maxtor says
-
1.) Thank you for sending your MAXTOR E-mail inquiry
Unplug the 1394 cable from the drive. Unplug the power adapter from the wall or surge protector. Wait 15 seconds. Plug the power back in. Wait 15 seconds. Plug the 1394 cable back in the drive.
Does the device manager detect the drive? Any errors listed by the drive or the 1394 controller
Check Disk Management. Please list the displayed information form the screen about the drive.
( This does not work at all
-
2.)Onetouch drive disconects

Discussion Thread
Response (TSDominik27) 05/24/2004 02:47 PM

Thank you for sending your MAXTOR E-mail inquiry
Code 43-One of the drivers controlling the device notified the operating system that the device failed in some manner
Make sure that the latest Service Pack is installed on the system. Using the device manager, update the driver for the drive.
Try the drive on a USB connection is possible. USB 1.1 or 2.0. See if the same issues are occurring
Thank you
Maxtor Technical Assistanc
-
Have not checked all options out on this reply yet. But can find no new updated drivers, & I have all the current service paks installed. I am going to try USB, but it's slow & not a permanent solution for a backup drive
-
I can find no answer at Maxtor, Microsoft, & Google Comp. ????
-
More to follow: Because I am not the ONLY ONE with Delayed Write Failed Problem. There are alot of other people out there. I did find out it works on Windows Me, so here is another WINDOWS XP PROBLE

G

Contacted Maxtor tech support via phone. Maxtor had no answer & no help. They pass the buck unto Microsoft
Code 43, Maxtor did not know what it was?

Ask a Question