mapping a network drive

jennifer

Our company connects to a server at another company in a
different location. Some of our users map a drive to
that server, and enter a different username and password
then they user when they original log in. When the users
log onto a computer with the map network drive you are
not prompted for a password, the drive simply shows up as
a disconnected network drive until you double click on
it, then you can are prompted to enter your username and
password. The users that still have windows 2000 are
prompted to enter a password when they log in however on
the machines that have XP they have to double click on
the drive. Is there a setting or something that I am
missing to fix this? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Jennifer

Carrie Garth

| message | <SNIP> Some of our users map a drive to [that] server, and enter a
| different username and password then they user when they original
| log in. When the users log onto a computer with the map network
| drive you are not prompted for a password, the drive simply shows up
| as a disconnected network drive until you double click on it, then
| you can are prompted to enter your username and password. <SNIP>

Perhaps the problem is related to the Fast Logon Optimization feature.
You may want to enable the Group Policy setting "Always wait for the
network at computer startup and logon" to see if that solves the
problem. For more information see the following Microsoft Knowledge
Base articles:

KB831998 - Mapped network drive shows no drive letter or will not
allow you to create new long-named files or folders
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;831998

KB304970 - Scripts May Not Run Before Windows Explorer Starts Even
Though the "Run Logon Scripts Synchronously" Setting is Enabled
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;304970

KB305293 - Description of the Windows XP Professional Fast Logon
Optimization Feature
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;305293

that didn't work. It didn't make any difference at all.
Any further help would be greatly apprectiated.

jennifer
| message | <SNIP> Some of our users map a drive to [that] server, and enter a
| different username and password then they user when they original
| log in. When the users log onto a computer with the map network
| drive you are not prompted for a password, the drive simply shows up
| as a disconnected network drive until you double click on it, then
| you can are prompted to enter your username and

Carrie Garth

||| "jennifer" <[email protected] wrote in
||| message ||| <SNIP> Some of our users map a drive to [that] server, and enter a
||| different username and password then they user when they original
||| log in. When the users log onto a computer with the map network
||| drive you are not prompted for a password, the drive simply shows
||| up as a disconnected network drive until you double click on it,
||| then you can are prompted to enter your username and password.
||| <SNIP>

|| Perhaps the problem is related to the Fast Logon Optimization
|| feature. <SNIP> KB831998 <SNIP> KB304970 <SNIP> KB305293

| <[email protected] wrote in message
| | that didn't work. It didn't make any difference at all.
| Any further help would be greatly apprectiated.

You may want to try posting your question in the newsgroup:

microsoft.public.win2000.networking

If you read the newsgroups using the Microsoft Communities Web Page:
http://communities2.microsoft.com/c...spx?query=microsoft.public.win2000.networking

If you read newsgroups using a NNTP newsreader, such as Outlook
Express, and use the msnews.microsoft.com news server: