Major spam issue

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some advice regarding spam. Somehow my yahoo email account has starting sending viagara emails to all my friends and colleagues in work. I have also recently gone back to college and it has sent spam to my lecturers too.....most embarrassing. I have changed my yahoo password and at present am scanning with mbam. A quick scan gave no nasties back and so its doing a full scan. Is my pc infected or just my email? and how do i make sure its gone for good?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Scan pc for a keylogger and change your password, Also change any secret questions/answers.

Reaction score
I use Mailwarebytes and Superantispyware both free editions as well as the Microsoft Security Essentials which is also free.

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Spammers do have the ability to locate SMTP relay machines. What this means is you make a simple telnet connection to an Email server and use the SMTP function to mass send your emails. If the feature is enabled, anyone, can use that mail server to send email to whoever they want.

Reaction score
Scanned with mbam and mse and found nowt. Changed password and security questions as suggested by V_R and all seems fine so far. I hope. @silverhazesurfer....how do i disable the SMTP function?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
If you do that, you no send mail no more. Plus, that is part of Yahoo (and every other mail service). It is an admin thing on the server. Are they showing in your sent mail or just that collegues have gotten these mails from your address? Perhaps you could kill it by disabling your account for a short while. I believe the server would indicate a lack of account on the server to those who are doing the relaying. If that happens, eventually, they will move on.

Reaction score
Okay Thanks Silverhazesurfer......i think they have stopped since i changed passwords. I will let you know if there's anymore spam. Thanks again.

Ask a Question