Major prpblems with IE 6 - need very specialized technical advice

I had the following problems from day 1 of using my new DELL laptop:

- All images and text in INternet Explorer appear degraded (i.e. very
grainy). I have Mozilla as well - and it does not have that problem. Besides
it affects all websites.

- Some internet pop-ups and some of the "local windows" (like the touch pad
controls and the window that pops up when you click Format Cell in Excel) are
of teh wrong size. They cannot be resized by any method (I tried the obvious
point, click and drag as well as tinckering with settings). Moreover, because
of teh wrong size some of the info in the window cannot be seen (like some
tabs and buttons are outside the displayed area). Scroll bars do not appear -
so there is just no way to access anything.

- I tried re-installing IE following the advice on Microsoft website -
including changing the registry. But even when the registry value for IE is
changed to 0 (not installed) and IE is "removed" usng add/remove Windows
components function of the control panel, it still is impossible to reinstall
IE. The installer always says that newer version is already installed. I
tried restarting after changing directory, I also tried not restarting and
every other imaginable order of steps... To no avail.

Since I had the problems from the start I hesitate doing fresh reinstall,
since DELL kindly failed to provide a Windows CD, and all the stuff is hidden
on some partition of the hard drive, so the issue may be inherent in the way
they produced that back-up partition.

If anyone has any idea what can be wrong and how to fix it, I will be very
grateful. Thanks!

Timur

Don Varnau

Hi,
1. Try a DPI setting of 96 (Control Panel> Display> Settings> Advanced> Font
Size.)

2. Try a different screen size (Display Properties> Settings.)

3. See this discussion:
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_video&message.id=79881

4. From Mike:
"Mike Antonello" wrote in message
This is not very scientific but in going through the threads none of the
suggestions seemed to work until I went to Tools, Internet Options,
Accessibility and put a check in Ignore font sizes specified on Web Pages.
Restarted IE and the problem was still there, went back to Accessibility and
removed the check and restarted IE and the pic's were great. As I said I
tried all other suggestions so it was probably a combination that solved the
problem for me but perhaps you folks with more knowledge of IE can connect
what I did with the real solution.
Hope this is helpful...Mike

Hope this helps,
Don