Maintaining File Associations on a large network

Ben

Hi

We have a number (hundreds of thousands) of Word documents on our system
with different extensions to the standard .doc (there are 5 different
extensions), as they were created by a third party application which had a
habit of doing this.

Some of our users have these extensions correctly associated with word,
others do not.

We created a batch file using the Associate application, but the problem is
that the users appear to need to be Admins, either local or domain.

We are running XP SP1 and SP2, we have a couple of 2k Workstations but if I
can automate all the XP's I will do the 2000s manually, we are also running
Windows 2k3 Servers.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks B

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Ben said:
Hi

We have a number (hundreds of thousands) of Word documents on our system
with different extensions to the standard .doc (there are 5 different
extensions), as they were created by a third party application which had a
habit of doing this.

Some of our users have these extensions correctly associated with word,
others do not.

We created a batch file using the Associate application, but the problem is
that the users appear to need to be Admins, either local or domain.

We are running XP SP1 and SP2, we have a couple of 2k Workstations but if I
can automate all the XP's I will do the 2000s manually, we are also running
Windows 2k3 Servers.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks B

An easier and more permanent solution might be to rename
the misnamed Word documents. you can do this with a
batch file in one fell swoop.

David Candy

Write it to HKCU\Software\Classes which are per user associations. If it exists under users then changes affect the user not the machine.

Ben

Thanks Pegasus,

We considered this solution but because of 'business rules' it makes this
difficult.

Thanks

Ben

Thanks David

This worked perfectly, logon scripts created and working correctly.

Thanks