Machines taking over...

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Ooh-er... strange beepings coming from the kitchen...a whole series of them. Nothing is cooking, so there are no timers which should be beeping. Investigations reveal the source to be the microwave. It is sitting there with its scrolling text telling me that it wants me to press the start button... to re-heat pasta.

Huh? :eek: I've never re-heated pasta. I hit the cancel button. But then, a few minutes later, there is more beeping. This time, it's sitting there looking smug, because it's decided to set itself to cook a casserole, and once again, it's waiting for me to hit the start button.

I suspect the machines are planning to take-over our kitchen! Is the washing machine going to join forces and demand to tackle a boil-wash?

Sadly, I guess it's more probably a swan-song. Our trusty Panasonic is a few years old now. It doesn't just nuke things, it convection cooks and grills too.... very efficiently. But evidently something has gone a bit ga-ga in its memory, it still works fine when I set it myself and use it. But if it's developing a "mind of its own" it's probably not a good idea to continue using it... and probably not worth the cost of getting it fixed. :cry:

Aahhh, I get attached to appliances.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Investigations reveal the source to be the microwave. .
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Sorry shouldn't laugh really. My microwave started beeping all on its own a month ago. I hadn't used it for about 3 weeks when this happened. Then about a week ago I used it to warm up some left overs and it went KABOOM. I took it apart and had a look, seems the control panel circuit blew up.:(

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
We had the opposite problem when we moved in to our house earlier this year - the microwave worked fine, but the oven is temperamental, the fridge can't be bothered sometimes, and there is a built-in coffee machine with it's foamer snapped off :rolleyes:

Luckily Ian is very handy and has fixed most things!

RIP microwave, I hope your successor keeps it's owners happy :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
But if it's developing a "mind of its own"

Be careful it's not turning into another HAL, as in 2001, A Space Odyessy. :D

It will be turfing you out of the house next. Get rid. :D

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
He ain't heavy (OK, that's a big, fat lie)...

mf3200.jpg

... he's my Brother (for 25+ years).

Kitchen without my Brother... :cry:

:fool:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I love all of your comments :D Have to be honest - we've had quite a few chuckles when it suddenly starts to "do its thing" ... we like to take guesses at what it will choose to select next! :lol:

We had the opposite problem when we moved in to our house earlier this year - the microwave worked fine, but the oven is temperamental, the fridge can't be bothered sometimes, and there is a built-in coffee machine with it's foamer snapped off :rolleyes:
Don't get me started on the fridge...! Ours (which is about 3 yrs old or so,) is temperamental too, it likes to occasionally leave puddles on the floor - it's like having an incontinent puppy, but not so cuddly.

Luckily Ian is very handy and has fixed most things!

RIP microwave, I hope your successor keeps it's owners happy :D
Erm... I suppose you wouldn't consider hiring him out...? :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Make & model please ... or you could find the manual ... I can "reset" my LG. :)

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Make & model please ... or you could find the manual ... I can "reset" my LG. :)
It's Panasonic NN A753W and we still have the manual, but it doesn't mention anything about resetting. Shame, that would have been good. However, we can't grumble about its longevity... it was purchased way back in 2003 and has been in constant use. :D

Normally found in the Man drawer
That's really funny, I like Michael McIntyre's humour. :lol:

Reaction score
My Mum bought a new microwave 2 years ago and only uses it when i'm around!
Must admit it does go in to detail with what your cooking, weight & how hot you want it!!
Mum just wants a simple one without an lcd display.

And TC, i promise i did not laugh, not even a little bit!:lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's more than likely the control panel board, otherwise known as the central processor that's faulty. More specifically it's an educated guess - though by no means certain of course - a decoupling capacitor or other component is going intermittently leaky to 0 volts (ground) and triggering spurious instructions.

A repair person would likely just swap the board out making the repair cost about £50 minimum charge labour and probably about another £50 for the board. If you could do it yourself I'd gamble on the board but after seven year's use it's probably worth getting a new one.

My microwave is medium sized, nowt fancy, generic brand and only extra it has is a grill element. I changed the bulb a coupla weeks ago, it blew. That was the 2nd bulb replacement. Other than that, it's ten years old and still doing the biz.

I would beware of your Microwave Ms Welsh Feline, it could be the start of a quest for World domination, starting with the conquest of one house in Acacia Avenue :eek:

All your microwaveable ready meals are belong to us! :cool:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
And TC, i promise i did not laugh, not even a little bit!:lol:
Why am I not believing you...? :D

It's more than likely the control panel board, otherwise known as the central processor that's faulty. More specifically it's an educated guess - though by no means certain of course - a decoupling capacitor or other component is going intermittently leaky to 0 volts (ground) and triggering spurious instructions.
Ooh...nasty

A repair person would likely just swap the board out making the repair cost about £50 minimum charge labour and probably about another £50 for the board. If you could do it yourself I'd gamble on the board but after seven year's use it's probably worth getting a new one.
Hmm, 'tis as we thought cost-wise. It's more like nine years btw - not splitting hairs, but I remember buying it at our local Argos store. Terry had just spent a couple of weeks in hospital, so he wasn't very mobile at the time.

Anyway, it sticks in my mind because after making the purchase, I asked a member of staff if someone could help me get it to the car. I'd parked right outside the doors, so it wasn't far. She looked at me as if I'd asked for it to be carted half-way up mount Everest by Sherpa. "No, sorry, we're short staffed today..." There were folk shifting stuff around behind her, but none, apparently, could be spared for about 2 minutes tops!

I was wondering how the heck I was going to tackle the problem, when a kindly customer gent stepped up and carried it out to the car for me. I could have hugged him.... but didn't, of course lol. Oh, and no, I wasn't "playing the helpless female" I genuinely couldn't manage it.

My microwave is medium sized, nowt fancy, generic brand and only extra it has is a grill element. I changed the bulb a coupla weeks ago, it blew. That was the 2nd bulb replacement. Other than that, it's ten years old and still doing the biz.
It's often the luck of the draw with microwaves imho. We've never even had a failed bulb in our veteran appliance; yet, we had a previous one, (same brand,) which only lasted for 4 years before giving up the ghost completely one day.

The main reason for choosing one which would convection cook, etc., was because I could bake various things (scones, home-made pies, crispy jacket potatoes etc.,) without needing to wait for the larger, gas-cooker oven to heat-up. It worked out very conveniently - probably saved a few fuel costs over the years too. :)

I would beware of your Microwave Ms Welsh Feline, it could be the start of a quest for World domination, starting with the conquest of one house in Acacia Avenue :eek:

All your microwaveable ready meals are belong to us! :cool:
Yes my dear Holmes, I fear you are correct!! :lol:

Ask a Question