Cooking with gas? Fainting more like!

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
We all know that energy costs are rising, but we've just received a letter from British Gas, informing us of a price increase. After "reviewing" our monthly payments (for heating and cooking) the monthly fee will be more than doubled, to £107 per month!

We still use the same amount of gas as we have used for the past umpteen years, so what a hike! :eek:

It wouldn't be so bad, but our sitting room is permanently cold, because of the "safety" vent which lets in an icy current of air during winter. Doh :wall:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
That is a LOT !! :eek:

I assume that you have electricity charges on top of that. Have you tried any of the websites that compare prices from different suppliers based on your previous meter readings?

It can also work out cheaper if you get both gas and electricity from the same supplier - they often do special deals. :thumb:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
£107 p/month for gas !!!! what you warming up a Kiln ??. mine is £40 for gas and £30 for leccy per month

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Rush said:
£107 p/month for gas !!!! what you warming up a Kiln ??. mine is £40 for gas and £30 for leccy per month

Yes our's was only £51 per month too - until this morning! And this is just a small bungalow, five rooms altogether, not including the hallway.

A kiln might be a good idea though... I could take up a new hobby and we'd keep warm at the same time :lol:

Reaction score
Taffycat said:
We all know that energy costs are rising, but we've just received a letter from British Gas, informing us of a price increase. After "reviewing" our monthly payments (for heating and cooking) the monthly fee will be more than doubled, to £107 per month!

We still use the same amount of gas as we have used for the past umpteen years, so what a hike! :eek:

It wouldn't be so bad, but our sitting room is permanently cold, because of the "safety" vent which lets in an icy current of air during winter. Doh
wallbash.gif

Save yourself money by heating only the rooms that you are in..If you're in the frot room say watching tely and the heating is on in there, keep the door closed..You'd be supprised how all those little things addup and end up costing you more..

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I only have one gas fire, it only on in winter if cold, I pay £15 a month this year ... big hole in the wall also for "ventilation" ... we shall see. :mad:

Electric is £30 per month, and that includes elec cooker, fridge, freezer, water heater, washing machine, oil radiator (bathroom gets cold) ... oh, and 3 PC's. :D

I also used to get a reduction as an "at risk" person ... but, err, I now "earn" too much money to qualify. :rolleyes:

I live in a hovel ... it's a bed-sit. :lol:

:wave:

Reaction score
Eon> Gas+heating /Electricity £74 PM Masionett. the same service with BG [BLOODY GRABS] £108 PM for the next door Masionett same size as mine. time for a change TC

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Whoa Itsme, that is a huge difference, isn't it :eek: Yes, I think it maybe is time for a change, as you say Itsme, Rush and Niv. When I took just a quick look around, I found we could save about £400... so we will take a "proper" look now methinks.:thumb:

I wasn't meaning to whinge or anything, because if we turn the heating up, naturally we expect to pay for that... I just felt rather cross at the sheer "hike" for no extra usage ... just as I expect others will, as these increases filter through. (For those who haven't taken steps to get either a capped arrangement, or something of the kind, that is.)

Did any of you find any problems when you made the switch? Is it really as straightforward as they say, to change energy companies? :confused:

Thanks guys
:)

Reaction score
e-on phone number 0800 917 3353 ring them ask them all the questions you need, the change will usually take a month. Make sure BG dont mess you about as at the end of the day they want you to stay with them and will try to keep you, dont put up with any messing from them? e-on will get in touch with them if they do mess about;)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You could always chop down them trees you have and burn them. Its a bit old fashioned but its free heat.

:p
laughingsmiley.gif

Reaction score
I keep fuel costs down by wearing a warm pair of joggers, rugby top to & thick socks.
Coupled with a log burner all seems ok, central heating not so good though.
Have you thought TC of buying shares in the gas company so when they make a profit you get something back!:rolleyes:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
itsme said:
e-on phone number 0800 917 3353 ring them ask them all the questions you need, the change will usually take a month. Make sure BG dont mess you about as at the end of the day they want you to stay with them and will try to keep you, dont put up with any messing from them? e-on will get in touch with them if they do mess about;)

Thank you for that info Itsme, my other half and I will be taking a look into that :thumb:

Abarbarian said:
You could always chop down them trees you have and burn them. Its a bit old fashioned but its free heat.

Yes, maybe a small bonfire in the middle of the room - teepee style :lol:

murdoch said:
Have you thought TC of buying shares in the gas company so when they make a profit you get something back!

Hmmm... that lot are getting enough out of us already I think, including the safety check contract we've got with them :rolleyes: :D

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Taffycat said:

Did any of you find any problems when you made the switch? Is it really as straightforward as they say, to change energy companies? :confused:

When I changed,using uswitch, it was very easy with no problems whatsoever. And it saved me several hundred pounds a year. :thumb:
happywave.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I've changed several times but it seems to me that they all kinda bottom out eventually and seem to charge the same.

Just recently, British Gas raised their prices. Aha, thought I, time to change, but within a week all the others had upped their prices as well.

I moved in to my new place in June and I haven't actually had my Gas cooker plumbed in yet. And no, I can't do it myself as I need a CORGI certificate.

I've been using a Camping stove, single ring, slow cooker and microwave and I figure I'm probably saving a lot of money. We shall see.

Will have to get it plumbed in soon though, I'm missing my oven.

Reaction score
The only gas used in my place is for cooking and hot water...We have a saying in our house...If yer cold then gan get yersen a jumper on....I've lived in the U.K for near 16 years now, all the way from Inverness, Newcastle, Grimsby, Bolton, Cardiff, Southampton and now in London and I can honestly say I have never found it cold enough to warrent having central heating on..Just a waste of money if you ask me..

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
The only gas used in my place is for cooking and hot water...We have a saying in our house...If yer cold then gan get yersen a jumper on....I've lived in the U.K for near 16 years now, all the way from Inverness, Newcastle, Grimsby, Bolton, Cardiff, Southampton and now in London and I can honestly say I have never found it cold enough to warrent having central heating on..Just a waste of money if you ask me..

Oh, leave it out. My central heating broke down at Christmas time 3 or 4 years ago and I had ice forming indoors.

Now, that's cold. And yes, I guess it's true that you feel the cold more as you get older.

I can actually remember living in my van, aged 22, homeless, shivering in the back at 4am and vowing I'd never be without heat again.

It's a short life and I love the central heating :thumb:

I expect the day will come when I can't afford it in which case I'll have to put six layers of clothing on, die through cold or top meself.

Now then, Madx, you may be able to tolerate the temperatures Arctic Explorers put up with but your poor wife and kids, you cruel so-and-so.... ;)

Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
Now then, Madx, you may be able to tolerate the temperatures Arctic Explorers put up with but your poor wife and kids, you cruel so-and-so.... ;)

lol, i'm not cruel really...Probably just don't have the heating on cause I have a very well insulated house..This might seem sad to some people, but there are the little things like keeping doors closed, draft out etc that keeps the warmth in..My kids are extremely active so never complain about cold...lol

Reaction score
Hello Taffycat.

Who suggested you have a vent that lets in cold air in the winter months,I bet it was the gas supplier, in which case they are onto a right little earner.Can`t you get a carbon monoxide monitor instead,that would tell you if you have a build up of noxious fumes,you could have them around the house.
Just a suggestion.
historian.

Ask a Question