LSASS.exe

victor

Hi there,

I have a very serious problem with LSASS.exe. It takes 100% of the CPU.... I
tried installing service pack 3 & 4. But it did not help in solving this
problem... I have Windows 2000 server with active directory installed on it.
This server is very critical to us... After the reboot for first 10 minutes
server seems to be running OK, after 10 minutes LSASS.exe consumes 100% of
the CPU & system slows down... None of the users on the network are able to
log-on to the network.. PLEASE HELP!

Thanks
Victor

news.microsft.com

Thanks for the response. I have already applied the service pack which did
not resolve the issue. I am not running exchange server on this domain
controller either. PLEASE HELP!!

David Pharr [MSFT]

When did the problem first occur? If the domain controller was working
fine up to a certain point then you need to narrow down what changed in the
environment.

Disable all third-party services (antivirus, NIC management, backup, etc.)
and test to see if the problem occurs. If you're doing auditing, turn
that off to see if that is creating your issue. Performance monitoring
should help you determine what process is causing your issue.
--------------------
| From: "news.microsft.com" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: LSASS.exe
| Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:50:18 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| Thanks for the response. I have already applied the service pack which did
| not resolve the issue. I am not running exchange server on this domain
| controller either. PLEASE HELP!!
|
| | > check out Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 331330
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-
| > US;331330

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)

news.microsft.com

It has to do with the authentication from Windows NT workstation. Whenever
Windows NT workstation tries to access the domain controller, LSASS.exe
takes 100% of CPU & stays at 100% until the server is rebooted... Strange
thing is that, Windows 98 computer does not have problem accessing the
server where as NT workstation computer shows the logon error messages...

"David Pharr [MSFT]" said:
When did the problem first occur? If the domain controller was working
fine up to a certain point then you need to narrow down what changed in the
environment.

Disable all third-party services (antivirus, NIC management, backup, etc.)
and test to see if the problem occurs. If you're doing auditing, turn
that off to see if that is creating your issue. Performance monitoring
should help you determine what process is causing your issue.
--------------------
| From: "news.microsft.com" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: LSASS.exe
| Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:50:18 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| Thanks for the response. I have already applied the service pack which did
| not resolve the issue. I am not running exchange server on this domain
| controller either. PLEASE HELP!!
|
| | > check out Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 331330
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-
| > US;331330

So it sounds like you've narrowed down the offending workstation, now you
need to narrow down the process on that workstation that is creating your
issue. When did the problem with that workstation first appear? Do you
have multiple NT4.0 workstations exhibiting this behavior or only one? Is
it running SP6a with all the appropriate patches? When you say "access the
domain controller" are you talking about logging onto the domain controller
or connecting to a share or other resource on that DC?

If you've got one offending workstation either rebuild it or
uninstall/disable applications and services until you find the cause of the
problem.

David Pharr, (e-mail address removed)

| From: "news.microsft.com" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: LSASS.exe
| Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:05:04 -0500
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory
|
| It has to do with the authentication from Windows NT workstation. Whenever
| Windows NT workstation tries to access the domain controller, LSASS.exe
| takes 100% of CPU & stays at 100% until the server is rebooted... Strange
| thing is that, Windows 98 computer does not have problem accessing the
| server where as NT workstation computer shows the logon error messages...
|
| | > When did the problem first occur? If the domain controller was working
| > fine up to a certain point then you need to narrow down what changed in
| the
| > environment.
| >
| > Disable all third-party services (antivirus, NIC management, backup,
etc.)
| > and test to see if the problem occurs. If you're doing auditing, turn
| > that off to see if that is creating your issue. Performance monitoring
| > should help you determine what process is causing your issue.
| > --------------------
| > | From: "news.microsft.com" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: LSASS.exe
| > | Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 10:50:18 -0500
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory

cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!cpmsftngxa09.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP12.
| > phx.gbl
| > |
| > | Thanks for the response. I have already applied the service pack which
| did
| > | not resolve the issue. I am not running exchange server on this domain
| > | controller either. PLEASE HELP!!
| > |

| > |
| > |