Low Capture Volume Problem

Matt Olsen

I have a Radeon AIW 9000 Pro. I've been recording since November and
have made dozens of DVDs from MMC captures which have turned out just
fine. Last Monday, I had to move the card from my wife's computer to
mine because she was having lockups. After a few adjustments (using
lordsmurf's recommended settings), I used the card all week and the
captures were just fine.

When I went to edit the mpgs I captured yesterday, I noticed that they
all suffer from the same low volume problem. They're barely audible
(and yes, I replayed mpgs recorded earlier in the week and they were
fine). I hadn't monkeyed with any settings or installed anything new
during the week. I played with all of the windows volume sliders,
creative's sound mixer (it's a Live! 5.1 card), MMC settings,
registry, etc and they all come out the same low volume. Again, I'm
so perplexed because it worked just fine until yesterday. I'm about
out of options to look into. Any pointers would be appreciated.

John Schuler

Matt said:
[...]

If you REALLY get stuck and can't get the sound to work at normal vulume
again, check out:

http://www.dvdrhelp.com/forum/archive/t171269.html

Search for the article "abrakadabra posted 2003 Aug 05 14:05" - there is
a registry hack described, I was NEVER able to capture at reasonable
vulumes, so this was a pot o gold.

Matt Olsen

John Schuler said:
Search for the article "abrakadabra posted 2003 Aug 05 14:05" - there is
a registry hack described, I was NEVER able to capture at reasonable
vulumes, so this was a pot o gold.

Thanks for the quick response. I read and tried setting those values
(and I even went higher than abrakadabra set his) and still had no
luck. The hunt continues....

Gordon Scott

Matt said:
Thanks for the quick response. I read and tried setting those values
(and I even went higher than abrakadabra set his) and still had no
luck. The hunt continues....

I too tried this hack, 8500dv and mmc 8.6, it seemed to work altho, with
each subsequent recording the value lessened in the registry by about a
value of 3. This was after I closed and reopened mmc. Its a half assed
fix at best, so i just keep the reg file on the desktop and merge it to
replace the optimal values before starting.

Gordon

Laurence Wilmer

Matt Olsen said:
John Schuler <[email protected]> wrote in message

Thanks for the quick response. I read and tried setting those values
(and I even went higher than abrakadabra set his) and still had no
luck. The hunt continues....

I have had some success fiddling with the key UDA1380_MASTER_VOL
in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ATI TechnologiesWDMCapture\

It wants a pair of hex numbers, representing a volume level for each L/R
channel, and strangely gives more volume with lower values.

I am currently running at 1010 hex.

HTH!,
Laurence

Gordon Scott

Laurence said:
I have had some success fiddling with the key UDA1380_MASTER_VOL
in
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\ATI TechnologiesWDMCapture\

It wants a pair of hex numbers, representing a volume level for each L/R
channel, and strangely gives more volume with lower values.

I am currently running at 1010 hex.

HTH!,
Laurence

hmmm... the value i have is UDA1380_MASTER_VOL mines at 3232 hex

Laurence Wilmer

Gordon Scott said:
hmmm... the value i have is UDA1380_MASTER_VOL mines at 3232 hex

Well try editing it down to 1616 hex and see if your volume on recording and
playback goes up! If so, try 0808...

That's what I did (after backing up the registry), and it worked as a
partial solution.

Laurence

Matt Olsen

Well, I don't know what the problem was, but switching to another
sound card did the trick. I tried the onboard sound, a Hercules Muse
5.1 and a SBPCI 16 and there were fine. In the process, an A/V synch
problem arose which didn't go away until I reinstalled the OS with the
SoundBlaster 16 in place.

Incidentally, the SB16 was the only card of the five I tried that
reported good clock stability for the majority of tests. So far so
good.