Lost User Licenses When I restored Windows 2000 Server From a Backup

G

I have a Windows 2000 Server set up as an applications server with 65 "Per Seat" Windows licenses and 20 Terminal Server CALs. A few weeks ago, I lost my primary hard drive, replaced it with a new one, and restored my system from a full backup. Everything seemed to restore just fine, including all my users in the Active Directory and my Terminal Server Licensing.

But about a week later, I had cause to look at the Windows Licensing and noticed that none of my 65 user CAL purchases were restored and all 50 (or so) of my users were marked as having "Unlicensed Usage". I went ahead and entered the Windows CALs again -- but all my users are still flagged as having "Unlicensed Usage". I figured this would go away as they later logged into the server -- but that didn't do anything. The only user I have with "Licensed Usage" is the new user I added on the day I discovered the license problem and reentered the CALs. I realize that all of these other user accounts were set up prior to my re-entering the Windows CALs -- but I did not have the option to include Purchase Date when entering the CALs. It just marked them with the date I entered them.

How do I resolve this problem?

G

I figured out a way to resolve my problem. If I revoke a user's license, the Licenced and Unlicenced Usage flags both get set to zero. Then, when the user logs in again, Licensed Usage is set to 1 and Unlicensed Usage remains zero. However, in doing this I loose the connection history of each user -- the "Number of Accesses" count gets reset to zero

I'm not really sure what "Revoking a license" really does, but it does seem to resolve my problem. However, it seems reasonable to me that when entering Windows License Paks, the administrator should be able to enter the purchase date so this problem can be avoided.

If you know of any other solutions, I'd still like to hear from you

Thanks.

Ask a Question