Lost Newsgroups

donwb

All the newsgroups I subscribe to including, Outlook & Excel
seem to be no longer available on ""msnews.microsoft.com.""
except this one.
Can anyone tell me where they've gone & how I get them back.
donwb

Peter Taylor

All the newsgroups I subscribe to including, Outlook& Excel
seem to be no longer available on ""msnews.microsoft.com.""
except this one.
Can anyone tell me where they've gone& how I get them back.
donwb

They're gone forever using msnews.microsoft.com. Microsoft is ending its
support for newsgroups in lieu of web forums. Try using another news
server like eternal-september or aioe.org.

Bruce Hagen

Microsoft Responds to the Evolution of Communities
http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/default.mspx

Newsgroups removed as of June 1, 2010
http://msmvps.com/blogs/bradley/archive/2010/06/05/closin-the-nntp.aspx

You can still access the groups on some non-MS servers such as Eternal
September, but how long the quality of questions and replies lasts is
unknown.

Eternal September
http://www.newsgroupreviews.com/eternal-september.html

The replacement forums.

Microsoft Answers - First Time Users
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/default.aspx

Michael

donwb said:
All the newsgroups I subscribe to including, Outlook & Excel
seem to be no longer available on ""msnews.microsoft.com.""
except this one.
Can anyone tell me where they've gone & how I get them back.
donwb

If you regularly used those groups you should've noticed all the warning
posts M$ sent out informing you they were shutting them down.

Greg Russell

All the newsgroups I subscribe to including, Outlook & Excel
seem to be no longer available on ""msnews.microsoft.com.""

Use a *real* Usenet news server such as http://individual.net so you can
continue to use any NNTP client such as OE, Free Agent or Pan to access
newsgroups.

Nobody needs that web-interface bullshit such as M$ is now using.

ctowers

If "how long the quality of questions and replies lasts is unknown",
then the groups could outlast everyone of us. ;-)

W****n S.

ctowers said:
If "how long the quality of questions and replies lasts is unknown",
then the groups could outlast everyone of us. ;-)

Yea, I get tired of reading that also. And like you point out, with the way
web based forums are, usenet may outlast everyone.

ctowers

W****n S. said:
Yea, I get tired of reading that also. And like you point out, with
the way web based forums are, usenet may outlast everyone.

The quality and longevity of Microsoft and its forums is certainly more
questionable than that of Usenet.

Iceman

In this group ctowers wrote in message
The quality and longevity of Microsoft and its forums is certainly
more questionable than that of Usenet.

The very longevity of Usenet is a testimony to its superiority and
usefulness (especially to people who still have a slow Internet connection).