Lost my new phone

Reaction score
I left my phone on the bus yesterday afternoon. It's the Samsung D500 and i got it for xmas. I didnt realise i had left it there until i was off and it had gone, i phoned up the bus company 15mins later and told them the bus etc and they said they would put a call out to drivers and would phone me back and let me know.

I havent heard from them, i also tried ringing the phone although 8hours later and it is switched off so i dunno if that means someone has it.

I have blocked the sim card and actual mobile today. I have to check the lost property tommorow so there is still hope, if you took a phone why would you turn it off? Surely you would use any money that was on the card?

Is there a way to find out when it was last on and when it was turned off? Im really gutted as it cost £130 and had it for just over a month :(

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Hi

The only thing I can think of is to ring your mobile provider and ask for the information that you require.

Gabs xx

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Unless someone hands it in, its probably unlikely you'll get it back :( I know a few people that have left their phones on a bus/cinema etc... and they've never been seen again :(

Luckily you cancelled your sim card ASAP though, I know a guy that left it in a taxi and he had a £350 bill the next day :eek:. The taxi driver had called his relatives on the other side of the world on the guys phone!

Reaction score
I have hope thoug because it is turned off so that could mean the driver found it and turned it off and it is now in lost property as they wouldnt want it to keep ringing etc or someone has taken it.

I phoned up the bus company 15mins after getting off the bus so hopefully the bus drivers checked soon after, there wasnt anyone the the bus when i got off, although i dont know how many got on between me getting of and the driver checking.

I still have hope it is sitting in lost propery. I can't believe i lost it, i use to have a smaller phone that this one and never lost it.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
If someone nicked it, they will probably have taken out your SIM card (since you cancelled it) which is why is sounds like it's turned off when you call :(

I hope it was handed in, mate!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If there was no-one on the bus and you rang straight after then there sounds like there is some hope :) Try giving them another ring and see if its there :)

Reaction score
I didnt ring until 8 hours later as i was at work at the time. The actual phone is blocked so if someone has it they can't use it. I rang my phone before i blocked it and went to answerphone and i blocked it today.

Reaction score
Sorry m8 but it the IMEI can be changed quite easily even tho it is illegal to do. There is still plenty of people that will do it for a few quid.

Dont mean to pt a dampener on your hope, but I prety much guess you wont get it back :( I hope you do however!

GL

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
Sorry m8 but it the IMEI can be changed quite easily even tho it is illegal to do. There is still plenty of people that will do it for a few quid.

Dont mean to pt a dampener on your hope, but I prety much guess you wont get it back :( I hope you do however!

GL

I thought you could only change the IMEI number if it wan't blocked? I have to check the lost property tommorow and i will find out then.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Best of luck! We've all got our fingers and toes crossed for you! :)

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Oh dear, was it insured?

I doubt you'll see it again tbh. :(

Reaction score
Not insured, i never thought i would need it, how wrong i was :( How much does it cost anyway?

Reaction score
stuartw101 said:
I thought you could only change the IMEI number if it wan't blocked? I have to check the lost property tommorow and i will find out then.

Unfortunately you can, all blocking the phone does is stop it being used normally.

Thats why people have it changed, so it can be used with another simm.

Reaction score
No m8, what i'm saying is it can be changed/unblocked so it can be used again!

Basically a random IMEI is written to the eeprom on the phone.

Reaction score
So why does the network block it, if anyone can change it still? If it has been blocked what comes onto the screen when you turn it on?

Reaction score
It was outlawed by the government to change IMEI's with a massive fine incurred to anyone that gets caught doing it in computer fairs and alikes. however it is still done. I guess the issue was brought up in the news and what not to scare people into not doing it anymore. If I remember correctly the fine is quite big, about 5k so the companys are saying "if you are doing it better stop cos we will catch you". The phone usually just displays the Manuafacturer again on boot up and everything else is normal. Access to the fone can then be made even tho the IMEI was changed with a random one.

Dont get me wrong I dont know much about it really and I dont intend to give anyone any ideas about doing it. But it is still possible and people still do it. The equipment to do it is very expensive and changes all the time to get around the different software types and phone models.

Reaction score
No mate special programmers are needed and as I said they can be very expensive.

But it is possible, thats why I said dont expect to get the fone back.
Sorry to be a bringer of bad news!

:(

Ask a Question