Lost in Space(ial)

G

I'm not sure if this is as much an IE problem as an XP problem (With their close integration it's hard to tell) but anyway there is no longer an IE icon displayed for my htm and html files. Microsoft knowledge base doesn't seem to address the problem. I simply get the standard "non-association" icon as though Windows doesn't know what to do with it. But when clicked IE is still associated with the files. Is there a way to rebuild Windows Icon group? Any help would be appreciated.

G

Thanks for replying but I've tried both to no avail.I install and sometimes uninstall small apps. This may have been the cause but event viewer gives no indication.

R

Ramesh [MVP]

Silverdoor,

Open Regedit.exe and goto these locations:

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\DefaultIcon]
In the right-pane, set the (default) value to "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe,1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\http\DefaultIcon]
Set the (default) to "%SystemRoot%\system32\url.dll,0"

If this does not help, please post the Operating System you're using. And, sure you ran IEFIX?

G

Ramesh
I,m back. I edited the reg. It was fine except for a [.1] at the end of the string. I run XP sp1 (and soon sp2) I have 4 part. on two drives, keep all my apps on [D], files on [F], and after having my IE searchbar(set for google) hijacked by an odd search engine reimaged to a known good image and reinstalling Dreamweaver,Easycleaner,RegMechanic and another few apps. I at first didn't notice this prob
I also ran your IEFix which basicly rebuilds IE (It asked for my Windows disk. My orig. disk is Win XP Pro under Software assurance. But your app. asks for SP1 wich I installed from Windows online so it keeps asking for the disk SP1) I still can't see an Explorer Icon on any htm or html files
Thanks for taking the time to help
Mark

H

hardhead

try tweakui
-----Original Message-----
I'm not sure if this is as much an IE problem as an XP
problem (With their close integration it's hard to tell)
but anyway there is no longer an IE icon displayed for my
htm and html files. Microsoft knowledge base doesn't seem
to address the problem. I simply get the standard "non-
association" icon as though Windows doesn't know what to
do with it. But when clicked IE is still associated with
the files. Is there a way to rebuild Windows Icon group?
Any help would be appreciated.

R

Ramesh [MVP]

Rec'd your mail. will reply....

--
Ramesh - Microsoft MVP
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k
-----------------------------------------

Ramesh,
I,m back. I edited the reg. It was fine except for a [.1] at the end of the string. I run XP sp1 (and soon sp2) I have 4 part. on two drives, keep all my apps on [D], files on [F], and after having my IE searchbar(set for google) hijacked by an odd search engine reimaged to a known good image and reinstalling Dreamweaver,Easycleaner,RegMechanic and another few apps. I at first didn't notice this prob.
I also ran your IEFix which basicly rebuilds IE (It asked for my Windows disk. My orig. disk is Win XP Pro under Software assurance. But your app. asks for SP1 wich I installed from Windows online so it keeps asking for the disk SP1) I still can't see an Explorer Icon on any htm or html files.
Thanks for taking the time to help.
Mark

Ask a Question