Looking for freeware that is also "No install"

Susan Bugher

Anonymous said:
I'm looking for freeware that is also "No install."

Has anybody got a list (or know of a website) that contains freeware
products that do not require any installation in order to run?

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ProgramIndex.php

Sort on the "I" column to group the no install apps. From the notes at
the bottom of the page:

<q>
Column I shows installation and interface information:
n.i. = no install,
n.r. = no registry entries,
CLI = Command Line Interface
</q>

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

bambam

I'm looking for freeware that is also "No install."

Has anybody got a list (or know of a website) that contains freeware
products that do not require any installation in order to run?

Here are a couple of links-

http://www.portablefreeware.com/
http://www.dirk-loss.de/win-tools.htm
http://www.kikizas.net/en/usbapps.html
http://standalone.atspace.org/apps.html
http://www.theinfobox.com/index.php/Portable_USB_Apps
http://portableapps.com/
http://www.tinyapps.org/ (apps with the green award)

Lou

Susan said:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_ProgramIndex.php

Sort on the "I" column to group the no install apps. From the notes at
the bottom of the page:

<q>
Column I shows installation and interface information:
n.i. = no install,
n.r. = no registry entries,
CLI = Command Line Interface
</q>

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Thanks from a lurker.

Lou

Susan Bugher

Anonymous said:
Hi Susan,

THANK you very much!

YW. :) I forgot the ACF wiki page John Hood created. :(

http://acfwiki.pbwiki.com/NoInstallFreeware

Links and apps - bambam posted most of the links and a couple that
weren't there - now added - thanks bambam. :)

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Roger Johansson

Here are a couple of links-

You can also create no-install programs yourself, by testing which of
your installed programs can be moved and works in another computer, so
you see what programs can run from its own folder without installation.

For example, install Opera browser as usual.
Move the Opera folder to another partition or copy the folder to
another computer.
If it still runs without problems you have a no-install Opera package,
its own folder with subfolders. Some programs, like Opera, have no
problems being treated like this, and can be used as no-install
programs.

Thomas Lauer

Roger Johansson said:
You can also create no-install programs yourself, by testing which of
your installed programs can be moved and works in another computer, so
you see what programs can run from its own folder without installation.

For example, install Opera browser as usual.
Move the Opera folder to another partition or copy the folder to
another computer.
If it still runs without problems you have a no-install Opera package,
its own folder with subfolders. Some programs, like Opera, have no
problems being treated like this, and can be used as no-install
programs.

Opera is not a perfect example. A lot of programs these days write stuff
into various user directories (under "Documents and Settings" or
whatever the name is under the various guises of Win32).

Opera *can* be configured to write its stuff into other directories but
it doesn't do so by default.

A good way way to find out whether a program is indeed USB-stickable is
to use FileMon (http://sysinternals.com/) and monitor which files are
opened while the app runs.