PAD File Use Among Freeware Writers

socrtwo

A PAD File is an XML document I think was developed by the Association
of Shareware Professionals (http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/). It
contains standardized information, such as the name of the program, a
description, file size, version number etc. It is meant to be used by
shareware authors and distributors to automate and standardize
information about shareware and thus make creating entries and updating
them in a distributors site easier.

If the files are left at one unchanging URL on shareware author's
website, the distributors can periodically poll the location to see if
a software update has been posted. Also shareware authors can submit
their freeware to sites simply by submitting the location of their XML
PAD file location.

I was wondering if their is a similar system for freeware, whether
others agree that freeware authors should be encouraged to take a few
minutes to write a PAD file. The free PADGEN for creating a file is
here: http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/downloads/PADSetup.exe.

I did an experiment and looked up the the commercial programs for
corrupt file recovery on the database at the ASP Site. The major
players all had PAD files for their programs, so the use is probably
widespread among shareware/commercialware. Certainly the use of PAD
files would make my job as a Freeware distributor, much easier.

Paul Pruitt
www.s2services.com - a extensive list of corrupt and deleted file,
failing disks and lost password recovery freeware.

Mel

[...]

PADGen easily creates Portable Application Descriptions (PAD) files for
all your applications. Use PAD to get all of the important information
to your vendors and webmasters as quickly and as concisely as possible.
With this information long detailed submission forms may soon be a thing
of the past! Submitting the PAD file will easily allow webmasters access
to all your information.

http://www.padgen.org/

Susan Bugher

socrtwo said:
I did an experiment and looked up the the commercial programs for
corrupt file recovery on the database at the ASP Site. The major
players all had PAD files for their programs, so the use is probably
widespread among shareware/commercialware. Certainly the use of PAD
files would make my job as a Freeware distributor, much easier.

erm. . . Maybe you should look around a bit. Some freeware authors are
already using pad files. Links to their pad files are often shown on
their web sites.

I don't know if they're using the PAD Repository at:
http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/padlib.asp

ISTM there are a few drawbacks to the pad file system. I suspect some of
the Ware types we use in ACF are used rather infrequently by freeware
authors. ;)

Lessee, Arjan posted an update for Messenger Plus! Extension today.
Arjan said "Please note: This excellent piece of software comes with
spyware, but during install you can choose not to install this. Be
carefull, install the software without the spyware, and have fun !!!"

It's Liteware too. So what does the *author* have to say about it on his
web site?

http://www.msgplus.net/download.php

"Messenger Plus! is a freeware. Freeware is neither spyware nor
shareware but freeware. It's 100% free to use and you can choose whether
you want to install the sponsor program that comes with it or not. Don't
let rumors get to you, join millions of happy users now!"

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Vegard Krog Petersen

Susan said:
erm. . . Maybe you should look around a bit. Some freeware authors are
already using pad files. Links to their pad files are often shown on
their web sites.

I don't know if they're using the PAD Repository at:
http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/padlib.asp

I have one small freeware game and I created a PAD file and uploaded to
the PAD Repository. Many freeware/shareware download sites pull from the
PAD Repository and a lot are PAD-only:

http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/padsites.asp

I recommend all authors of freeware to use/create PAD/XML.

regards from vegard

socrtwo

Susan said:
erm. . . Maybe you should look around a bit. Some freeware authors are
already using pad files. Links to their pad files are often shown on
their web sites.

I know...
I don't know if they're using the PAD Repository at:
http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/padlib.asp

A freeware only repository might be good to have. How about
pricelesswarehome.org hosting it?...I can work on it (famous last
words)...
ISTM there are a few drawbacks to the pad file system. I suspect some of
the Ware types we use in ACF are used rather infrequently by freeware
authors. ;)

Sorry, I don't follow.

socrtwo

Vegard said:
I have one small freeware game and I created a PAD file and uploaded to
the PAD Repository. Many freeware/shareware download sites pull from the
PAD Repository and a lot are PAD-only:

http://www.asp-shareware.org/pad/padsites.asp

I recommend all authors of freeware to use/create PAD/XML.

regards from vegard

Good info thanks. I guess it's silly for a nonprogrammer to ask the
developers to do something, kind of like looking at a gift horse in the
mouth.

By the way, what are the ethics of creating a PAD file for authors? If
I create one for each program on my site (fanmous last words again) I
could send it to the programmer and ask if he/she wants to use it and
post it on his/her site. Padkit polls location once a day looking for
software updates.

Susan Bugher

socrtwo said:
Susan Bugher wrote:

A freeware only repository might be good to have. How about
pricelesswarehome.org hosting it?...I can work on it (famous last
words)...

erm. . . don't look for help from me - I've got more than enough on my
plate. IOW - if the group favors the idea you'll have to DO it. :)

Pad files would only be useful for a limited number of the apps on the
Pricelessware site. IMO it would be way more trouble than it's worth to
incorporate pad files into the existing system of creating web pages.
Sorry, I don't follow.

Not many authors label their software apps Spyware, Adware or
Crippleware. . .

Authors don't use Liteware either - a ware type that's used a *lot* on
the ACF/PL web pages and in newsgroup discussions. It's a useful ware
distinction that avoids a lot of misunderstandings (Liteware tells us
there are both free and $ware versions).

Abandonware, Orphanware, discontinued apps and LFW (last freeware
version) apps also are listed on the ACF/PL pages. The authors aren't
going to create pad files for those apps.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware