To Bob Adkins (and everyone else) -- a list of freeware to evaluate

Anonymous

Hi Bob,

If you're still looking for freeware to evaluate, please allow me to
provide you (and any other interested person) with the list of freeware
programs that I use regularly. Some of these will already be familiar,
but hopefully you will find some new favorites!

1by1
http://www.mpesch3.de/

Access Password
http://www.bangla.net/isp/virus/soft/

Ad Aware
(See also Spybot at http://www.safer-networking.org/)

AVG Antivirus
http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

Calculator
http://www.wv-be.com/Download.asp

CDBurnerXP Pro
http://www.snapfiles.com/download/dlcdburnerxp.html

Codec Package for WMP 6.4.exe:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/format/codecdownload.aspx

Copier
http://www.newmail.ru/messages/file.dhtml?file=zgs.nm.ru/Copier.exe

Convert
http://www.joshmadison.com/software/convert/

Dimension 4
http://www.thinkman.com/dimension4/

DirectX 9.0
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/directx/default.aspx

File Renamer
http://www.code.gr/filerenamer/
This renamer is kinda simple and unsophisticated, but it does the job
for everyday use and it is really small.
There is a truly KICK-ASS renamer at
http://www.buzzys.net/flexible.html called Flexible Renamer. Use this
one if you need Industrial Strength file renaming.

Firefox
http://www.mozilla.org/products/
Firefox Extensions
https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/

Foxit PDF Reader
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php

Ice Sword
http://www.xfocus.net/tools/200509/IceSword_en1.12.rar

IZArc
http://www.izarc.org/download.html

Java Runtime http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp
Java Detector http://java.com/en/download/installed.jsp

klmcodec145.exe (AKA K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.45):
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm
(Includes Media Player Classic, Real Alternative, QuickTime Alternative
and BS Player. I couldn't play any media files that I found on the
net---and then a friend suggested this package---and now I can play
everything.)

MesNews
http://www.zoo-logique.org/mesnews/chargement-gb.php

MP3Gain
http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/
(Audacity is overkill for my needs, although it is an AWESOME program.
MP3Gain does all that I desire.)

Notepad++
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/uk/site.htm

Password.xla
http://www.straxx.com/excel/password.html

PDF Creator (with Ghostscript included in the exe)
https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57796

PDF Image Extractor
http://www.rlvision.com/

Registry Monitor
http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/source/regmon.shtml

Registry Tips
http://www.jsiinc.com/reghack.htm
http://www.winguides.com/registry/

RegScanner
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/regscanner.html

RegShot
http://www.snapfiles.com/get/regshot.html

Rootkit Revealer
http://www.sysinternals.com/utilities/rootkitrevealer.html

Scan2PDF
http://www.koma-code.de/ProgsZip/Scan2PDF.zip

StartupCPL.exe
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

TextDiff
http://www.angusj.com/delphi/textdiff.html
(See also: WinMerge from http://sourceforge.net/projects/winmerge)

TextScan
http://www.onesmartclick.com/programming/programmer-utilities.html
(Even if you're not a professional programmer, check this one out.)

Thunderbird

TweakUI
http://www.microsoft.com/ntworkstation/downloads/PowerToys/Networking/NTTweakUI.asp

Unstoppable Copier
http://www.roadkil.net/unstopcp.html

Verschwindibus
http://www.cfs-technologies.com/home/?id=1.4

Whisper 32
http://www.ivory.org/whisper.html

WMP 9 series runtime.exe (AKA wmfdist.exe):
http://www.video-converter.net/faq.htm#8

FileZilla
http://sourceforge.net/projects/filezilla/

Zinf
http://www.zinf.org/download.php
Plays most audio and streams---and RECORDS it to your hard drive if you
want it to.

Happy Holidays!

dfrog

I just picked 'Ice Sword' to take a look at but as soon as I clicked on
link, something started to download............which was stopped and aborted
v quickly, not my favourite thing to happen
dfrog

Mike Andrade

I just picked 'Ice Sword' to take a look at but as soon as I
clicked on link, something started to download............which
was stopped and aborted v quickly, not my favourite thing to
happen dfrog

Wow, who'd a thunk that would happen with a direct download link?

Frank Bohan

Anonymous said:
Hi Bob,

If you're still looking for freeware to evaluate, please allow me to
provide you (and any other interested person) with the list of freeware
programs that I use regularly. Some of these will already be familiar, but
hopefully you will find some new favorites!

*********************************************<snipped>
An excellent list -- I have most of them, but I've made a note to look at
some which I don't have. Just a couple of comments on three of the items:

This URL has two "."s (usually regarded as suspicious) unless it is Linux,
which would account for the .rar extension (I think).

No problem downloading the pack, but when trying to download the page for
later reference, I received an "invalid file name" message. Solved it by
shortening the file name.

I don't use this one, but recommend NetOpener, on the same site.
http://www.code.gr/netopener/

===

Frank Bohan
¶ A girl with a plunging neckline keeps a man on his toes.

Anonymous

dfrog brought next idea :
I just picked 'Ice Sword' to take a look at but as soon as I clicked on link,
something started to download............which was stopped and aborted v
quickly, not my favourite thing to happen
dfrog

Yeah...some of the links provided in my list are direct download links
that start the download immediately. I guess that I didn't post a
head's up about that. Sorry.

Peter Seiler

dfrog - 21.12.2005 00:38 :
I just picked 'Ice Sword' to take a look at but as soon as I clicked on
link, something started to download............which was stopped and aborted
v quickly, not my favourite thing to happen
dfrog

[...]

it is/was a link to the download of that RAR file.

No need quoting again all the 180! quoting lines again!

dfrog

--
Mike

Poets have been mysteriously silent on the subject of cheese.
- G.K. Chesterton

I suppose those of us who are lower on our learning curve than others, give
those others some good opportunities :)
dfrog

Ron May

Message-ID said:
I suppose those of us who are lower on our learning curve than others, give
those others some good opportunities :)
dfrog

But your underlying point about direct download links in general was
right on. Even the OP came back in another thread and acknowledged it
would have been better to include a "heads up."

Bob Adkins

Top notch!

Will check it out!

Top notch. A standard here on ACF.

Good, but mixed reviews.

Will check it out. I'm pretty addicted to the MS Power Toys Calculator.
Another good one is ESB Calc (and ESB Unit Converter!)

Probably the best Freeware burning software out there.

Well, I use the K-Lite Mega CODEC Pack, so it would be redundant. :)

Will check it out. If this is a scanning-printing program, I like iCarbon

See ESB Unit Converter!

Uh huh!

In my book, it's runner up for Freeware of the year.

Yes! I prefer it to Rootkit Revealer

Arguably the all-around best archiver. AFAIK, it handles more file types
than any other.
klmcodec145.exe (AKA K-Lite Mega Codec Pack 1.45):
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm
(Includes Media Player Classic, Real Alternative, QuickTime Alternative
and BS Player. I couldn't play any media files that I found on the
net---and then a friend suggested this package---and now I can play
everything.)

Install it, forgetaboutit! :)

I like RegSeeker.

Use it, like it.

Never used it, but I keep it on hand in case I run across a bad disk.

Top notch!

Thank you Anonymous.