Long StartUptime at the Domain

Dani

Hello

We have the following situation:
- Windows 2003 Domain
- Windows XP SP2

When a Laptop is powered on in the firm, then the windows xp client shows
for nearly for 2 min "Applying computer settings". After that the Login
windows comes.

When the same Laptop is powerd on offline, the it takes some secound, where
the "Applying computer settings" shows.

How can I correct the long time, showing "Applying computer settings" when
the Laptop is connected to the doamin?

Thanking you in advance and awaiting your reply,

Kind Regards
Dani

Malke

Dani said:
Hello

We have the following situation:
- Windows 2003 Domain
- Windows XP SP2

When a Laptop is powered on in the firm, then the windows xp client shows
for nearly for 2 min "Applying computer settings". After that the Login
windows comes.

When the same Laptop is powerd on offline, the it takes some secound,
where the "Applying computer settings" shows.

How can I correct the long time, showing "Applying computer settings" when
the Laptop is connected to the doamin?

When this occurs, in almost all cases it is because the DNS settings are
wrong. The server should look to itself for DNS with forward/reverse lookup
zones set for Internet access. Workstations should only look to the server.

How Domain Controllers Are Located in Windows XP -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314861

Setting Up the Domain Name System for Active Directory -
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;237675

DNS and AD FAQs - http://support.microsoft.com/?id=291382

Malke

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for your post as well as to Malke for the information sharing.

Analysis and Suggestion:
=======================

There are many reasons which might cause a slow logon to domain. I agree
with Malke that most of these issues are caused by DNS settings.
To narrow down the issue, please follow the below steps:

1. Check Event Viewer to see whether the event logs contain any error
information. On both the client and the server, check the System log for
failures during the logon process. Also, check the Directory Service logs
on the server and the DNS logs on the DNS server.

To view Event Viewer in Windows XP, click Start, click Control Panel,
double-click Administrative Tools, and then double-click Event Viewer.

2. Check the IP configuration by running the ipconfig /all command at a
command prompt. Verify that the configuration is correct for your network.

3. Use the Ping utility to verify network connectivity and name
resolution. Ping DNS Server via both the IP address and the server name.

4. Use the nltest /dsgetdc:domainname command to verify that a domain
controller can be located for a specific domain. The NLTest tool is
installed with the Windows XP support tools.

For information about how to install these tools, refer to the following
article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
306794 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306794/EN-US/) How to Install the
Support Tools from the Windows XP CD-ROM

5. Use the NSLookup tool to verify that DNS entries are correctly
registered in DNS. Verify that the server host records and GUID SRV records
can be resolved.

For example, to verify record registration, use the following commands:
nslookup server_name.child_of_root_domain.root_domain.com
nslookup guid._msdcs.root_domain.com

6. If either of these commands does not succeed, use one of the following
methods to reregister records with DNS:

To force host record registration, type ipconfig /registerdns.
To force domain controller service registration, stop and then restart the
Netlogon service.

7. Test with disabling the WebClient service to see if this resolves the
logon delay.

8. Please check whether you have installed any Anti-Virus software on
client PC. If so, temporarily uninstall the AV software and have another
try.

9. Please check whether you have installed Novell client. If so, please
uninstall it and have another try.

10. Please test whether the same issues occur on other PCs which are
located in the same site as your current one.

More information:
==================

How Domain Controllers Are Located in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314861.

You experience a delay when you use your Windows XP computer to log on to a
domain or to connect to a network resource
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;832161

Troubleshooting DNS
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/de2aa69d-1155-4dc9-a6
51-e8362f6a81c81033.mspx?mfr=true

DNS Best Practices
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/59d7a747-48dc-42cc-89
86-c73db47398a21033.mspx?mfr=true

DNS How To
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/38dc9461-3e15-4bc6-80
9a-3bda36384ca21033.mspx?mfr=true

Best practices for DNS client settings in Windows 2000 Server and in
Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;825036

Please let me know the result, after you finish the above tests.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

| From: "Dani" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Long StartUptime at the Domain
| Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 21:06:55 +0200
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Hello
|
| We have the following situation:
| - Windows 2003 Domain
| - Windows XP SP2
|
| When a Laptop is powered on in the firm, then the windows xp client shows
| for nearly for 2 min "Applying computer settings". After that the Login
| windows comes.
|
| When the same Laptop is powerd on offline, the it takes some secound,
where
| the "Applying computer settings" shows.
|
| How can I correct the long time, showing "Applying computer settings"
when
| the Laptop is connected to the doamin?
|
| Thanking you in advance and awaiting your reply,
|
| Kind Regards
| Dani

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Dear Customer,

Regarding your last email , I am just check and follow-up on your status.

I was wondering , if you were available to try conduct test and answer my
questions.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support

> [...]
| 86-c73db47398a21033.mspx?mfr=true
|
| DNS How To

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/38dc9461-3e15-4bc6-80
| 9a-3bda36384ca21033.mspx?mfr=true
|
| Best practices for DNS client settings in Windows 2000 Server and in
| Windows Server 2003
| http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;825036
|
| Please let me know the result, after you finish the above tests.
|
| Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
|
| Sincerely,
| Neo Zhu,
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| =====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.

| |
| | Hello
| |
| | We have the following situation:
| | - Windows 2003 Domain
| | - Windows XP SP2
| |
| | When a Laptop is powered on in the firm, then the windows xp client
shows
| | for nearly for 2 min "Applying computer settings". After that the Login
| | windows comes.
| |
| | When the same Laptop is powerd on offline, the it takes some secound,
| where
| | the "Applying computer settings" shows.
| |
| | How can I correct the long time, showing "Applying computer settings"
| when
| | the Laptop is connected to the doamin?
| |
| | Thanking you in advance and awaiting your reply,
| |
| | Kind Regards
| | Dani
| |
| |
| |
| |

Dani

Hello Malke

Thanks for your tips. I have checked all your links. But everything looks
good...I do not find any error's.

Kind Regards
Dani

Dani

Hello Jian-Ping

1. No Errors

2. IP Config looks good / DNS 1 and DNS 2 shows to the DC's, which are DNS
Servers (also WINS1 and 2)

3. Ping works fine FQDN, can I ping.....DC1 und DC2.

4. nltest /dsgetdc:domainname: no errors

5.nslookup works also fine

6. ....

7. I have disabled the WebClient, nothing better

8. I have uninstalled the AV SEP 11 MR2, nothing better

9. No Novell CLient

10. Not all Clients have the same problem

Thanks for any help

Kind regards
Dani

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Hello,

Thank you for your time and reply.

Based on my research, this issue might also be caused by the startup
scripts.
Please collect the following information to help investigate whether there
are any startup scripts loaded when computer is started.

1. On the problematic computer, click Start, click Run, type Cmd and press
Enter.
2. Type the following command "gpresult /z > D:\gpresult.txt"
3. Please Send the gpresult.txt file to me.
4. On the problematic computer, please run "Regedit" to launch Registry
Editor to add or to modify the following registry entry:

Subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
Entry: UserEnvDebugLevel
Type: REG_DWORD
Value data: 10002 (Hexadecimal)

5. After enabling the registry key, please restart the problematic computer
and then logon it with Administrator.
You may collect the "C:\WINDOWS\Debug\UserMode\userenv.log" and then send
to me at (e-mail address removed)

WARNING: As serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
incorrectly,
please refer to the following KB article to back up the registry before you
modify it:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/en-us

> [...]

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/59d7a747-48dc-42cc-89
| > 86-c73db47398a21033.mspx?mfr=true
| >
| > DNS How To

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/38dc9461-3e15-4bc6-80
| > 9a-3bda36384ca21033.mspx?mfr=true
| >
| > Best practices for DNS client settings in Windows 2000 Server and in
| > Windows Server 2003
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;825036
| >
| > Please let me know the result, after you finish the above tests.
| >
| > Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
| >
| > Sincerely,
| > Neo Zhu,
| > Microsoft Online Support
| > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center

| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so

| > |
| > | Hello
| > |
| > | We have the following situation:
| > | - Windows 2003 Domain
| > | - Windows XP SP2
| > |
| > | When a Laptop is powered on in the firm, then the windows xp client
| > shows
| > | for nearly for 2 min "Applying computer settings". After that the
| > | windows comes.
| > |
| > | When the same Laptop is powerd on offline, the it takes some secound,
| > where
| > | the "Applying computer settings" shows.
| > |
| > | How can I correct the long time, showing "Applying computer settings"
| > when
| > | the Laptop is connected to the doamin?
| > |
| > | Thanking you in advance and awaiting your reply,
| > |
| > | Kind Regards
| > | Dani
| > |
| > |
| > |
| > |

Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT]

Hello,

Regarding your last email , I am just check and follow-up on your status.

I was wondering , if you were available to try conduct test and provide
the necessary information and logs.

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely,
Neo Zhu,
Microsoft Online Support
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Jian-Ping Zhu [MSFT])
| Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 07:59:58 GMT
| Subject: Re: Long StartUptime at the Domain
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
|
| Hello,
|
| Thank you for your time and reply.
|
| Based on my research, this issue might also be caused by the startup
| scripts.
| Please collect the following information to help investigate whether
there
| are any startup scripts loaded when computer is started.
|
| 1. On the problematic computer, click Start, click Run, type Cmd and
press
| Enter.
| 2. Type the following command "gpresult /z > D:\gpresult.txt"
| 3. Please Send the gpresult.txt file to me.
| 4. On the problematic computer, please run "Regedit" to launch Registry
| Editor to add or to modify the following registry entry:
|
| Subkey: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows
| NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
| Entry: UserEnvDebugLevel
| Type: REG_DWORD
| Value data: 10002 (Hexadecimal)
|
| 5. After enabling the registry key, please restart the problematic
computer
| and then logon it with Administrator.
| You may collect the "C:\WINDOWS\Debug\UserMode\userenv.log" and then send
| to me at (e-mail address removed)
|
| WARNING: As serious problems might occur if you modify the registry
| incorrectly,
| please refer to the following KB article to back up the registry before
you
| modify it:
|
| How to back up and restore the registry in Windows
| http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/en-us
|
| Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you. :)
|
| Sincerely,
| Neo Zhu,
| Microsoft Online Support
| Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
|
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| =====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| =====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "Dani" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Re: Long StartUptime at the Domain
| | Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 00:06:13 +0200
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
| |
| | Hello Jian-Ping
| |
| | 1. No Errors
| |
| | 2. IP Config looks good / DNS 1 and DNS 2 shows to the DC's, which are
| DNS
| | Servers (also WINS1 and 2)
| |
| | 3. Ping works fine FQDN, can I ping.....DC1 und DC2.
| |
| | 4. nltest /dsgetdc:domainname: no errors
| |
| | 5.nslookup works also fine
| |
| | 6. ....
| |
| | 7. I have disabled the WebClient, nothing better
| |
| | 8. I have uninstalled the AV SEP 11 MR2, nothing better
| |
| | 9. No Novell CLient
| |
| | 10. Not all Clients have the same problem
| |
| | Thanks for any help
| |
| | Kind regards
| | Dani
| |
| |
| |

> [...]
| | > 9a-3bda36384ca21033.mspx?mfr=true
| | >
| | > Best practices for DNS client settings in Windows 2000 Server and in
| | > Windows Server 2003
| | > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;825036
| | >
| | > Please let me know the result, after you finish the above tests.
| | >
| | > Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
| | >
| | > Sincerely,
| | > Neo Zhu,
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | > Microsoft Global Technical Support Center
| | >
| | > Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
| | > =====================================================
| | > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| | > that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| | > =====================================================
| | > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no

| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > shows
| | > |
| | > where
| | > |
| | > when
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |

| |
| |
| |

robinmccluney

Hello, try chnaging your group policy from syncronos to asycronos so
that comuter policy aplies before the users logon

Its a simple Windows 2000 trick which makes best excuses towards a bad
network.

You can put in at technet 'winlogon'

take it easy