Logitech wingman formula force serial

I can't get my wheel to work on xp pro.
I've searched for drivers for the serial port to use this wheel and i can't
find any.
Does anyone know how to get this wheel to work?
If not, will a serial to usb adapter work?
Thanks in advance,
needforspeed63

Jimmy S.

Hi needforspeed,

Have you already tried installing it using Control Panel /
Game Controllers? You may be able to add it there.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

Jimmy,
Yes i have, but it will not install without serial driver for wheel.
Logitech does not support serial port on win xp, only me and earlier.
Thanks for the response.

needforspeed63 said:
I can't get my wheel to work on xp pro.
I've searched for drivers for the serial port to use this wheel and i can't
find any.
Does anyone know how to get this wheel to work?
If not, will a serial to usb adapter work?
Thanks in advance,
needforspeed63

Jimmy S.

Hi,

Try to add it as a generic "Steering Wheel". That should work.

--

needforspeed63 said:
I can't get my wheel to work on xp pro.
I've searched for drivers for the serial port to use this wheel and i can't
find any.
Does anyone know how to get this wheel to work?
If not, will a serial to usb adapter work?
Thanks in advance,
needforspeed63

Joshua Smith [MSFT]

If this is truly a serial device and not a gameport device then it isn't
supported in Windows XP. Serial game controllers support was discontinued in
Windows XP.

--
Joshua Smith
DirectInput Test Lab

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights

Jimmy S. said:
Hi,

Try to add it as a generic "Steering Wheel". That should work.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

MS Assisted Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
rights.

Jimmy S. said:
Hi needforspeed,

Have you already tried installing it using Control Panel /
Game Controllers? You may be able to add it there.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

MS Assisted Support:
http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
rights.

message
I can't get my wheel to work on xp pro.
I've searched for drivers for the serial port to use this wheel and i
can't
find any.
Does anyone know how to get this wheel to work?
If not, will a serial to usb adapter work?
Thanks in advance,
needforspeed63

Jimmy S.

Thanks Joshua.

I always assume that it's really a gameport device and not a serial one,
however it's not always a good idea to assume such things. ;-)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

| If this is truly a serial device and not a gameport device then it isn't
| supported in Windows XP. Serial game controllers support was discontinued in
| Windows XP.
|
| --
| Joshua Smith
| DirectInput Test Lab
| Microsoft
| -----
|
| Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
|
| This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
|

| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi,
| >
| > Try to add it as a generic "Steering Wheel". That should work.
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Assisted Support:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| > rights.
| >
| > message | >> Jimmy,
| >> Yes i have, but it will not install without serial driver for wheel.
| >> Logitech does not support serial port on win xp, only me and earlier.
| >> Thanks for the response.

Jimmy and Joshua,
Yes as stated in my first post it is serial port and as i stated i know xp
does not support serial port.
I was asking if there was any way to make it work,
as in a serial to usb adaptor, or another software, etc.
Thanks again.

Jimmy S. said:
Thanks Joshua.

I always assume that it's really a gameport device and not a serial one,
however it's not always a good idea to assume such things. ;-)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

| If this is truly a serial device and not a gameport device then it isn't
| supported in Windows XP. Serial game controllers support was discontinued in
| Windows XP.
|
| --
| Joshua Smith
| DirectInput Test Lab
| Microsoft
| -----
|
| Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
|
| This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
|

| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi,
| >
| > Try to add it as a generic "Steering Wheel". That should work.
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S. http://mvp.support.microsoft.com
| >
| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site: http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Assisted Support:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| > rights.
| >
| > message | >> Jimmy,
| >> Yes i have, but it will not install without serial driver for wheel.
| >> Logitech does not support serial port on win xp, only me and earlier.
| >> Thanks for the response.

Joshua Smith [MSFT]

Hi Needforspeed63,

For it to work someone would have to write a driver that looks for the
device on say the USB ports, and they'd need to build some kind of
USB-to-Serial converter for it. I do not know of any such device in
production. There are USB-to-Gameport converters that various companies
make, but even those don't support things like Force Feedback or digital
devices. Unfortunately the companies that made serial (and largely gameport)
devices have determined that they have "End of Life" these devices and most
likely have little (if any) support for them. It would be too costly to
develop a new driver or hardware to support them.

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft
-----

Jimmy S. said:
Thanks Joshua.

I always assume that it's really a gameport device and not a serial one,
however it's not always a good idea to assume such things. ;-)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

| If this is truly a serial device and not a gameport device then it
isn't
| supported in Windows XP. Serial game controllers support was
discontinued in
| Windows XP.
|
| --
| Joshua Smith
| DirectInput Test Lab
| Microsoft
| -----
|
| Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
|
| This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
|

| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi,
| >
| > Try to add it as a generic "Steering Wheel". That should work.
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S.
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site:
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Assisted Support:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| > rights.
| >
| > message | >> Jimmy,
| >> Yes i have, but it will not install without serial driver for wheel.
| >> Logitech does not support serial port on win xp, only me and
earlier.
| >> Thanks for the response.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits

in

Joshua,
Thanks for the info and your time.
Logitech has the drivers for the wheel,
i thought i could get a serial to usb adapter that are available at radio
shack
to use with the wheel if it would work.
They are $41.95,part # 26-183.
I'll try this, and if it works i'll leave a post,
so if anyone in the future has this problem,
maybe it will help them.
Thanks again!

Jimmy S. said:
Thanks Joshua.

I always assume that it's really a gameport device and not a serial one,
however it's not always a good idea to assume such things. ;-)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

| If this is truly a serial device and not a gameport device then it
isn't
| supported in Windows XP. Serial game controllers support was
discontinued in
| Windows XP.
|
| --
| Joshua Smith
| DirectInput Test Lab
| Microsoft
| -----
|
| Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
|
| This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
|

| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi,
| >
| > Try to add it as a generic "Steering Wheel". That should work.
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User
| > Jimmy S.
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

| > Game FAQs: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site:
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Assisted Support:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any
| > rights.
| >
| > message | >> Jimmy,
| >> Yes i have, but it will not install without serial driver for wheel.
| >> Logitech does not support serial port on win xp, only me and
earlier.
| >> Thanks for the response.

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits

in

Joshua Smith [MSFT]

Hi Needforspeed63,

This probably isn't going to work. The problem is the Logitech driver
isn't going to do this. It was written to use the serial bus. Without
rewritting it it isn't going to know to use the USB bus.

Joshua Smith
DirectInput and OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft
-----

Joshua Smith said:
[...]

rights

message

:

Thanks Joshua.

I always assume that it's really a gameport device and not a serial
one,
however it's not always a good idea to assume such things. ;-)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

| If this is truly a serial device and not a gameport device then it
isn't
| supported in Windows XP. Serial game controllers support was
discontinued in
| Windows XP.
|
| --
| Joshua Smith
| DirectInput Test Lab
| Microsoft
| -----
|
| Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
|
| This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights

| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi,
| >
| > Try to add it as a generic "Steering Wheel". That should work.
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell /
User
| > Jimmy S.
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

| > Game FAQs:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site:
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Assisted Support:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer
any
| > rights.

in
| > message | >> Jimmy,
| >> Yes i have, but it will not install without serial driver for
wheel.
| >> Logitech does not support serial port on win xp, only me and
earlier.
| >> Thanks for the response.

User
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits

wrote
in
wheel
and i

Joshua,
Thanks for the info, you the man!!

Joshua Smith said:
Hi Needforspeed63,

For it to work someone would have to write a driver that looks for
the
device on say the USB ports, and they'd need to build some kind of
USB-to-Serial converter for it. I do not know of any such device in
production. There are USB-to-Gameport converters that various companies
make, but even those don't support things like Force Feedback or digital
devices. Unfortunately the companies that made serial (and largely
gameport)
devices have determined that they have "End of Life" these devices and
most
likely have little (if any) support for them. It would be too costly to
develop a new driver or hardware to support them.

Joshua Smith
OpenGL Test Lab
Microsoft
-----

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security

rights

message
Jimmy and Joshua,
Yes as stated in my first post it is serial port and as i stated i know
xp
does not support serial port.
I was asking if there was any way to make it work,
as in a serial to usb adaptor, or another software, etc.
Thanks again.

:

Thanks Joshua.

I always assume that it's really a gameport device and not a serial
one,
however it's not always a good idea to assume such things. ;-)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

| If this is truly a serial device and not a gameport device then it
isn't
| supported in Windows XP. Serial game controllers support was
discontinued in
| Windows XP.
|
| --
| Joshua Smith
| DirectInput Test Lab
| Microsoft
| -----
|
| Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
|
| This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights

| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message
| | > Hi,
| >
| > Try to add it as a generic "Steering Wheel". That should work.
| >
| > --
| > Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell /
User
| > Jimmy S.
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

| > Game FAQs:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| > Visit my MSN Zone.com and Gaming Help Site:
http://mvps.org/nibblesnbits
| > MS Assisted Support:
| > http://support.microsoft.com/select/?target=assistance
| > My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer
any
| > rights.

in
| > message | >> Jimmy,
| >> Yes i have, but it will not install without serial driver for
wheel.
| >> Logitech does not support serial port on win xp, only me and
earlier.
| >> Thanks for the response.

User