Logitech G9 gaming mouse - mini review

Reaction score
Just taken delivery of one of the new G9 mice from Logitech and i have to say I'm very pleased with it:thumb:
I recently bought a Razor Copperhead and really struggled to get used to the button positions and its low-slung feel, so I ended up selling it on. However, the G9 immediately felt 'right'.
Here's a few points:
:thumb: It's wired - the wire being braided (which is supposed to reduce snagging) - I didn't even notice the wire was there while using it. (Ilike the freedom from the possibility of battery failure during an online game)
:thumb: It comes with a series of weights (4x4g and 4x7g) that you slot into a cartridge at the back of the mouse to suit your preferences. You can use up to 4 of the supplied 8 weights at a time, which gives quite a bit of flexibility.
:thumb: It also comes with two interchangeable grips - one is a wider, with rubberised feel; the other, narrower, one is more of a textured plastic. Both felt comfortable to me, but the wider one has more thumb support. These can be removed or installed very easily, but once in place fit securely so there's no rattle.
:thumb: It has 2 thumb buttons, well placed, and positive to the touch
:thumb: The central scroll wheel can be adjusted to be ratcheted or frictionless via a small button on the base of the mouse.
:thumb: The laser is highly sensitive and the mouse can be set up to 3200dpi.
:thumb: Sensitivity can be changed on the fly with a couple of additional buttons at the top of the main left ('firing') button.
:thumb: An LED display indicates the current sensitivity setting and you can select any colour to suit different configurations or just your mood.
:thumb: You can store up to five unique usage profiles in the mouse itself, again selectable by a button on the base of the mouse.
:thumb: There are three large pads that very quickly slide around like they are on ice - I use mine on a Steelpad and it's so far prooving to be an excellent combination.
:thumb: The software (that you download from the Logitech site to get the latest:user: ) is comprehensive, providing an enourmous number of possibilities (slight downside is that it takes a while to understand how to do everything:( - but a manual is supplied on a CD;) )

The whole thing comes robustly packaged with Logitech's usual attention to detail and quality. Price is quite high at around £55 in the UK, but it's look, feel, style, shape, usability and functionality are absolutely superb. I have no doubt that a wireless version will emerge soon, but I suspsect that the current wired one will meet any gamer's needs as well as anyone who just wants a cool mouse for general use. The only people who won't be satisfied are the lefties out there, who must by now be feeling mightily overlooked:blush: ...but for right-handed peeps, I reckon the G9 will make you wonder why such a mouse hasn't been produced before:bow:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Great to read that 1nt, I am a big G7 fan, Even though i had to send one back as it started 'double clicking' when i dont want it too. Very annoying. I noticed the new one i have did it once a few days ago. :( Hope this dont mean its gonna go the same way as my old one, as they are getting hard to find.

If i had to get a replacement other than the G7 then it would be a choice of this or the MX Revolution. If the G9 was wireless i wouldn't think twice about ordering one. :thumb:

So does it have any bad points?

Whats the Setpoint 4.0 like? (That is the latest one is it? I am still on 3.30) I saw it looks a bit different to the older versions.

Thanks for taking the time to write this. :)

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments V_R

The mouse I have been using until getting the G9 is the wireless G7. A superb mouse for general purposes and gaming, but I had two problems with it:
1. I couldn't use it on my Icepad (glass)
2. The two battery setup (one charging while ones in the mouse) works well but battery life with intensive use can be a few houyrs - more than once in the middle of a game (usually at a key moment) the battery would run out. In the few seconds to swap for the recharged one, i would have been killed or missed an opportunity for a frag or something.

For this last reason I specifically looked for a wired mouse.

So far, I haven;t found anything that I would consider bad or even slightly poor about the G9- but i have yet to use it extensively online.

The new setpoint is something i have to get used to though, so I haven't made my mind up about that yet.

Just a note on the MX Revolution - I have one at work and would not use it for games - in fact I prefer the G9 for normal use over the Revolution.

You say if it was wireless, you would go for the G9 straight away - I haven't noticed any loss of freedom of movement in the G9 over my wireless G7, and as I find recharging batteries always has a downside, I reckon the G9 is ideal for long gaming sessions.:thumb:

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Heads up 1nteger for the mini-review - interesting.

I've read a couple of other reviews online of the G9 and they've both been positive.

I'm using a G7 atm but it has gone faulty once, I've repaired it - but it still displays little glitches now and again, so I'm resigned to replacing it sooner or later.

If I were to replace it right now I'd get the G9. 3200dpi is not to be sniffed at :)

On another machine I have the corded G5 which, imo, is every bit as good as the G7 apart from the cord, which tbh I don't really notice anyway. The cord on the G5 is braided as well.

As for the MX Revolution, if you search it seems there's nothing but problems with it. Those of you who visit BBF may have noticed both Kiwi and Phicks have had problems with theirs.

It would seem Logitech lost the plot with their cordless mice after the MX1000, which is a bit of a shame really.

I also couldn't get on with a Razer mouse, for exactly the same reasons as 1nteger. It's interesting to note the Razer mice are corded.

Seems to me high resolution and sharp responses do not go hand in hand with cordless laser mice. Maybe. Perhaps.

Whatever, unless something radical that's cordless and works well comes out soon, the G9 will be my next mouse of choice.

1nteger: Thanks again for posting that, very informative :thumb:

Reaction score
You're more than welcome Flopps:)
If the G9 hadn't just come out, I think i would have gone for the G5 (corded G7) because I think the G7 is an excellent all-round mouse but I often wished it had a cord. I think cordless stuff is only of marginal benefit...manufacturers have exploited the knowledge that peeeps like me simply must have the latest thing - I always fall for the thing that seems more advanced...but now I'm getting a bit more savvy and realise that a wired mouse probably responds more speedily and accurately and costs less than wireless (usually). Put a wired G9 on the scales against a wireless one and my common sense would tell me to go wired...but..er...my nature would probably make me buy the wireless one as well!:nod: :lol:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
You know what, the more i read about the G9 the more i like it.

3200dpi!? and i thought the 2000dpi of the G7 was good!

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Nice mini review :D
looks like logitech has yet anouther winner on thier hands.
oh btw, the G5 is a grand mouse :)

Reaction score
TriplexDread said:
I thought my MX1000 was good :'(

I think the MX1000 is a fantastic mouse - I had one that i used extensilvely for online gaming in UT2004, but the fire button gave up eventually and by then other mice came out. I still use one at work and if u have one in good condition I don't think there's anything out there worth changing to yet - even the G9:thumb:

Ask a Question