Logitech G7 Mouse repair

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I mentioned a week or two ago in another thread my Logitech G7 Mouse went belly up on me. The scroll wheel didn't click down anymore; the scroll wheel side click movements were sluggish and it would perform random fucnctions on the screen.

In the end it became unstable and unusable with random screen happenings like some windows opening by themselves and 'flashing' or 'oscillating' windows (Win XP). I've had the mouse since December 2005 so it was out of warranty.

So I ditched it for a while and decided today to have a look inside.

I couldn't figure out how to take the thing apart so in the end I had to remove the label that showed model number and stuff and the three glide pads fitted.

This revealed four screws. Removing these enabled me to take the top off.

Removing one internal screw allowed me to remove the scroll wheel, spring and mounting bracket. Sorry, I didn't think at the time to take pix, wish I had now.

Inspecting the scroll wheel assembly I noticed two small hairs wrapped round the centre, which I removed and I also cleaned all scroll wheel surfaces with meths and cotton buds.

On reassembly, it worked perfectly again. Yay! Cos this really is the best mouse I've ever used. especially for gaming, and so it should be at an average price of about £54.00. Odd to think two little hairs could cause all that upset.

Only prob was, now I had no glide pads. They came off in two layers, the top shiny part peeled off of a spongy under layer. The under layer was a little tricky to remove and did not come off complete.

I cleaned all adhesive residue off with meths and some cloth. I considered super gluing the top layers of glide pads on again, but I thought the quality might be compromised without the spongy under layer.

Then I remembered I had some Teflon mouse pads that came with my BFG 8800GTS and fitted several of those.

And they worked like a charm, if anything the mouse moves better now.

In the photo below you can see where the screws are located. There are two to the right, one at the left and one middle lower.

So, if ever the same thing happens to you, you now know how to take apart your G7.

G7.jpg

Reaction score
Well done Mr Flopps.:thumb:
Sometimes something that looks tricky or done for the 1st time turns out to easy.
I find a methodical approach works.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Taking stuff to bits is always fun isn't it :D I've cleaned the inside of my mouse a few times as the scroll wheel sometimes has a mind of its own - although it's a Dell Optical mouse with a single screw so it's not too bad to take apart.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ah, that was too easy for you ... you is the type that will take anything apart to see how it works, especially as you think you ain't gonna break it if you think it's already broken.

:thumb:

* there must be some Scots blood in you *

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Nice one Flops, funnily enough, my left click seems to double click sometimes when i just press it once.....Was looking on the Logitech support forums and its not an uncommon problem....:rolleyes:

I think you get a three year warranty with them though, will have to check.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I got my G7 from Amazon on the 6th June last year, phoned them today regarding the double clicking issue that seems to have developed and they said fine send it back and we will replace it. Sweet! :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
V_R said:
I got my G7 from Amazon on the 6th June last year, phoned them today regarding the double clicking issue that seems to have developed and they said fine send it back and we will replace it. Sweet! :D
Got the return to them no problem, but they just refunded me in full rather than sending a replacement!!

Added bonus was that i returned it to them through work (meaning i didn't pay for postage) and they paid the return postage, so i actually made a fiver out of it! :p

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Nice one VR...

Amazon are just the greatest aren't they.....I luv em...:D

Ask a Question