login security

G

We have Windows XP Home Edition. There are four family members that use the computer. Three of the members have limited access, while the other member (me) has administrator access. The problem is, the other day, I went to change my password everything seemed to go fine. However, the computer had been going very slow that day & giving me troubles. I logged out. Later that day I went to log in & enter my password & the computer is stating that it is an invalid password. I only use one of two passwords & I have tried them both along with several other tries. My questions are: 1) Is there anyway to get into my login to change that password? 2) Or, is there anyway to go into one of the other users & change their status to admin? Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated! Thanks! Sher

W

Will Denny

Hi Sheri

At the Welcome Screen press Ctrl-Alt-Del twice and then OK.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| We have Windows XP Home Edition. There are four family members that use the computer. Three of the members have limited access, while the other member (me) has administrator access. The problem is, the other day, I went to change my password everything seemed to go fine. However, the computer had been going very slow that day & giving me troubles. I logged out. Later that day I went to log in & enter my password & the computer is stating that it is an invalid password. I only use one of two passwords & I have tried them both along with several other tries. My questions are: 1) Is there anyway to get into my login to change that password? 2) Or, is there anyway to go into one of the other users & change their status to admin? Any help with this matter is greatly appreciated! Thanks! Sheri
|

B

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

Simply log in using the built-in Administrator account and modify
the desired account.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:

You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
having both at once. -- RAH

G

I do not know what the password would be by doing this either! I cam across this screen to login in as admin, but unable to get in either! Please help! Thanks!

W

Will Denny

Hi

Press Ctrl-Alt-Del twice at the Welcome Screen - see what occurs.

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

| I do not know what the password would be by doing this either! I cam across this screen to login in as admin, but unable to get in either! Please help! Thanks!

G

I tried that and it only brought up another login screen that you have to have a password for as well. Any other ideas?

E

Edward W. Thompson

It only requires a password if you set one when you installed otherwise
leave the space for "password" blank. With respect to the name, unless you
set a name when you installed enter "administrator". Hope this helps.

ssaville said:
I tried that and it only brought up another login screen that you have to
have a password for as well. Any other ideas?

G

I was finally able to get in to the system & correct the error. Your assistance with this matter has been greatly appreciated! Sheri

Ask a Question