Login problem with Windows 2000

D

David Lansing

My mother just got a computer from her office that they were going to throw away, but instead they let her have it.

It has windows 2000 and was part of a domain. Since it was no longer part of the domain, I went to "System Properties" -> Computer Name tab and de-selected the domain and changed it to a workgroup. Then the PC asked to reboot.

Once it came up, we can no longer login. Her user id she had does not let her in.

What is the next step?

--

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

She needs to ask the system administrator at her office for the password that goes with the local administrator's account. It's like getting a car: It's not much good without the car keys.
My mother just got a computer from her office that they were going to throw away, but instead they let her have it.

It has windows 2000 and was part of a domain. Since it was no longer part of the domain, I went to "System Properties" -> Computer Name tab and de-selected the domain and changed it to a workgroup. Then the PC asked to reboot.

Once it came up, we can no longer login. Her user id she had does not let her in.

What is the next step?

--

D

David Lansing

They gave that to here and it doesn't work either.

Any other thoughts?

--

--
Daddio
She needs to ask the system administrator at her office for the password that goes with the local administrator's account. It's like getting a car: It's not much good without the car keys.

What is the next step?

--

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

If they are worth their salt then they created two admin
accounts on each PC, just in case one goes bad.

Any other thoughts?

--

--
Daddio

What is the next step?

--

D

David Lansing

That is not very helpful? I need a solution, not commentary on the adequacy of the IT workers at a non-profit.

--

--
Daddio

Any other thoughts?

--

--
Daddio

What is the next step?

--

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

What has profit/non-profit got to do with this? Are you suggesting
that those working for non-profit organisations are generally
incompetent? I work for several such organisations and I find
that their competency in any area, not just information technology,
matches that of commercial organisations. I found highly
competent people in both, and a few challenged ones too . . .

In my previous reply I suggested that you might push the IT
staff at the donor company to try a little harder, to give you at
least one password that works. If they are unwilling or unable
to do this then you can reset the administrator's password
with a bootdisk from here. It's scary stuff but it works:

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/bootdisk.html

That is not very helpful? I need a solution, not commentary on the adequacy of the IT workers at a non-profit.

--

--
Daddio

Any other thoughts?

--

--
Daddio

What is the next step?

--

D

David Lansing

Thank you we will try that.

Just for the record, you were the one who said "if they are worth their salt"... not me.

--

--
Daddio

--

--
Daddio

Any other thoughts?

--

--
Daddio

What is the next step?

--

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

I did but I made no discriminatory reference to staff of non-profit
versus other organisations. You did.

Thank you we will try that.

Just for the record, you were the one who said "if they are worth their salt"... not me.

--

--
Daddio

--

--
Daddio

Any other thoughts?

--

--
Daddio

What is the next step?

--

Ask a Question