Lockup help needed

Ook

I have a FoxConn mother board, AMD Duron 1300 cpu with big fan/heat sink.
One WD 60GB hard drive, one Belkin wireless network card. Antech 300w
supply, which I've swapped with some generic 350w supply. Had Asus nvidia
GeForce4000MX board, swapped it with my old trusty GeForce2. If I run
anything that is cpu/video intensive, the machine locks, including games or
cpu/video stress test programs. The machine is not that old, there is no
dust build up. Boot to Win2000 or Win98 to eliminate OS specific issues,
same thing.

I'm betting I need to R&R the cpu heat sink/fan. Anyone have any other
ideas?

Michael Hawes

"Ook" <Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam> wrote in message
I have a FoxConn mother board, AMD Duron 1300 cpu with big fan/heat sink.
One WD 60GB hard drive, one Belkin wireless network card. Antech 300w
supply, which I've swapped with some generic 350w supply. Had Asus nvidia
GeForce4000MX board, swapped it with my old trusty GeForce2. If I run
anything that is cpu/video intensive, the machine locks, including games or
cpu/video stress test programs. The machine is not that old, there is no
dust build up. Boot to Win2000 or Win98 to eliminate OS specific issues,
same thing.

I'm betting I need to R&R the cpu heat sink/fan. Anyone have any other
ideas?
Cold be PSU or HDD. Download drive manufacturers diagnostic and test the
drive. Try to boeeow a decent brand PSU to test with. Have you run memory
tester?
Mike.

Rod Speed

Michael Hawes said:
"Ook" <Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete
the Don't send me any freakin' spam> wrote in message

Cold be PSU or HDD. Download drive manufacturers diagnostic and
test the drive. Try to boeeow a decent brand PSU to test with. Have
you run memory tester?

Its illegal to boeeow.

Ook

Michael Hawes said:
"Ook" <Ook Don't send me any freakin' spam at zootal dot com delete the
Don't send me any freakin' spam> wrote in message

Cold be PSU or HDD. Download drive manufacturers diagnostic and test
the drive. Try to boeeow a decent brand PSU to test with. Have you run
memory tester?
Mike.

I ended up removing the Duron and putting in an xp3000+. And surprise, the
problem went away. I put the Duron in another box and it's running OK also.
Not quite sure what to think. Maybe mobo did not work well with Duron?