Location of mail in "Windows.Old"

Riptide

I had to reload Vista which meant that I lost my saved e-mails and my
contacts list.
The reload process creates the Windows.Old file from where I was able to
recover my Contacts, (my IE Favourites & my Documents), but I cannot identify
where the old mail is located. Can you provide me with the path, name of file
etc.
Thanks.

Gary VanderMolen

Take a look in
\windows.old\Users\username\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\Local Folders\...
Each email is in an individual file, with a long cryptic filename ending in .eml.

Riptide

Thanks Gary, That worked!. Funny though, I could only get to it by entering
the path into the search window. In the "live" Windows I can see all of the
folders in "explore" but that doesn't happen in Windows.Old. No big deal I
guess - just an oddity.

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

Riptide said:
I had to reload Vista which meant that I lost my saved e-mails and my
contacts list.
The reload process creates the Windows.Old file from where I was able to
recover my Contacts, (my IE Favourites & my Documents), but I cannot identify
where the old mail is located. Can you provide me with the path, name of file
etc.
Thanks.

Gary VanderMolen

By default Windows does not show folders with the 'hidden' attribute.
AppData has the hidden attribute. To change that default go to
Folder Options, View.

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

Riptide said:
I had to reload Vista which meant that I lost my saved e-mails and my
contacts list.
The reload process creates the Windows.Old file from where I was able to
recover my Contacts, (my IE Favourites & my Documents), but I cannot identify
where the old mail is located. Can you provide me with the path, name of file
etc.
Thanks.

Riptide

That occurred to me after I sent my last comment so I found my way around to
change it, but thanks for letting me know. Your help is much appreciated as I
recovered some important saved correspondence. I am now backing those up to a
CD now I know where emails lurk on the C:\ ........just in case Vista blows
another tire.

"Riptide" <Vancouver, BC> wrote in message I had to reload Vista which meant that I lost my saved e-mails and my
contacts list.
The reload process creates the Windows.Old file from where I was able to
recover my Contacts, (my IE Favourites & my Documents), but I cannot identify
where the old mail is located. Can you provide me with the path, name of file
etc.
Thanks.

Gary VanderMolen

You're welcome. Good to hear about your success.

--
Gary VanderMolen [MS-MVP WLM]

: